The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we sign Big Bert?

jdavies44

What a great idea; we could also re-acquire Matt Cooke and maybe even bring Sean Avery out of retirement. Hire Ulf Samuellsson as an assistant coach for good measure. Then we could REALLY "embrace the hate"...

I wonder what Dave "The Hammer" Schultz is doing these days??

Sorry if this is duplicated, I searched and couldn't find it.

Should we sign Todd? He is an unrestricted free agent and could provide another big body in front of the net (albeit old body). Wouldn't have to be long, just a a year or two. I think if we waited a bit, we could get him at a good price.

Thoughts?

No

I do see the negatives of signing Bertuzzi, but there are positives as well.

Con

- will possibly want more than minimum to sign. He would also be a 35+ contract.

- he's an older guy and his best hockey is behind him.

- distraction factor re: Moore.

Pro (or at least "not con")

- if Bertuzzi can be signed for 1 year at something reasonable then maybe I'd be willing to give him a try. The team does have almost $1.5 million in available cap space. Yes, that money could be directed to a different player acquired through trade or free agency, however, team management has yet to use this money so I am willing to speculate on their behalf as to how it should be spent.

- as he is an older guy with his best hockey behind him, he'd likely spend most of his time in the bottom-6. He'd probably not even dress for the full 82 games, so he'd likely still have something in the tank at the end of the season should the team make the playoffs. Also, since he would mostly be playing bottom-6 it's not like he'd be taking a lot of development time from Hansen or Dorsett, and any prospects who would be brought up for some games would still be able to get into those games.

- Bertuzzi could indeed be a mentor to a kid like Kassian, showing him how to use his size better, re-inforcing the importance of fitness, and yes, the importance of holding your temper during a game (the Moore incident as a case in point). Kassian can get a little hot under the collar and when he does he becomes less effective. He could learn how to channel those feelings to help him achieve positive results on the ice.

- with the Moore incident looking like it has been settled, the amount of distraction it would have caused had it still been ongoing should be considerably less. It would (hopefully) diminish to pretty much nothing by November provided nothing came up to re-awaken the topic.

regards,

G.

If Bert ever came back to Vancouver, got back his old #44, and played with the Sedins, the Canucks would have the 223344 Line! ;)

If not, then talk Kassian into taking Bert's old Canuck number and put him with the twins if and when he earns it.

#9 should be given to a more proven or emerging goalscorer. Shinkaruk wore it in Medicine Hat and Virtanen wears #18 in Calgary, which is 2 x 9. Shinkaruk and Virtanen both have strong goalscoring potential.

What was that???

Todd Bertuzzi is a disgrace and a criminal. The night he assaulted Steve Moore, I lost all respect for him. He had always been a hothead before the incident, proven by his NYI and junior days. He was my favorite Canuck up until that sucker punch, now, meh. He has done nothing since leaving Vancity and will continue to do nothing, hopefully elsewhere. The Canucks don't need to return to that dark time by signing an over-the-hill, washed up has-been. Would rather have Messier back... And I strongly dislike Messier.

My God, you guys are still living in the WCE era? Let it go.

Nazzy's retired, Mo's nowhere to be seen in the NHL and Bert is way passed his prime. Face it. Bertuzzi is never coming back. Period.

WCE era was our best era. They were the ones that gave us the best chance at wining a cup. Didn't matter if they never made it past a 2nd round, they got closer than the sedins and 94 ever could in terms of ability.

WCE era was our best era. They were the ones that gave us the best chance at wining a cup. Didn't matter if they never made it past a 2nd round, they got closer than the sedins and 94 ever could in terms of ability.

So much fail...if the WCE was our best shot at a Cup then please explain to me why they never brought us to an SCF while the Sedins got us one win away from a Cup? If you're going to troll at least do it properly.

I say yes to a min wage one year contract. He can be used for the PP and to mentor Kassian.

Bert's distractions are now over with the civil suit and can focus more on hockey.

Would be great to see retire a Canuck.

Greatest power forward in Canuck history

So much fail...if the WCE was our best shot at a Cup then please explain to me why they never brought us to an SCF while the Sedins got us one win away from a Cup? If you're going to troll at least do it properly.

They had no goaltending. If Luongo was there we would have won.

Todd Bertuzzi is a disgrace and a criminal. The night he assaulted Steve Moore, I lost all respect for him. He had always been a hothead before the incident, proven by his NYI and junior days. He was my favorite Canuck up until that sucker punch, now, meh. He has done nothing since leaving Vancity and will continue to do nothing, hopefully elsewhere. The Canucks don't need to return to that dark time by signing an over-the-hill, washed up has-been. Would rather have Messier back... And I strongly dislike Messier.

You can just calm down there.

Wow, strong words. I do agree that he is a disgrace and a criminal, I would also add that he is one of the most overrated players in Canuck history based largely on a couple of good years where he basically got away with countless incidents of what is now accepted as interference. Once the league adjusted its stance on what was and wasn't interference he almost instantly became more detriment than asset with himself and his buddy Saint Markus posting the two worst +/- numbers on the team only a couple of seasons after their heyday. A lot of people here think he was some sort of tough guy; I say that you could count the number of fights he has been in on your fingers and most of those were waltzes or foxtrots. What he proved to me was that he was a wannabe bully and a coward and, what's worse, a fairweather friend. When he tried to put all his assets in his wife's name right after the Moore writ was dropped I laughed out loud at the pathetic stupidity of the move; like anybody wasn't going to catch that weasel move. The idea of him "mentoring" Kassian gives me the horrors; hasn't Kass got himself in enough trouble already?

It would be a nostalgia move, not a hockey one. At a time when the team is trying to get younger and is already, is some people's opinion, overburdened with veterans, this wouldn't make a lot of sense. I think I'd rather see Big Bird before Big Bert.

Mark Messier is a disgrace and criminal. The night he assaulted Mike Modano I already had no respect for him. He had always been a dirty pervo loser before the incident proven by slapping Gary Coleman in the ass while wearing nothing but a towel. He was my least favorite NHL'er until he signed here, now, yeah, still my least favourite. He has done nothing to add to society and will continue to do nothing....Would rather have Matt Cooke back... And I strongly dislike Cooke.

Matt Cooke is a disgrace and a criminal. The night he assaulted Marc Savard, I lost all respect for him. He had always been a dirty rat before the incident, proven by his previous time as a Canuck. He was never my favourite Canuck. He has done nothing but end careers since leaving Vancity and will continue to end them unless he is locked in jail, hopefully in the USA. The Canucks don't need to return to that dark time by signing an dirty rat player, washed up has-been. Would rather have Marty Mcsorely... And I strongly dislike Mcsorley.

Marty Mcsorley is a disgrace and a criminal. The night he assaulted Donald Brashear, I lost all respect for him. He had always been a goon before the incident, proven by his time as an Oiler. He was my favourite used douche nozzle. He has done nothing but get beat up by John Malkovich on film since hockey and will continue to do films until people realize he sucks. The league doesn't need to return to that dark time by allowing a goon player back in the fold. Would rather have Bertuzzi back... And I strongly dislike Bertuzzi.

Todd Bertuzzi is....oh crap, this again?

Archived