The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NHL'er said:

Is that the Big Ben? :huh: Does this mean Thatcher is thinking of leaving us for the Elite Ice Hockey League?? Oh no!!! :sadno::frantic:

Pretty sure that's Big Dem and hes in Van to stay for a long time not a good time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kushman said:

Pretty sure that's Big Dem and hes in Van to stay for a long time not a good time.

Was hoping he’d be here to stay for both a long time and a good time 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

As per that second tweet in particular, sounds like we shouldn't be surprised to see Demko in Vancouver for minimally a pretty good look, and even a shot at making the team out of camp.  Like players at all positions, they're coming in more ready than ever before, including goaltenders.  Thatcher may well not take as long as Cory did, the one downside being that he won't get as many games as he would in Utica, but in order to do so he'd have to step right in as starter straight from the AHL, which is rather uncommon for goalies. 

Still... it's not like he has NHL all-stars to beat out, and word is the Canucks have not been happy at all with Nilsson.  Might be yet another interesting story at camp, where we could even see Nilsson dispatched to Utica if outplayed in preseason.

• Cheers 2

In 2010/11, the Canucks went to the SCF with Luongo and Schneids in net, and Bieksa, Hamhuis, Salo, Edler and Ehrhoff on D.

This was a great defensive lineup, which is needed to go all the way. You need a hot goalie and great D to win a championship. 

Canucks could be almost there, as far as rebuilding the back end.

Juolevi

Hughes

Woo

Brisebois

Rathbone

Utunen

Tryamkin (who sounds like he may be coming back at the end of his KHL contract)

...and the goaltending will be great

Demko

DiPietro

Looking at that 2010/11 team though, there didn't seem to be very many skilled/elite players at forward, other than the Sedins and Kesler. Other players like Burrows, Hansen, Samuelsson, Torres, Lapierre, etc. were more middle 6 players who elevated their game and played with a lot of heart and grit. I think with the new core, players like Horvat, Pettersson, Dahlen, Boeser, Virtanen, the Canucks will be a better offensive team than the 2010/11 team.

If they can get a shutdown D core and great goaltending, I think the Canucks win their 1st Cup in the near future.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 1:32 PM, NUCKER67 said:

In 2010/11, the Canucks went to the SCF with Luongo and Schneids in net, and Bieksa, Hamhuis, Salo, Edler and Ehrhoff on D.  This was a great defensive lineup, which is needed to go all the way. You need a hot goalie and great D to win a championship.  Canucks could be almost there, as far as rebuilding the back end.

Juolevi

Hughes

Woo

Tryamkin (who sounds like he may be coming back at the end of his KHL contract)

Demko

DiPietro

Yeah the highlighted group sounds like a good foundation, hopefully they all pan out on the back-end (Olli as a 2nd pair guy would still be solid behind Hughes with a good RD partner).  Can't wait to see how the team might look like in a couple years if management doesn't rush and botch the roster with desperate deals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 1:20 PM, Phil_314 said:

Demko

DiPietro

I really hope you turn out to be right about great goal tending....... it wasn't that many years ago that we thought that Markstrom was going to be the next Schneider or Luongo. I'll temper my expectations till both Demko and DiPietro have solid NHL seasons behind them

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I really hope you turn out to be right about great goal tending....... it wasn't that many years ago that we thought that Markstrom was going to be the next Schneider or Luongo. I'll temper my expectations till both Demko and DiPietro have solid NHL seasons behind them

man, speak for yourself ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, tas said:

man, speak for yourself ...

i thought I just did; as did you. I am hoping for great things from both of them but neither have proven themselves at the NHL level yet. As for Markstrom; if he can clean up his issues with letting a soft first goal in; which was the case many times last year, he might still become a very good NHL goalie.

• Wat 1

17 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Once Demko has solid NHL seasons under him, then that would no longer be expecting him to do well, because he’s already done well, right?  

We base our expectations upon what we predict a player can do, when developed to his fullest potential.  Again, once a player has already several solid seasons behind him (as you say) the only expectation is that his play will continue.  

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

i thought I just did; as did you. I am hoping for great things from both of them but neither have proven themselves at the NHL level yet. As for Markstrom; if he can clean up his issues with letting a soft first goal in; which was the case many times last year, he might still become a very good NHL goalie.

Markstrom and Demko have very similar pasts. Both early 2nd round picks ( both projected as late 1st rounders by some ). With Markstrom, the Canucks seem to have tried to follow the successful Schneider plan ( after being rushed a bit by Florida ). Demko has not received 100% rave revues in Utica. He is touted as being weak to his glove side. If that is a fair criticism, it will be exploited in the NHL. Be patient !

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Once Demko has solid NHL seasons under him, then that would no longer be expecting him to do well, because he’s already done well, right?  

We base our expectations upon what we predict a player can do, when developed to his fullest potential.  Again, once a player has already several solid seasons behind him (as you say) the only expectation is that his play will continue.  

I quite agree with what you are saying Alf but I also realize that not every player that the Canucks draft, regardless if they went in the first round or in the anywhere after that, will become an NHL player with a long career. We all have high expectations for them, as we should, I even have hopes that Markstrom can have a dominant season and fully reach his potential but that remains to be seen. Certainly Thatcher is also looking very promising but has only played one game in the NHL so far. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I quite agree with what you are saying Alf but I also realize that not every player that the Canucks draft, regardless if they went in the first round or in the anywhere after that, will become an NHL player with a long career. We all have high expectations for them, as we should, I even have hopes that Markstrom can have a dominant season and fully reach his potential but that remains to be seen. Certainly Thatcher is also looking very promising but has only played one game in the NHL so far. 

I agree:)

• Thanks 1