The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

I think Markstrom and Bachman next year would be fine. Markstrom needs a shot at number one and I think he may be the type of guy that needs to play a lot to succeed. Time to cut ties with vets and get younger. Even if we lose more games. Plus one more year at the bottom of the league would be good for us, next year is looking like a very good draft! Plus with Bachman up he can try to prove he's an NHL backup and Demko gets to be number one down in Utica.

• Upvote 3

I hope that Demko has 2 good seasons as a starter for Utica before easing him in to the NHL very slowly. The only way he should be on the Canucks over the next 2-3 years is to either call him up for a day and let him have an NHL paycheck or if somehow all of our goalies get injured. I really want to bring him up slowly. Demko is a smart guy, he knows that staying in the minors for a while will only benefit him. 

This recent run has been great news. It looks like he's just about if not already proven himself as a starter for next season. Like I said, I want him to string together a couple of good seasons as a starter with consistency being the main focus. 

Overall, he might be one of the prospects I'm least worried about. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2017 at 7:30 AM, Gooseberries said:

I watched the first period last night. Obviously demko was amazing. But what shocked me and I seen it mentioned on cdc yet is his puck handling.  He handles the puck alot. And he's damn good at it. Not like smith/Brodour alot but miles better than Luongo/Schneider 

Good observation, I never really focused on this but since you posted this I realize how right you are.  Makes it so much easier for D to break out if the goalie can pass the puck well.  

8 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

question is. when Markstrom returns. do they ride the hot hand in Demko or does it go back to Bachman? 

and if they do switch and Bachman fails to get them in what does that do for the teams confidence. 

They have to ride Demko, no way they can't with the way he's playing and how tight the standings are.

18 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

question is. when Markstrom returns. do they ride the hot hand in Demko or does it go back to Bachman? 

and if they do switch and Bachman fails to get them in what does that do for the teams confidence. 

They have 4 sets of three games in a row to finish out the season.

At this point you gotta think Demko will get the first and third games while Bachman will get the 2nd game. He definitely gives them a better chance to win than Garteig right now.

56 minutes ago, stawns said:

They have to ride Demko, no way they can't with the way he's playing and how tight the standings are.

we both know they may though for political reasons. x_x I hope DeNiro is right.

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They have 4 sets of three games in a row to finish out the season.

At this point you gotta think Demko will get the first and third games while Bachman will get the 2nd game. He definitely gives them a better chance to win than Garteig right now.

I hope so.  could see we Markstrom sidelined for the remainder of the season though?  I have been crazier things.   is his injury day to day or week to week.

As a comparison as there are many similarities in their path's to the NHL and previous success in US College and the WJC

Cory Schnieder who we all loved first season in the AHL

36 gp

21 W (3 SO)

12 L2

2 T (yes they had ties back then!)

2.28 GAA

0.916 sv %

Thatcher Demko thus far

33 GP (2 SO)

16 W

11 L

1 SOL

2.57 GAA

0.909 sv%

If Thatcher pushes us into the playoffs his numbers will look very close to one hell of a goalie in his first year, and Thatcher had a tough patch in there mid year I believe.

I always look at save % and the quality of the team. Those matter most to me when evaluating goalies. GAA is more a team stat and even save % to a certain degree but clearly goalies have better control there.  However, if you're on a weaker team, other teams will get more and better looks leading to more goals.

Regardless, he seems to be having a solid start to his pro career. Let's hope they make the post season to get some more experience, then see him take the next step next year!

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I hope so.  could see we Markstrom sidelined for the remainder of the season though?  I have been crazier things.   is his injury day to day or week to week.

He's back skating but they're still testing him to make sure he's ready. We'll see him before too long I think.

But for Demko, he'll split games with Bachman once he's back. Bachman hasn't played as much so they'll ease him in but he did get back to playing a fair bit after Demko put up gaudy numbers while he was out injured earlier in the year. It may be more Demko by this point, but I still expect they'll use Bachman a fair bit if he plays well when he gets in and then look at moving to more starts for one come playoffs.