The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Won the David Booth Trade?

Ouellet

booth held $4.25m of desperately needed cap in our best years as a franchise, so yeah, that was literally the worst trade possible.

Serious question here: who was out there that the Canucks could have spent this $4.25 million on? I'm assuming a UFA signing rather than a trade. And it would have to be a guy who was available in 2012 as otherwise Samuelsson and Sturm would still be here taking up space.

regards,

G.

Not having Booth's cap hit probably could have lead to us keeping Schneider. Assumimg Gillis doesn't pick up someone else down the road.

Interesting thought. I also assume that that money would probably have been used up prior to the Schneider situation coming to the fore.

This being said, I suspect that things may have turned out somewhat similar in the goalie situation to how they did even if the Booth cap space were available.

regards,

G.

Other than his first 10 games (and his backcheck the game tying goal during game 5 of the LA series) Booth was great for us in his first season. He was physically dominant in the LA series despite only getting 1 assist.

Meanwhile Florida got an oldie in samuelsson and a superstar who didn't want to show up everyone in sturm. Cassels is a good bonus.

It was a win win trade, as we got our 3rd back and a top 6 forward (that season anyways) while florida got two veterans that they won't be stuck with for long.

Serious question here: who was out there that the Canucks could have spent this $4.25 million on? I'm assuming a UFA signing rather than a trade. And it would have to be a guy who was available in 2012 as otherwise Samuelsson and Sturm would still be here taking up space.

regards,

G.

I think back and honestly, without trading key pieces of the team or what meager prospects we had there was nobody via UFA that could have complimented Kesler in the way people are speaking.

That cap space taking back a bad contract with a ++ would have been about it really as I cannot think of anyone we could have grabbed via UFA

regards,

G.

So many players signed as UFAs for that amount or less. P.A. Parenteau, for example, I think he'd have liked to come back to Canada and play on a line with a 40 goal scorer. Hartnell ended up being traded while we had booth, their cap space is a wash and umberger doesn't exactly reek trade value, I bet we could have packaged something. Samuelsson at 2.5 + having the flexibility to make a move or ship someone out would have been much better.

Imagine Jagr with the Sedins. omg.

and there were plenty of calls to use a compliance buyout on him. The Canucks didn’t, electing to keep him for another season.

They didn't "elect to keep him", they couldn't buy Booth out last year. You can't buy out a player on LTI.

Good hockey trade. Cassels tips it in Vancouver's favour.

Florida got to move on from Booth, and shed some future cap space.

Vancouver took a gamble on a top-6 player with size, looking to bounceback. They gave up next to nothing. Caphit was a calculated risk.

I don't know why some people hate this trade. You're not going to 'win' every trade (not one GM has done that)

Did people really expect us to be guaranteed a bonafide top 6 PWF, with what little we gave up?

You use the information given and make a decision whether the proposed deal can help your team. Thats it.

Not missing Samuelsson nor Sturm. That capspace wasn't going to be used elsewhere either.(weak FA market)

You win or lose a trade if you achieve your goal

Florida's goal was to shed a bunch of salary and a long term contract not gain talent... they achieved that

Vancouvers goal, i'm assuming, was to get a younger bigger player than samuelson .. banking that he would be better than the career year that both samuelson and kesler had together, big fail on that. They also saddled themselves with a large longterm contract that was eating a top 6 position on a team during its window.. big fail #2

Florida achieved its goals.. Vancouver failed at its goals and was stunted from going for plan B

Cole Cassels may turn furtunes around in the future but as of now this was a win for florida and a spectacular loss during a critical couple of seasons for vancouver.

Archived