The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

21 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm glad we didn't give up on a 22 year old Todd Bertuzzi....

Me too, but is Jake like Bertuzzi? I believe Bert is much tougher, but Jake is faster.

Afetr 4 years, I'm still hopeful for Jake. Maybe this is the year? He's had a good start to the preseason by the looks of it, so hope he continues that. Sounds promising. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Me too, but is Jake like Bertuzzi? I believe Bert is much tougher, but Jake is faster.

Afetr 4 years, I'm still hopeful for Jake. Maybe this is the year? He's had a good start to the preseason by the looks of it, so hope he continues that. Sounds promising. 

Bertuzzi wasn't like Bertuzzi until he was.   Jake is fast but I'm mostly talking about how he (already) can carry the puck on his stick with one hand as he drives the net.  I think he can be something really special if he keeps applying himself and recognizes his own potential when he does.

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Bertuzzi wasn't like Bertuzzi until he was.   Jake is fast but I'm mostly talking about how he (already) can carry the puck on his stick with one hand as he drives the net.  I think he can be something really special if he keeps applying himself and recognizes his own potential when he does.

I agree that Jake has great speed, can hit like a truck and has a nice shot. I'm still hoping he evolves and improves his playmaking. I didn't get to see any of last night's game in CGY, but it sounds like Jake had a pretty good game. The goals aside (Loui scored too), maybe this will give him some confidence. Going into CGY's barn withy teh Canucks prospects, scoring two including the OT winner, against CGY's starting lineup (or close to it) This is realy promising, but it's going to take some convincing over the season for me. Was Jake that good or was Talbot that bad? Maybe a bit of both?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

There are no extra points awarded for brilliance...it's win or lose.

And they (Calgary) iced a team of names I knew at home...the Canucks were outmatched but still managed to steal a win.

If the Canucks were garbage what does that make Calgary?  Let's give credit where it's due?

We didn't have as many shots but...

Faceoffs:  50% 

Hits:  Calgary 24 Canucks 22

Blocks:  Calgary 9 Canucks 21!

Giveaways:  Calgary 21 Canucks 9!

Hmmm.....

You’re right Deb your stats prove that canucks played amazing last night. What a game by our players, flames we’re lucky to carve out an OT point out of that pummeling we laid on them...lol

Flames ran into a hot goalie who kept the game close long enough for canucks to get 3 by Talbot on 9 shots. 

That’s the thing about this sport, one goalie can win singlehandedly win a game regardless how the rest of the team plays. How many times did we see luongo we us games we had no business being in. anyone who watched the sports shouldn’t have to had that explained to them. 

Hey but don’t take my word, How about....Virtanen’s

"He was just standing on his head all game. He kept us in it," Virtanen said of Bachman. "You never want to leave your goalie hung out to try, but we kinda did. But I’ve played with (Bachman) before in Utica (AHL) and played against him. You know what you’re going to get from him. He’s a small goalie, but he works his (butt) off."

I’m sorry people get offended by the idea that canucks didn’t put forth a very good effort last night in Calgary but it’s what happened. The fact that people are upset about hearing that is really quite sad, is this really the maturity level some this fan base has dropped to?

:sadno:

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You’re right Deb your stats prove that canucks played amazing last night. What a game by our players, flames we’re lucky to carve out an OT point out of that pummeling we laid on them...lol

Flames ran into a hot goalie who kept the game close long enough for canucks to get 3 by Talbot on 9 shots. 

That’s the thing about this sport, one goalie can win singlehandedly win a game regardless how the rest of the team plays. How many times did we see luongo we us games we had no business being in. anyone who watched the sports shouldn’t have to had that explained to them. 

Hey but don’t take my word, How about....Virtanen’s

"He was just standing on his head all game. He kept us in it," Virtanen said of Bachman. "You never want to leave your goalie hung out to try, but we kinda did. But I’ve played with (Bachman) before in Utica (AHL) and played against him. You know what you’re going to get from him. He’s a small goalie, but he works his (butt) off."

I’m sorry people get offended by the idea that canucks didn’t put forth a very good effort last night in Calgary but it’s what happened. The fact that people are upset about hearing that is really quite sad, is this really the maturity level some this fan base has dropped to?

:sadno:

It's your view that Jake's OT goal was not an exceptional showcase of his valuable and unique skill-set that is troubling.  Again, list the players in the league who could score that goal.  From the intimidation factor that caused the turnover, to the incredible speed, to the look off, to the dangle, to the patience, to the shot.  Many players could do some parts, but it's rare to find a player who can do all those things like Jake put on display.  

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

It doesn't matter how well Jake plays.  Some will continue to bash him no matter what he does.

Not true I think if he scored 30 goals everyone would shut up. Until then tubby is going to have to prove some people wrong, it comes with being a top 10 pick in this market.  

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Not true I think if he scored 30 goals everyone would shut up. Until then tubby is going to have to prove some people wrong, it comes with being a top 10 pick in this market.  

I never thought he would score 30 goals.  I always thought he would be a 20 to 25 goalscorer.  I will be happy when he gets there.

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's your view that Jake's OT goal was not an exceptional showcase of his valuable and unique skill-set that is troubling.  Again, list the players in the league who could score that goal.  From the intimidation factor that caused the turnover, to the incredible speed, to the look off, to the dangle, to the patience, to the shot.  Many players could do some parts, but it's rare to find a player who can do all those things like Jake put on display.  

Alf when did I say he goal wasn’t good? Seriously,  I never mentioned anything about his goals. His OT goal was a great effort and he showed great patiences with the puck

I said his overall game (like the rest of the teams) was poor.  Even jake would be the first to admit that he could have played much better. 

11 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I never thought he would score 30 goals.  I always thought he would be a 20 to 25 goalscorer.  I will be happy when he gets there.

He scored 45 goals as a 17 year old in the WHL most of which was at even strength, most thought be would reach that 30 mark when drafted as his shot power was elite for that age. I would be happy with 20-25 goals too, as long as he brings the boom at least once a game. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Really impressive from Jake to take the team on his back like that. He said in that interview he wanted to score 20 & maybe he's finally getting it. 

After seeing Goldy play with Miller & Horvat maybe that's a spot Jake could fit in, but he's gotta really want it. 

I realize that you are displaying Marchand crying and that's beautiful.......but it may be better to not even think of him at all.  What would it take for you to take him down?!!  ::D

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He scored 45 goals as a 17 year old in the WHL most of which was at even strength, most thought be would reach that 30 mark when drafted as his shot power was elite for that age. I would be happy with 20-25 goals too, as long as he brings the boom at least once a game. 

I wouldn't be happy with that.  He's young and capable of much greater things.  He could be a 30-35 goal scorer if he drives the net harder, shoots more and gets his arse in the goalies face before knocking in those rebounds.  My hope is that the lightbulb moment happens and his production jumps fast.  Will likely take the right linemates and coaching that lets him have fun with it.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

......in the first preseason game.  Had to end that sentence for you ::D.  I've been rooting for Jake since he was drafted and still do.  But let's see this in the regular season and better yet playoffs before describing his Gretzky-like prowess!  

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Bert had a grumpy nasty edge to him.  A swagger that said I'll do what I want out here regardless of what you tiny and petty people think.  That translated to a lot of goals.  Jake needs a little bit of that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree that Jake has great speed, can hit like a truck and has a nice shot. I'm still hoping he evolves and improves his playmaking. I didn't get to see any of last night's game in CGY, but it sounds like Jake had a pretty good game. The goals aside (Loui scored too), maybe this will give him some confidence. Going into CGY's barn withy teh Canucks prospects, scoring two including the OT winner, against CGY's starting lineup (or close to it) This is realy promising, but it's going to take some convincing over the season for me. Was Jake that good or was Talbot that bad? Maybe a bit of both?

Talbot was bad.  Jake put himself in a good position on those goals but a good NHL goalie is having none of that.  But it's all good if it gets Jake rolling.

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I was at the game last night, I don’t know I’d say Jake took the team on his back, it’s nice to see him score in his old building but outside of the two shifts when he scored he didn’t do much. I was hoping for a more physical energetic Jake but he didn’t really have that jump.  Canucks as a hole were down right awful last night (it was somewhat expected considering the roster we had iced).  None of the rookies were really standing out (could be nerves) but the effort also wasn’t there either.  Even Baertschi looked extremely slow and unengaged.  He was cheating offensively constantly, leaving the zone too early, getting caught and then slowly getting back into position.  

We only had 1:30 of possession time heading into the 3rd and were getting outshot 30-7.  Rittich switched halfway through the game and only faced 4 shots.  Had flames not put in the sieve Talbot mid second, who let in that floater from Eliot, I don’t know if we ever get the moment to swing out way. If anyone deserve credit for last nights game its Bachman who while looked really shaky at the start, held the Canucks in the game.  Biega was the only other player that looked like he was excited hockey was back. 

For a game where Canucks squeaked out a win it was an extremely poor outing. I’ll chalk it up to shaking off the rust but hope to see more for all these guys (including jake) moving forward. 

I get what you are saying, You were at the game and giving "your opinion" and was not taking away from Jakes good goal and were just reporting a poor effort by the Canucks as a team effort

Even Jake said they hung the goalie out to dry and that Bachman stood on his head.(I read that)

I am not sure of what to make of the team effort you describe, when we are to have a deep line up and a spot should be hard to get on this team this year

Not sure how you can chalk lack of hustle and effort up to rust, when the other team has not played anymore games than the Canucks?

I highlighted you acknowledging his goals and my concerns how you saw the game, which I never saw myself to either agree or critique your take on it

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who was at that game, what they thought of the team effort

Back to Jake though

I am hoping with the bigger guys on the team now, that they may prod and make Jake more of a man and hit like he did in Junior (not just because he was bigger)

We saw Jake getting fighting lessons last year from Guddy, presumably to defend against guys that take offense to being hit by him

We have some guys now who can teach and also have his back, and I think this could give him the confidence to be much more effective, if he is interested in being a rough player who will also go to the net and fight for space as well