The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Closing Ceremony Flag Bearers - Heather Moyse and Kaillie Humphries

hockeyville88

At least a dozen very worthy candidates, I have no problem with this selection at all. :)

If I were to pick, it would have been Alex Bilodeau and his brother Frederic. But I believe he's already left Sochi, so not really feasible. Would have liked to see Junio and Denny Morrison as well.

Not sure if I agree with the Junio fans. The Olympics, at the end of the day, are about achievements in sports. Kaillie and Heather successfully defended their gold medal. And they competed with the right attitude and represented Canada well.

Gilmore Junio was a great story and a great example of good sportsmanship, but as a speed skater, his story still has chapters to be written. He will be back in 2018 (hopefully) and will be a contender then. If he wins a medal it'll be the final chapter in a great story and he'll make a great and worthy flag bearer.

And yeah, Alex and Frederic would have been great, but they have returned home to Montreal

Not sure if I agree with the Junio fans. The Olympics, at the end of the day, are about achievements in sports. Kaillie and Heather successfully defended their gold medal. And they competed with the right attitude and represented Canada well.

Gilmore Junio was a great story and a great example of good sportsmanship, but as a speed skater, his story still has chapters to be written. He will be back in 2018 (hopefully) and will be a contender then. If he wins a medal it'll be the final chapter in a great story and he'll make a great and worthy flag bearer.

And yeah, Alex and Frederic would have been great, but they have returned home to Montreal b

I agree and no argument from me that the girls deserve the honour and congrats...but Junio and the Canadian ski coach who gave the Russian skier one of his ski"s are the people that tug at the heart strings..and go along way to make the Olympics what it is.

I'm glad they chose Kaillie and Heather. In 2010, their victory was kinda overshadowed (well, it was really overshadowed) by a very busy day--there was the silver in the women short track relay, Clara won her bronze, and there was also another silver in bobsled. And of course, the quarterfinal hockey between Canada and Russia. Also, it seemed that the Whistler athletes got a little shortshrift in comparison to the Vancouver athletes.

Beyond that, in a way that Virtue & Moir started the momentum for Canada's gold medal performances in 2010, Kaillie and Heather changed the narrative. For several days with no gold, it seemed Canadians were getting used to bad breaks, bad luck, and bad judging. Kaillie & Heather, in the first day, seemed to get caught up in the story, seemingly too far behind the Americans (despite better driving) to get the gold. The media and most viewers were adjusting their expectations on them...except them. Their comeback is just as great as the Canadian women's hockey team's.

Could have been 10-12 good nominees. Sign of a successful Olympics for Canada.

Pretty much.

What a great problem to have and a fun change in attitude.

Own the podium is still a success ans we did very well in Sochi. Good showing by all our athletes and not in that "nice try" kind of Canadian way but in our new win it all 'tude.

Dufour-Lapointe's say "bonjour!" #Du-Mille-Four

But yeah I'd agree with Heather and Kaillie, or Scott and Tessa, or Alex Bilodeau who defended his gold would've been good too

I think Scott and Tessa were originally pegged, but the Russian judge decided to give the flag to the Americans... B)

I don't see why people would go home early. If I was Bilodeau I would have stayed and partied the whole time, could of had like 12 kids on the way by now.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you have a choice.

Athletes who's events are over early need to make room for newly arriving athletes. Past a certain point, you can stay for the closing ceremonies because everyone has arrived, but Bilodeau wasn't the only one who had already headed home. Mark McMorris left shortly after his competition was over as well.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you have a choice.

Athletes who's events are over early need to make room for newly arriving athletes. Past a certain point, you can stay for the closing ceremonies because everyone has arrived, but Bilodeau wasn't the only one who had already headed home. Mark McMorris left shortly after his competition was over as well.

Also, there isn't anything wrong with going home early. Some people wanna take the gold medal home and keep it safe.

lol

Archived