The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What has Trevor inherited and what can be done?

Brick Tamland

We all remember MG talking about big changes coming last season. Nothing happened. What is there that Trevor can possibly do? So, he asks all the NTCs if they would waive? Assume they say no.

We have approx 5 million in cap space after signing our RFAs. That is one, moderately decent player from somewhere else likely being courted by others.

It really feels like until these NTCs run out, we have a revolving door of bottom 6 players and fingers crossed for a home run from a few of them. Even running Horvat and some of the other youngsters out there, they still need to over achieve.

If I was Trevor, I guess I would gut the scouting and hope to be employed long enough to see the fruits of those firings and hirings.

I just don't see major changes, again.

Honestly, Trevor actually walked into a pretty good situation. Now that Luongo has been traded, the team pay roll and cap situation is in a pretty good shape. We finally have cap space to sign an impact free agent. There are also currently some good young players ready to take on bigger roles next season....Eddie Lack, Chris Tanev, Zach Kassian, Niklas Jensen, Frank Corrado, Ryan Stanton...and 4-5 really good prospects currently in Junior. Not to mention we have the 6th overall pick this year.

It was a bad season, but honestly, we have a lot going for us this off season.

We're in good shape. Goaltenders aren't as valuable as one might think IMO. It's been proven enough with SC winners in the last 10 years... Spend on forwards and blow them out of the building. I'm tired of us being outscored. We need to rise up like CHI town and gun gun gun. All our D's are top 4. Swedish tandem, lets focus on getting some firepower. E Kane, cheap Gaborik, Pray for Jensen, Shink.

What I would do is probably trade certain players to teams contending for the Stanley Cup. I'd deal the Sedins to Detroit, Kesler to Tampa, and meanwhile let the team tank next season, and rebuild through the draft. Counting on getting a better scouting staff led by Jim Benning, and drafting either McDavid or Barzel, and proceeding to rebuild the team around them. Only then could we start attracting top free agents, who might actually take pay cuts to play here if everything is in place.

What I would do is probably trade certain players to teams contending for the Stanley Cup. I'd deal the Sedins to Detroit, Kesler to Tampa, and meanwhile let the team tank next season, and rebuild through the draft. Counting on getting a better scouting staff led by Jim Benning, and drafting either McDavid or Barzel, and proceeding to rebuild the team around them. Only then could we start attracting top free agents, who might actually take pay cuts to play here if everything is in place.

I would negotiate a three-way deal with Detroit and Buffalo, to somehow get Buffalo's first rounder, in exchange for the twins (to Detroit), who would send Datsyuk to Buffalo. Not a likely trade, but I think would benefit all three groups. Detroit loses age, acquires two Cup-hungry Swedish stars with some juice left. Buffalo gets a veteran leader among their team of youths. Vancouver gets a shot at drafting Reinhart this year and launching a full-scale rebuild.

What has Trevor inherited ?

___ -Henrik - ____

___- Kesler - Kassian

Higgins- Matthias- Jensen

___- Richie - Santorelli

___-____

___-____

Bieksa - tanev

More like

----- HORVAT KESLER

SEDIN SEDIN JENSEN

HIGGINS RICHARDSON KASSIAN

BOOTH MATTHIUS BURROWS

SESTITO

HAMHIUS TANEV

GARRISON BIEKSA

STANTON CORRADO

WEAVER

LACK

MARKSTROM

I SEE ONE GLARING HOLE WHICH IS TOP LINE LEFT WINGER AND POTENTIALLY BETTER GOALTENDING. WE HAVE LOTS OF ROOM FOR THAT TOP LW. I ALSO INCLUDED EDLER AS A NO SHOW VIA TRADE. IF BOOTH IS BOUGHT OUT THEN SIGN SANTORELLI INSTEAD FOR CHEAPER TO FIND CAP SPACE FOR THE NEEDED PIECES.

There is a similarity to Gillis being hired by the owners in that Gillis was a player agent, and Linden a player rep or was he president. Anyway why do they want these types? Is it that they will get along better with the high priced players? Now Toronto has Shanahan so go figure. time will tell I guess

More like

----- HORVAT KESLER

SEDIN SEDIN JENSEN

HIGGINS RICHARDSON KASSIAN

BOOTH MATTHIUS BURROWS

SESTITO

HAMHIUS TANEV

GARRISON BIEKSA

STANTON CORRADO

WEAVER

LACK

MARKSTROM

I SEE ONE GLARING HOLE WHICH IS TOP LINE LEFT WINGER AND POTENTIALLY BETTER GOALTENDING. WE HAVE LOTS OF ROOM FOR THAT TOP LW. I ALSO INCLUDED EDLER AS A NO SHOW VIA TRADE. IF BOOTH IS BOUGHT OUT THEN SIGN SANTORELLI INSTEAD FOR CHEAPER TO FIND CAP SPACE FOR THE NEEDED PIECES.

Shink

Archived