The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Penguins

-Vintage Canuck-

He jumps it to Bo dude watch it again. Slow it down if you have to. He leaves his feet

As frustrating as it is, I have to agree with Dasein and say it was a clean hit. Watching it live I felt like it was interference, but watching the replay, it looks clean. Horvat had JUST pushed the puck forward, and Comeau didn't leave his skates until after he made initial contact.

Looking at it again, Horvat tried to skate through Comeau instead of trying to stay away from him. Had Horvat skated diagonally with the puck, Comeau would have had to take a penalty or let Horvat go in alone.

Quite the dominance tonight -- Pittsburgh couldn't do anything. The third line had them completely hemmed in their own zone, especially in the second, and were fortunate the score wasn't higher. The injuries are of little excuse -- they certainly aren't anywhere near as bad as Columbus, as they still have two of the world's best players healthy.

Vey continues to look more and more comfortable out there. Still under 50 games in the NHL, and he's progressing well. Bo missed a great chance in the third, he's going to put up decent numbers as a rookie. Did WD and his boys get ahold of Matthias or what? Dougie has Edler straightened out and Sbisa is coming along, now time to get Kassian on track and the Canuck machine will really get rolling.

So once you don't have a stick you're not allowed to touch another player? Guys that lose their stick use their body all the time - in fact it's the only thing they can do.

Watch the damn play at 2:21 and the replay that follows: Bo tries to go from his backhand to forehand and still has the puck on his stick when he gets caught with a clean, shoulder-on-shoulder open ice hit. Also, Comeau's left skate is still on the ice (meaning Comeau isn't in the air before he nails Bo) when he hits so he didn't jump into Bo.

Just a good, clean open ice hit. Props to Bo for getting right back up and getting after the puck.

Definitely wasn't shoulder to shoulder...Pit player hit him with his arms extended

Just watching the highlights and I love the bro hug between Miller and Lack at the end. You can tell that Miller is genuinely happy for Lack and that Lack knows how excited Miller is for him

Ahhhh a drama-free goalie duo. Never thought I'd see the day

Well, don't forget Luongo had a 'bro' relationship with both Schneider and Lack too, and look what happened. So there's still plenty of time for the media and fans to manufacture some drama between Miller and Lack too! Just wait till Miller goes through a few rough games and Lack stands on his head in relief! It's naive to think this goalie duo is going to remain 'drama-free' in this market.

Looking at it again, Horvat tried to skate through Comeau instead of trying to stay away from him. Had Horvat skated diagonally with the puck, Comeau would have had to take a penalty or let Horvat go in alone.

Why would anyone skate through a player? If he had, he would have "bulled" him over. Horvat clearly made a move to go around him to get in the clear, and was interfered with -- that's how he was knocked over. Even if he had just pushed the puck ahead, he would have made the same move to his left. I'm no ref, but any other time I've seen a player without his stick interfere to stop a player from going in alone it's called. The SHG was justice though, so all's well :)

Definitely wasn't shoulder to shoulder...Pit player hit him with his arms extended

Nope. When you look at it from both angles at principle point of contact, Comeau has his arms tucked in and hits Bo square on his right shoulder. Because Bo is coming at Comeau with a lot of force (200+lbs with speed), Bo sort of spins off to his left because Comeau only makes contact with his right side rather than through his core, and that's when you see Comeau's arms extend as he pushes Bo off his body.

Why would anyone skate through a player? If he had, he would have "bulled" him over. Horvat clearly made a move to go around him to get in the clear, and was interfered with -- that's how he was knocked over. Even if he had just pushed the puck ahead, he would have made the same move to his left. I'm no ref, but any other time I've seen a player without his stick interfere to stop a player from going in alone it's called. The SHG was justice though, so all's well :)

But it's NOT interference if the player still has possession of the puck, which Bo clearly did.

Bo tried to stickhandle so Comeau laid an open ice hit to the shoulder on a player carrying the puck, which is completely legal. That contact would have been illegal if Bo had dumped and chased the puck since he wouldn't have had possession.

Players without the stick can still make plays with their body as long as the plays are legal (so no holding, tripping or any other illegal contact). How many times do you see defenders lose their sticks in their own zone and try and stay in the play by pushing guys off the puck? It's essentially what Comeau did in the neutral zone.

Although he definitely looks better lately, he hardly played great tonight. Edler took 3 penalties against the best PP team in the league, thats hardly a good idea.

One was a coincidental minor, basically because Downie tried to fight him. So no PP there.

Another was him taking down Crosby with the puck loose in front...not necessarily a bad strategy.

Edler was a beast this game.

Here's a great angle of Comeau's hit on Horvat. It's not interference as the puck is right there on Horvat's stick. It's not charging as Comeau's left skate is still on the ice as he initiates contact. The only infraction up for debate is a head shot because as you can see Comeau makes initial contact with Horvat's face before hitting any shoulder. Even then I have no problems with it not being called a headshot on the ice. I thought it was a great hit just like Stanton's.

WhWcTPX.jpg

Here's a great angle of Comeau's hit on Horvat. It's not interference as the puck is right there on Horvat's stick. It's not charging as Comeau's left skate is still on the ice as he initiates contact. The only infraction up for debate is a head shot because as you can see Comeau makes initial contact with Horvat's face before hitting any shoulder. Even then I have no problems with it not being called a headshot on the ice. I thought it was a great hit just like Stanton's.

WhWcTPX.jpg

Good find.

And exactly - Stanton also made contact with Hornqvist's head a bit but both he and Comeau drove through the body and the contact to the head was incidental at most (it seems in Stanton's hit that their heads collided but Stanton hit him shoulder to shoulder).

Needed this comment when Marek was talking about how weak the Canucks' schedule has been.

That's actually what prompted me to go through the schedule because as I recall, they've been beating up on everyone, not simply Edmonton - and I made that comment in the GDT at the time - but they were 6-1-1 at that point.

The same BS has been passed off regarding the Canucks for years - that their records in their contending years were inflated by virtue of being in the Northwest. I've made a few posts (and a thread) on the subject in past few years - to evidence that in fact they beat up on every single division in hockey - in fact absolutely dominated the best division in the NHL - the Central - through those years - and dominated every division in the league.

Posted this last season, so keep in mind that "last year" now refers to two seasons ago.

The Central was the best division in hockey last year - the Canucks were 9-2 vs the Central - 11-6 the year before, and 13-6 the year before that.

They were 22-11 vs the East the two years previous (did not play the east last year). 11-5, 11-6.

They were 13-5 vs the Pacific in 2011, and 11-5 in 2012. They were 6-7 last year, in large part due to being winless against SJ, who they'd dominated to the cue of 10-3 the previous two years.

33-14 vs the Central.

22-11 vs the East.

30-17 vs the Pacific.

85-42 against non-Northwest opponents.

In other words, if the other Northwest opponents had not existed at all, the Canucks still would have been posting seasons in the 110 point range through those years.

The attempt to over-inflate the significance of a few extra points against Edmonton is a fail and always has been.

Both the open ice hits were fine, Edler was fine, everything was fine. Fine fine fine all around.

well no actually, Sbisa and Bieksa still gave me a few near-heartattacks, but it all worked out in the end.

I was a little worried about Higgins after that collision w/ Malkin, but that was early and he looked alright the rest of the game, so I'm hoping that's fine as well.

Archived