The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

21 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Ryan Biech‏Verified account @ryanbiech  1h1 hour ago

With another win today, in his last 10 starts - Thatcher Demko is 9-1-0 with a 1.51 GAA, 0.949 SV% and 2 S/O

Had a rough start to his pro career this season but at this stage I expect him to confirm that he's too good for the AHL by mid next season.

Despite being a tall goaltender, does anybody notice Thatch wears significantly smaller equipment than Markstrom? 

With his current setup he looks like a flashback to 1997.

But it's not just the gear, he simply plays his own hybrid style. He literally IS an oldschool goaltender. It's the San Diego thing again.

That's why I keep telling people to dismiss any Cory Schneider comparisons. Schneids was an ELITE technical goaltender who would literally refuse to make a movement that was not considered to be technically flawless. Demko is different - he stops the puck his own way and is extremely reactionary.

We DID have a goalie like that in our team's history, but his name was Roberto.

Watch when the puck goes behind the net on Thatch. He will commit a Canadian goalie's ultimate faux pas: turning around to face the net as the puck goes behind. 

Technically you're supposed to keep your back straight and just pivot your head/neck to look behind the net. This kid does not give a #$%@ about that kind of stuff. He knows what he has to do to stop the puck and is willing to do whatever it takes. He was compared to Rinne early in his career, and I agree with that comparison 100%. This is a battler that does not follow conventions but has extreme athletic ability and a serious hatred for letting pucks get behind him. 

All that said, he's still solid positionally and has a great looking butterfly, he just wasn't trained the same way Canadian goalies would have been.

Here, too much focus goes on the smaller details with goalie coaches (essentially nit picking), and not enough on the ultimate goal of not allowing any pucks past you at any time, no matter what.

Demko simply gets it.

Edited by nergish
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, nergish said:

Despite being a tall goaltender, does anybody notice Thatch wears significantly smaller equipment than Markstrom? 

With his current setup he looks like a flashback to 1997.

But it's not just the gear, he simply plays his own hybrid style. He literally IS an oldschool goaltender. It's the San Diego thing again.

That's why I keep telling people to dismiss any Cory Schneider comparisons. Schneids was an ELITE technical goaltender who would literally refuse to make a movement that was not considered to be technically flawless. Demko is different - he stops the puck his own way and is extremely reactionary.

We DID have a goalie like that in our team's history, but his name was Roberto.

Watch when the puck goes behind the net on Thatch. He will commit a Canadian goalie's ultimate faux pas: turning around to face the net as the puck goes behind. 

Technically you're supposed to keep your back straight and just pivot your head/neck to look behind the net. This kid does not give a #$%@ about that kind of stuff. He knows what he has to do to stop the puck and is willing to do whatever it takes. He was compared to Rinne early in his career, and I agree with that comparison 100%. This is a battler that does not follow conventions but has extreme athletic ability and a serious hatred for letting pucks get behind him. 

All that said, he's still solid positionally and has a great looking butterfly, he just wasn't trained the same way Canadian goalies would have been.

Here, too much focus goes on the smaller details with goalie coaches (essentially nit picking), and not enough on the ultimate goal of not allowing any pucks past you at any time, no matter what.

Demko simply gets it.

Yes, he does have Luongo in his athleticism, but I see more Marty Brodeur.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, he does have Luongo in his athleticism, but I see more Marty Brodeur.  

That thought has crossed my mind as well.

Power forwards get compared to Lindros, smart Dmen get compared to Lidstrom... when was the last time a goaltender drew legitimate comparisons to Marty?

I started playing goal in... 2000, I think? Marty Brodeur was already the benchmark at the point, and the entire time I was in minor hockey, he just led the way as the epitome of the goaltending position. He was such a treat to watch, every night. Amazing character too.

Like the Canadian goalie training I was mentioning, I was taught "no, you only do this move this way" or "only hold the post like this" or "don't be too aggressive" etc. etc.
And the whole time in my head I'm thinking... Marty doesn't care about this stuff and he's the best goalie on earth. Success at this position comes from an insatiable hunger to stop the puck, and being absolutely devastated by the thought of letting one past you.

It's not about executing movements (though, of course structure is your foundation, especially helping your averages over a long season), it's about stopping the puck. That's it.

Thatcher has that rare ability to just straight up lock it down for stretches. We've seen it from him now at every level.
The kid is legit.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Shestyorkin.

And that's no knock on Demko.  Shestyorkin is just ridiculous.

But he also has Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Shipchayov, Voynov, and Gusev on his team. 

3 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

But Dallas has Benn, Seguin, Spezza, and klingberg, without a good goalie they're nothing

Dallas could use Miller. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Dallas were to offer Miller a contract. Not sure if he would sign with them, since that would take him further away from his family in LA. 

Now that the topic has been brought up, I'm curious as to how Demko stacks up against other young goalies. It seems Shestyorkin is ahead of him along with Sorokin. Does anyone who knows more about other teams young goalies have a list? 

22 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Now that the topic has been brought up, I'm curious as to how Demko stacks up against other young goalies. It seems Shestyorkin is ahead of him along with Sorokin. Does anyone who knows more about other teams young goalies have a list? 

Pretty hard to compare numbers from the KHL and the AHL.

Lots of numbers in the NHL get inflated based on the teams they play for. Same thing could be happening with those two.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

How would you rate Ilya Samsonov and Ilya Sorokin as well?

I'd say Samsonov is about on par with Shestyorkin.

I don't really know enough about Sorokin other than his stats are ridiculously good.  A lot of scouts are almost just as high on him as they are the other 2 Russians though, and he was goalie of the year in the KHL last year, so I'd have to be inclined to say he's a solid prospect.

As far as mixing Demko in there, I'd have to put him behind all 3, but I'd say they're all in their own grouping of elite goalie prospects along with some other guys like Parsons and Jarry.

But like DeNiro said, pretty hard to compare across leagues when it comes to goalies.

Edited by Jägermeister

All 3 of the top Russian prospect goalies look great, but lots of other concerns come with them. Will they come to NA? (Islanders have been trying to bring over Sorokin.) Will they adapt to the North American game? Will they hold the threat of bolting back to the K if they don't get the contract they want? Will their year-to-year play be wildly inconsistent? (see: Varlamov, Bobrovsky)

Based on what I've seen/read/heard, I'd rate Samsonov the highest for pure skill. But because of the above, I'd probably rather have Demko than any of them. Guess we'll find out eventually.

• Upvote 1