The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Re-signing)PK Subban re-ups in montreal for 8 years

Overpaid him but they had to do what they had to do to keep him.

$9 mill is a clear overpayment when Weber who is a lot better is getting paid $7.8 mill. I'm pretty sure this makes PK the highest paid dman in the world. He is the most electric dman but a bit overpriced. Good deal though in general.

You can't compare a contract being signed prior to the lockout to one that was signed after in the new CBA. It doesn't work like that. Subbans contract was definitely not an overpayment, as this will be the norm under the new CBA. Sure, Montreal could've gotten less if they didn't play cat and mouse with Subban, but it's still not an overpayment. Lots of people figured it would be around this.

Wow. I bet they could have had him for 8 before arbitration.

That's why I said, it was in the Habs best interest to avoid arbitration. All it does is create ill will on each side.

I'd bet they'd offered at least $7.5M if not $8M already prior to getting that far. $9M is a small surprise, but not that much.

9 mil per, huge deal.pk is worth it tho. I just don't get why they went thru the arbitration process if hey were gonna hand out this contract anyways . Why not just sign it right away!? Pk was only asking for 8.5 thru arbritration.

You can't compare a contract being signed prior to the lockout to one that was signed after in the new CBA. It doesn't work like that. Subbans contract was definitely not an overpayment, as this will be the norm under the new CBA. Sure, Montreal could've gotten less if they didn't play cat and mouse with Subban, but it's still not an overpayment. Lots of people figured it would be around this.

This! Some people just don't get it that you can't compare contracts signed under different cbas. Cap is rising and pk is top 5 d man in the league. He's worth it for sure

It's not a good signing for those saying it is.

They gave him more than what he was asking for. I'm not an expert on contract negotiation, but I do know that you try to sign a player for less than what they're asking.

It's good that they got him re-signed for sure, but 9 mil is about the max that he's worth. Bergevin kind of fumbled this one a bit.

They gave him more than what he was asking for. I'm not an expert on contract negotiation, but I do know that you try to sign a player for less than what they're asking.

It's good that they got him re-signed for sure, but 9 mil is about the max that he's worth. Bergevin kind of fumbled this one a bit.

Source for what his asking price was?

By no means is it a "good signing" given by what they could've gotten if they didn't screw around with the bridge, and then this whole arbitration mess, but it's still not an overpayment as some are saying. It's just they could've gotten a better deal if they didn't constantly lowball Subban.

Holy crap...

9 mill..? P.K Subban is a terrific player but who in their right minds would EVER give more then the asking price..? I don't understand Bergevin. At the beginning he offered 5.25 mill while P.K asked for 8.5 mill. They couldn't agree with each other and went to arbitration. Not even 24 hours later, Bergevin not only signs P.K for 8 years long term... he gives him MORE MONEY than P.K ever asked in the first place..

6.6 mill to 7.8 mill range would have been perfect for Subban. Subban is a great player don't get me wrong, but Shea Weber is an all-around solid and better defenseman than P.K and so I understand the fact that Shea asked for 7.8 mill.. But P.K..?? Now he's the most richest defenseman in the league right now. Bergevin.. you have dun goofed again...

But good signing by the Canadiens as he's definitely a franchise player. But that $$$$$$ cash though..

I don't mind the deal, but it's a bit high.

Keith + Hjalmarsson = $9.6 million compared to Subban at $9 million.

Keith doesn't count when comparing contracts. Chicago is so lucky to have Keith at almost half of what he should be paid.

I don't mind the deal, but it's a bit high.

Keith + Hjalmarsson = $9.6 million compared to Subban at $9 million.

Come on. You can't look at Keith's contract and compare with other skaters. Even he knows he should be earning a helluva lot more money than he is right now. I mean... he only earns half of what Toews and Kane get.

Archived