The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

14 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Rarely does a Smyth winner not win the cup.  So you're guaranteeing us a cup in the next 15 yrs?

....I suppose if he won the Smyth every year, he would also win the cup at least half of those....whoooeee!!

....funny thing is one Price/Brodeur (sp.?) class goalie (i.e. league's best goalie) and 3 or 4 snipers ( out of Boeser, Goldy, Dahlen, Gaudette, Horvat, Baer, Granlund and Rodin) and we are cup material, add this years draft pick's and who knows...

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 20/04/2017 at 3:30 PM, -AJ- said:

Yeah, he definitely had some real good games where he carried the team near the end from what I hear. To be clear, I'm not trying to speak ill of Demko; rather, I'm just rationalizing why his numbers aren't as good as the other goaltenders we've had in the past. And the primary reason for that is that the final years of both Schneider and Markstrom are the ones that stick out most in my head, so I use them, even though it's comparing apples and oranges. So I then rationalize it by telling myself that it's only Demko's rookie year and it's only reasonable to have lower expectations for this year.

You're right in saying that looking at their rookie years and comparing them in context would be more valuable, but I was just looking for a quicker way to assess his season based on the knowledge that's in my head already :P. Based on how well he's been playing I would expect that his numbers will be up next year (depending on the team in front of him) and if he spends a third year in Utica, even better yet. I get the feeling that you think I'm trying to speak badly of Demko, so I'm trying to quash that impression. I'm definitely excited for what he'll do next year.

After watching him all of last year, Demko is very comparable to Schneiderman.  Not as technically sound, but much more athletic.  If you combined the styles of Luongo and Schneider, Demko would be close to that.

I usually one to downplay young players, but Demko is the real deal.  If he stays healthy and the Canucks continue working their way up, I don't see any way that Demko doesn't become a star.  What he did, with a sketchy Comets team, after Bachman got called up was nothing short of incredible.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

That video scared the s--- out of me. Our D looked invisible on multiple occasions. No wonder we choked going for the playoffs.

It was definitely concerning how much he was playing when Bachman went up. Goalies are more susceptible to injury when they're tired and he was playing 3 games in 3 nights in those weekend sets. Essentially it was 3 games in less than 48 hours for many of those with the Sunday game noon starts. 

He took a huge jump from the start of the season and he came out of last season smelling like roses. I hope he takes the net from Bachman full time next season and it will be good to have that experienced guy backing him up. Garteig just never found his groove in his 1st year of pro.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/28/tsp-vancouver-canucks-prospects/

#4 Prospect: Thatcher Demko

Goalie — shoots Left
Born Dec 8 1995 — San Diego, CA
Height 6’4 — Weight 195 lbs [193 cm / 88 kg]
Drafted by Vancouver Canucks in the 2nd round, #36 overall at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Demko signed with Vancouver last summer and had a solid, but not spectacular first pro season with Utica in the AHL. While a .907 save percentage does not look great, it is a solid number over a full season for a 21-year-old AHL rookie.

Style and Potential

Demko is already 6’4 and he has ideal size that NHL teams are looking for in goalie prospects. This size, combined with his ability to cut down angles gives shooters very little to look at. Demko skates well, meaning he recovers quickly and stays with shooters if they try to deke. He also has a strong push giving him very good lateral movement and his puck tracking ability is very solid. He understands where the play is going, anticipates well, and gets across the crease quickly for cross-ice passes and one-timers.

Demko plays a butterfly style and is extremely hard to beat down low due to his long and quick legs. He is so big that even when he does go down he can still take up a lot of the upper portion of the net. Demko has really improved his rebound control over his time with Boston College and Utica. He still has some more work to do though, as many young goalies do. He is very good at staying square to the puck, even when does given up rebounds. This usually puts Demko in good position to stop those second chance opportunities. He also has a quick glove hand.

Puck Handling

Demko handles the puck well, another aspect that many teams like in a modern goaltender. He helps his defencemen by being able to retrieve dump-ins and make smart outlets. On the powerplay he can catch the other team on a line change with a long pass to a forward.

Outlook

The Canucks goaltender of the future will likely play another season in the AHL with the Utica Comets. This is not a bad thing, as he needs playing time in order to continue to develop.  Demko is a year or two away from making an NHL impact, but should be worth the wait.

I see Thatchy D as our second rank prospect behind Boeser but that's just me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/28/tsp-vancouver-canucks-prospects/

I see Thatchy D as our second rank prospect behind Boeser but that's just me.

IMO, it goes Demko, Pettersson, Juolevi, Boeser.  Pettersson and Demko have the most potential to be impact players in the NHL, and Pettersson should probably be #1, but I haven't watched him play much.  

On 7/27/2017 at 11:25 AM, J.R. said:

@AlwaysACanuckFan frankly it's Markstrom who should be 'worried' about the Nilsson signing :lol:

(Not shooting the messenger FWIW)

On paper, it's a near-perfect signing.  Two very similar goalies, seeking to prove themselves to be a #1.  Of course, TMZ will seize all over this thing and ramp up the drama whenever one starts despite the other playing better the previous game.

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2017 at 2:28 PM, Hutton Wink said:

On paper, it's a near-perfect signing.  Two very similar goalies, seeking to prove themselves to be a #1.  Of course, TMZ will seize all over this thing and ramp up the drama whenever one starts despite the other playing better the previous game.

It is a little scary how similar of a path their stats look when you compare them side by side. Both 27. Both roughly the same size. Both Swedish. Both multiple seasons in the SEL. Both going back and forth between the AHL and NHL. Neither of them having played more than 43 games in any season and any of the leagues they are in. Yet both with the potential to be a #1 goalie.

Either we'll have a great goalie tandem or we'll be praying Demko shows up sooner than later. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

On August 8, 2017 at 6:38 PM, The Lock said:

It is a little scary how similar of a path their stats look when you compare them side by side. Both 27. Both roughly the same size. Both Swedish. Both multiple seasons in the SEL. Both going back and forth between the AHL and NHL. Neither of them having played more than 43 games in any season and any of the leagues they are in. Yet both with the potential to be a #1 goalie.

Either we'll have a great goalie tandem or we'll be praying Demko shows up sooner than later. lol

Or they both develop into #1 goalies, as does Demko, and the Canucks end up with three #1 goalies. And they trade them all away and start all over again lol.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Or they both develop into #1 goalies, as does Demko, and the Canucks end up with three #1 goalies. And they trade them all away and start all over again lol.

And then we get DiPietro and someone else as #1 goalies and do it again!

Sounds a little like Anaheim thinking about it. They've traded quite a few goalies away. lol

On 2017-08-13 at 7:47 PM, The Lock said:

And then we get DiPietro and someone else as #1 goalies and do it again!

Sounds a little like Anaheim thinking about it. They've traded quite a few goalies away. lol

Anaheim is a great example, but really they were flipping goalies until they found their John Gibson.

All signs indicate that Thatcher is ours.

Mostly likely scenario is Thatcher emerges and grabs the starting role in Vancouver. I genuinely see the kid as a star both on and off the ice.

Second most likely is that Markstrom locks it down for a few more seasons. He has played admirably through these tough years, I believe we have yet to see him at his best. Maybe Thatcher is soft-launched as his backup.

It would be like holding a mirror up to Demko... playing alongside another guy who was highly regarded as a top prospect with the world in the palm of his hand, who took YEARS to figure it out at the pro level. 

Third most likely is that DiPietro continues to win at the junior level, is a star at the WJC, and we start planning for his arrival in 3-4 years. He has the ability to be the best of the bunch himself, but he's a long ways from that. I will be keeping tabs on this guy because he's a battler and a winner, and most importantly... CANADIAN :P

Fourth most likely is that somehow Nilsson taps into something very special during his tenure in Van and forces us to move Marky at the end of this season, with Thatcher graduating to backup. Again, if you watch tape on Anders, he is a machine in net. Structurally he is the most advanced of any of these guys, I just don't know if he has the "winner's mentality" yet.

A whole hell of a lot would have to go wrong for us not to have sound goaltending for the rest of this decade at the very least.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...