The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanev's next contract

VIC_CITY

I've seen a lot of people on CDC suggesting that Tanev will get something in the $3.5M - $4.0M range but when was the last time an RFA Dman with a career high 17 points got anything close to that? I like Tanev as much as the next guy, he plays a really solid defensive game and improves every year.

But let's not get carried away here!

It doesn't matter what the other Dmen on the team are making. Anything more than $2.5M is too much, too soon.

True but we'd be stupid to let Tanev go.

The kid is a stud. He's going to be a big part of our future. He's getting better and better every year and is probably one of the only bright spots on our team in these dark times.

We could try to sign him to a cheap bridge contract but the risk in doing that is if he becomes really good in the next two seasons he will want a big contract (Montreal did this with Subban).

Honestly, with the cap going up and the Canucks not looking like contenders any time soon I say we do anything we can to keep Tanev.

When Luke Schenn was worth it, he got 3.5M. I say some where between 3-3.5 is worth it, but anymore is an overpayment.

Agree. Tanev is a great defensive dman but that's all he is (no offense in any way). He doesn't really have an offensive game and it's the difference between getting $4+ mill and below that, in this case, he will get below that. Already have tons of money invested in dmen and I see Tanev getting between $2.75-$3.5 mill for 4-5 years.

The guy is probably our second best defensemen this year. Hammer wasn't much if at all ahead of him for 1st either. The guy is probably worth 4 mil but because he is so young, an RFA and still has a little bit to prove, especially offensively. So I see him getting 3ish mil on a bridge contract.

I maybe bias here (since he's pretty much my fav player) but I think Tanev is worth that kind of money. Not only did he have a career year but he also is our most defensive defense men. He's also young and we need to get younger and to have this guy at 24 already playing this well, could you imagine how good he will be when he hits his prime? He also plays with a maturity that surpass his age. He is very cool, collected on the ice and barely makes mistakes. My only issue with him is that he is small for a hockey player and gets rocked quite often by opposing teams goons. Though usually the guy bounces back and go and does his thing. He has had a few injuries this year but I accredit that more to torts style then Tanev's abilities.

Losing Tanev would be a big mistake. Give the kid what he deserves, get younger and then when Tanev and the other guys hit their prime... hello cup!

Tanev, at 185 lbs, is not suited for the key defensive stopper role against top match ups people suggest. Yeah he is a great position player, has close out speed and gets to pucks first, makes a good first pass and blocks shots. At his size, It also makes him a target against big forward crews, and injury prone.And can he push a big forward off the puck if he does not get to it first? He finished the last two years injured.

Tanev should be paired with Edler in an offensive role. Sheltered from shift in shift out punishment from fore checkers at his size. He can use his close out speed and positioning to cover for Edler who can be more aggressive. And his passing will help this role.

I offer a two year bridge deal at $2.2 mill to see if he can make this transition. I believe he's a legit 30 point D man who helps the team in such a role. Or put on 15 lbs of muscle so I can be confident with him in a defensive one.

Tanev, at 185 lbs, is not suited for the key defensive stopper role against top match ups people suggest. Yeah he is a great position player, has close out speed and gets to pucks first, makes a good first pass and blocks shots. At his size, It also makes him a target against big forward crews, and injury prone.And can he push a big forward off the puck if he does not get to it first? He finished the last two years injured.

Tanev should be paired with Edler in an offensive role. Sheltered from shift in shift out punishment from fore checkers at his size. He can use his close out speed and positioning to cover for Edler who can be more aggressive. And his passing will help this role.

I offer a two year bridge deal at $2.2 mill to see if he can make this transition. I believe he's a legit 30 point D man who helps the team in such a role. Or put on 15 lbs of muscle so I can be confident with him in a defensive one.

Unfortunately, while Edler-Tanev seems like a good idea in theory and tends to look good on paper, the on-ice results from the last two seasons are as follows:

200:28 EVTOI (5v5), 2 goals for, 10 goals against

For some reason, that pairing gets scored on an awful lot. And they don't tend to produce much offense either.

I don't think Tanev's going to be the guy to get Edler back on track.

They've even been played together in sheltered minutes and with advantageous zone starts. It just hasn't worked.

Generally speaking, the past results have shown that putting Tanev with Edler makes both players perform much worse.

For two straight seasons, they've basically been each other's kryptonite.

EDIT: to put those numbers in perspective, based on their past performance (2012-14), if Edler and Tanev were paired together for all of 2013-14, they would have been co-leaders of the "minus derby" at -45 each (even worse than Edler's -39). Based strictly on last season's sample, they'd both be projected at -67 for a whole season.

Tanev is gonna crack 30 points next season. Lock him up close to 4, and reap the rewards for years.

IMO 30 points and stud D is his absolute ceiling, which would be great. But as of yet he hasn't come close to 30 points so I wouldn't feel comfortable going long term at $4.0M per right now. You don't just throw money at your RFAs because of potential. He needs to take another step in his development before he earns that long term big money deal.

Tanev is eligible for UFA status in 2 years, so I'd say 1 year at $2.5M and then reassess again next year. There's just no reason to take that risk right now and go long term at bigger dollars. He's not going to explode and score 35 points next year, he just isn't that player right now. In fact, I'd say it's more likely that Tanev has an identical year to last year than it is him scoring 30 points this year.

Archived