The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keith Jones questions Canucks organization "character"

Popinjay

Living in the states (Boston of all places) I get the pleasure of watching NHL playoffs on NBC. For the most part I do not mind the coverage, with Doc Emrick and Brian Engblom doing most announcing for nationally televised games. Pierre McGuire as the "inside the glass" and in-game interview guy is annoying but tolerable. The worst part BY FAR is the studio analysis with Liam McHugh (he's OK), Mike Milbury and Keith Jones (and JR sometimes).

Milbury and Jones are completely insufferable. Milbury is a Boston homer and doesn't even try to hide it, while Jones is just as bad and if you don't play a tough rock 'em sock'em style game, these guys will basically dismiss you as **ssies. I don't wan't to turn this into whiny post on these two clowns, but GD they annoy me so much.

Anyways to the point of the title. As usual, given any chance to kick the nucks while they're down, Jones said yesterday that he questions the character of the Canucks organization after firing torts. WTF, are you serious guy? Coaches get fired ALL THE TIME after one year of failure. Even their beloved Bruins fired Dave Lewis after one year of failure in 2007 to hire Claude Julien. Did he question the bruins character then? It's completely normal for an organization to move in a new direction, with completely new management staff that probably wants to instill their own direction and style and people. This is even more true when the team is a playoff team (which I believe the Canucks are) which fails to make the playoffs. It's a performance based business and you're not getting it done, especially with the money that these professionals make, then it's time for a change. Sure, you could argue that they could have given Torts some more time and perhaps another year, but in no way was the move not classy or a reason to call in the character of the organization.

that is all

/end rant

Actually,it directly calls out the character of Tortorella and indirectly calls out Gillis for hiring him.

Both are gone and it is a fresh start.

Trevor made a bolder move in three weeks than I saw Gillis make in three years.

These clowns are from the dark ages...they h'yuck at their own jokes and sit around talking like they know stuff. Belligerence disguised as commentary. #throwsshoe

I call Mike the Milsbury Dough Boy because he's a little flaky. All those guys are like a bunch of groggies who get together to outtalk each other.

milbury-headshotstandard-1-1-1-1.jpg

Quite honestly, to me it just shows Jones' laziness by simply espousing the popular view of how this organization has been perceived over the last 3 years, particularly in that part of the world.

I'm sure his comments are based on the premise that Torts is a tough love coach, and that this soft Canucks team couldn't even handle him for one season...ergo they're still a bunch of pansies.

Why look at the actual facts of what happened to this teams' best players this season under Torts when you can just score easy points by poking the dying Canucks carcass.

Living in the states (Boston of all places) I get the pleasure of watching NHL playoffs on NBC. For the most part I do not mind the coverage, with Doc Emrick and Brian Engblom doing most announcing for nationally televised games. Pierre McGuire as the "inside the glass" and in-game interview guy is annoying but tolerable. The worst part BY FAR is the studio analysis with Liam McHugh (he's OK), Mike Milbury and Keith Jones (and JR sometimes).

Milbury and Jones are completely insufferable. Milbury is a Boston homer and doesn't even try to hide it, while Jones is just as bad and if you don't play a tough rock 'em sock'em style game, these guys will basically dismiss you as **ssies. I don't wan't to turn this into whiny post on these two clowns, but GD they annoy me so much.

Anyways to the point of the title. As usual, given any chance to kick the nucks while they're down, Jones said yesterday that he questions the character of the Canucks organization after firing torts. WTF, are you serious guy? Coaches get fired ALL THE TIME after one year of failure. Even their beloved Bruins fired Dave Lewis after one year of failure in 2007 to hire Claude Julien. Did he question the bruins character then? It's completely normal for an organization to move in a new direction, with completely new management staff that probably wants to instill their own direction and style and people. This is even more true when the team is a playoff team (which I believe the Canucks are) which fails to make the playoffs. It's a performance based business and you're not getting it done, especially with the money that these professionals make, then it's time for a change. Sure, you could argue that they could have given Torts some more time and perhaps another year, but in no way was the move not classy or a reason to call in the character of the organization.

that is all

/end rant

Keith Jones is a meat head and Doc Emrick is massively over rated. If I had a nickel for every time he uses the word Driiiiiiiiiiiiive to describe a slap shot, wrist shot, deflection, tip or pass I'd be a millionaire. I'd listen to Bob Cole over Emrick any day.

Agree with the above, however what I find really, really good about the NBC broadcasts is: They actually call the play by play.

I am so sick of Jim Hughson ceding to that dim-witted Simpson who blabbers on and on while the play is on. Just cut him off Jim! Quit playing nice guy and call the play.

Shorthouse is starting to prefer chatting with the other John while the play is on too; just call the play.

And this crap about "lets just let the sound of the game, arena, fans carry the play by play"; cut it out; call the play.

When the NBC feed had to replace John & John about a month ago, here was this professional play-by-play announcer calling the play.

It was so well done, it reminded me of Jim Robson and you could envision the game without looking at the TV.

Another thing this provides is the names of all the players; some of us are not completely familiar with all the players in the NHL and it is great to learn their names while they are performing on the ice.

Actually,it directly calls out the character of Tortorella and indirectly calls out Gillis for hiring him.

Trading Schneider was much bolder move than firing a coach that most people were calling for his head.

Does anyone happen to know exactly what Jones said?

I do have a beef with the way Torts was fired....it's very bush league to have it announced on TV before it actually occurs.

I also have my doubts about this being a hockey decision. Linden could have allowed the new GM to make the call, there was plenty of time to make a coaching change. This was all about revenue.

My opinion is Torts was another sacrificial lamb offered up to season ticket holders, a pleading gesture for continued support. The letter sent out to the season ticket holders reinforces that idea.

I hope this works out for Linden because he no longer has anyone else to fire. If I was a season ticket holder I would remain skeptical until I saw a real change in the on ice play.

that is all

/end rant

Not withstanding the ignorance that is the media some of the time (e.g., questions that Dan Boyle, Hal Gill, and Patrick Kane were asked by their local media) I would bet that the negative overtones of the media is a consequence of the arrogance and disdain Mike Gillis displayed during his time here.

I'm sure in time, Linden will rehab the Canucks' image in general. Then perhaps we won't have to hear comments that can be perceived as being moronic about the Canucks from the local, regional and national media.

Stop taking this stuff so seriously. They're on tv and it is no surprise that they play favourites, happens all the time. Just brush it off and move on. This is literally a non-issue.

I do have a beef with the way Torts was fired....it's very bush league to have it announced on TV before it actually occurs.

I also have my doubts about this being a hockey decision. Linden could have allowed the new GM to make the call, there was plenty of time to make a coaching change. This was all about revenue.

My opinion is Torts was another sacrificial lamb offered up to season ticket holders, a pleading gesture for continued support. The letter sent out to the season ticket holders reinforces that idea.

I hope this works out for Linden because he no longer has anyone else to fire. If I was a season ticket holder I would remain skeptical until I saw a real change in the on ice play.

Agree that the way the news leaked out of Torts' firing was bush league...but disagree that Torts was a sacrificial lamb to appease the season ticket holders.

Sorry to state the obvious, but pro sports is about winning and if you're not winning you better be giving the fan base the hope and confidence that you're building towards something. The team failed on all fronts in 2013-2014, and the failure was a manifestation of bad decision-making since 2011. One of those bad decisions was the hiring of Torts (as evidenced by team's collective and individual records this season). So Torts and Sully being canned was pretty much an inevitability.

The three weeks that it took Linden to fire Torts and Sully is reasonable because takes in a senior management role that much time to process info to make a decision. Keeping Torts around for the new GM to make a call would have been unfair to the new GM and Torts, so I applaud Linden for assuming the responsibility as President of Hockey Ops and giving the new GM a clean sheet to work with.

Actually, that's not what it does at all.

Trading Schneider was much bolder move than firing a coach that most people were calling for his head.

Trading Schneider at that point was far too late. The fact that he made the trade doesn't make a bold trade. Given the circumstances, he had zero choice.

You try and avoid putting yourself in that situation in the first place and they didn't.

Please explain to me the difference in your mind between a season ticket holder and a Canucks fan. Season ticket holders should wait and see the team play before deciding what to do with the upcoming season tickets? To me, everyone here is in the same boat, waiting for changes to take place and have effect.

And I think Linden has tons of people to fire if it comes to that. This move probably isn't going to be one standing in the way of him getting stuff 'worked out'... jeez!

And I do believe Tortorella and Sullivan were informed of their dismissal before the announcement came out and Linden did the press conference...

Archived