The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 9/18/2019 at 11:15 AM, aGENT said:

Problem with Goldy as 13th is that when Roussel gets healthy, you're still likely waiving him and he's far more likely to be claimed then, than during the preseason melee where everyone is waiving guys. IMO, he either earns a top 9 spot or he's on waivers.

Locked? No. But I think he's written pretty firmly in pencil. One of those really dark, soft graphite ones that's hard to erase ::D

I would say the chances of the canucks not having other players get hurt in the first 2 months of the season before roussel is ready is virtually nil.

by the time he's ready, there will be other players hurt, making the roster issue moot. 

On 9/20/2019 at 12:32 PM, dpn1 said:

You all know I was being sarcastic earlier, Right?  It was making fun of those who seem to hammer Jake way too much. ::D  All in fun.

Could've fooled me! lol. 

I haven't been keeping up with Canuck news this week, been super busy at work. How is Jake doing? Did he play tonight? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Jake played last night and got an assist and played well from what I saw.

I saw him steal the puck from a guy at our Blueline or neutral zone from behind the guy. That was kinda fun to see lol. This isn't a full Nhl club we faced tho. Last two games should be better representations. Hopefully Ottawa's NHL team isn't like an AHL squad lol

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I saw him steal the puck from a guy at our Blueline or neutral zone from behind the guy. That was kinda fun to see lol. This isn't a full Nhl club we faced tho. Last two games should be better representations. Hopefully Ottawa's NHL team isn't like an AHL squad lol

Sens are in town for 2 games.  It had me thinking some kind of trade with them.  Maybe a Loui deal or something something else that ships out some unwanted Salary.  Wishful thinking on my part probably. 

Edited by dpn1

16 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Sens are in town for 2 games.  It had me thinking some kind of trade with them.  Maybe a Loui deal or something something else that ships out some unwanted Salary.  Wishful thinking on my part probably. 

At this point just to make it go away i would consider Goldobin plus Loui. Even include some salary retention on LE. Sad.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

It must be really hard for guys to play within their team’s defensive structure when the goalie plays as poorly as last night.  I think all our players struggled, because they had no confidence in their goalies. 

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, dpn1 said:

5 hours ago, Borvat said:

At this point just to make it go away i would consider Goldobin plus Loui. Even include some salary retention on LE. Sad.

Loui, $2m retained + Goldy for Boedker.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Loui, $2m retained + Goldy for Boedker.

I hate to say I think that would be reasonable for both sides.  Boedker makes actual $3M this year. 

Eriksson has $1M left this year and $4M each year over the 2 remaining. 

7 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I hate to say I think that would be reasonable for both sides.  Boedker makes actual $3M this year. 

Eriksson has $1M left this year and $4M each year over the 2 remaining. 

Yup the actual cash owed the next two years is basically what they owe Boedker for just this year (with the retention). Basically deferring payment. I'd be pretty surprised if Eriksson didn't retire after that (or before) but if not, here's a Goldobin for your trouble.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status/1176153903630389250?s=09

Virtanen's hanging on his last threads. Not sure he figures it out with us. He's too comfortable here. 

it would be interesting if his last game with us was in Abby. I think you might be right, he might be the kind of guy that needs to be traded away from whats familiar to finally get motivated to be consistent in his effort. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would be interesting if his last game with us was in Abby. I think you might be right, he might be the kind of guy that needs to be traded away from whats familiar to finally get motivated to be consistent in his effort. 

Just speculating, maybe he still hangs around his school pals, instead of athletes and needs to be removed from them to grow?

It's too bad if he does get traded and grows into what everyone hoped, and his opportunity to play at home is lost for him as well

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Just speculating, maybe he still hangs around his school pals, instead of athletes and needs to be removed from them to grow?

It's too bad if he does get traded and grows into what everyone hoped, and his opportunity to play at home is lost for him as well

had that same thought myself. There seems to be some on CDC that know more about him that could maybe answer that one. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

long time jake supporter. no longer after tonight's game. seeing Jake make the same mistakes over and over. too many giveaways on lazy, boneheaded plays. too much holding onto the puck when he has an open teammate. 

I dont think hes gonna get it. at least not in vancouver. maybe he is distracted playing in his home city. a trade might be best for both parties 

I agree with the idea he's become complacent. It's too bad b/c he's got incredible physical ability. 

Its not like he's new here, its been 5 years since he was drafted. But Josh Leivo came in as a free pickup last year & out-played him. 

This feels like Jake's biggest year. Brock, Petey, Hughes (& Demko too probably) have all surpassed him as younger or lower picks. Those guys commitment was never questioned. 

I do really want Jake to succeed, he's so unique, but how much longer does he have to prove himself here? 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 2