The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Dreger) Canucks and Bruins talking trade

Southpop45

Why the hell do people want Krug...

He's small and is backed up in a highly defensive system by larger bodied D men with one single decent season under his belt while paired with Chara (it was Chara wasn't it?)

We have a Subban, we're good in that regard and the offers people are throwing out for him are baffling.

Minister has probably the most realistic offer for him but come on people...The league is littered with players that had 1 good season and saw other teams over pay.

As well Boston has no cap space to absorb a $4+ million contract let alone 2 of them

We're not in that position to comfortably absorb that kind of mistake. Wait it out for Subban if you want that kind of D man, don't overpay for one just because he's the flavour of the month

Why the hell do people want Krug...

He's small and is backed up in a highly defensive system by larger bodied D men with one single decent season under his belt while paired with Chara (it was Chara wasn't it?)

We have a Subban, we're good in that regard and the offers people are throwing out for him are baffling.

Minister has probably the most realistic offer for him but come on people...The league is littered with players that had 1 good season and saw other teams over pay.

As well Boston has no cap space to absorb a $4+ million contract let alone 2 of them

We're not in that position to comfortably absorb that kind of mistake. Wait it out for Subban if you want that kind of D man, don't overpay for one just because he's the flavour of the month

If its Higgins for Krug id take the chance on it. Krug is only 23. I wouldnt give up any high picks or prospects though.

If its Higgins for Krug id take the chance on it. Krug is only 23. I wouldnt give up any high picks or prospects though.

Ya I could do a Higgins but some of the other offers are crazy.

Sure wouldn't hand Kassian and Subban to them. Still have a bad taste in my mouth thinking of another promising young PWF type player we gave Boston for an again center way back when

I'd trade Kassian away, watching him play is hurting my brain. I see him doing much better in Boston than in Vancouver.

Vancouver:

Krug+ Smith.3nd rounder

Boston:

Kassian+Subban 2nd rounder

Can't see Boston going for this this. Smith is slightly better than Kassian IMO and Krug is far better at this point then Subban. Don't think thr 2nd and the 3rd makes enough difference.

The Bruins need Cap space($.9M),we have ($2.2M) so,

Eriksson($4.25M) would probably be part of it

Higgins($2.5M)3yrs

Sestito($0.75M)UFA

Weber($0.85M)UFA

for

Eriksson($4.25M) 2yrs

Krug ($1.4M)RFA

Picks and or prospects

Boston would love Higgins and Sestito and clear cap space

I think we would be the ones that would have to give up picks / prospects since they're trying to win a cup and this trade makes their team worse. Good proposal tho (y)

LOL!!!

I get that Krug can at least move the puck out of a zone, but he's always been the guy our team targeted when attacking the Bruins zone. He's practically a defensive non-factor compared to all their other defensemen.

The words 'should have just kept Garrison' come to mind.

The entertainment factor of trading Burrows to Boston is very appealing to me though. The Chia presser alone would be worth it. Imagine him trying to justify to B's fans on why he acquired one of their most hated players in the league. "Well, I think he has a lot of bite in his game." LOL!!!

Higgins is far more likely to go, but who gets promoted to the 2nd line? Vey? Um... Okay? So in response to a long losing streak, we're making our lineup smaller up front and in back?

The part I really like about this though is that Krug is a KHL threat. So total cap dump and tank move for this year and next if true. But mentioning Burr to the Bruins makes me think it is definitely not.

As for B's forward trade bait:

Passing on Spooner. Looks like an AHLer.

Passing on Khokhlachev. Ditto.

Passing on Caron. Same.

Griffith a bit more appealling, but not all that excited.

Aaand Eriksson looks like damaged goods.

Considering both teams are in need of top-6 talent, I'm not sure they make good trading partners. Unless Benning is confident that one of his prospects is ready for a big step up.

Torey Krug NHL totals at 23 years old

110 Reg season games, 53 points(19 goals,34asst)

27 playoff games, 16 points (6 goals, 10 asst)

Pretty consistent +.5 points per game

Playing on a pretty stacked team that has guys who can do the heavy lifting defensively.

I have a bad feeling about buying high on Krug. Isn't he primarily a left side guy as well?

Nothing really all that interesting on the B's, not really interested either in giving away future picks or prospects.

Unless we are the ones unloading some vets for some picks or prospects not really interested in making a deal. Highly doubt Burrows or Higgins would want to go with Boston of all places.

As for B's forward trade bait:

Passing on Spooner. Looks like an AHLer.

Passing on Khokhlachev. Ditto.

Passing on Caron. Same.

Griffith a bit more appealling, but not all that excited.

Aaand Eriksson looks like damaged goods.

Considering both teams are in need of top-6 talent, I'm not sure they make good trading partners. Unless Benning is confident that one of his prospects is ready for a big step up.

Khokhlachev/Griffith + pick would be ideal for a guy like Higgins or Hansen. This way, Kassian likely gets bumped up to the 2nd line or Vey.

Or maybe, Canucks add to Higgins (plus a prospect/pick) & get Eriksson potentially who has been a bust in Boston ever since arrival. This, B's lose cap and get a better forward (since Eriksson hasn't clicked there), and Canucks can put Vrbata on the 2nd line & Eriksson with the Sedins. Only thing is I'm not too sure JB would want another older guy with the way our team is looking and a pretty expensive contract for a guy who's been under underachieving for a few years now.

Who from our top 9 would consider waiving to go to Boston? Something tells me nothing comes of this.

Maybe Higgins since he's from NYC and BOS is close to home and family. Also, Higgins only has a limited NTC, meaning that he probably would protect against going to re-building teams EDM, CGY, WPG CAR, ARI, BUF etc but not BOS when he has to come up with a list.

Not saying Higgins would want to go, but that he's a possibility from our top 6.

The deal will be Higgins and Burrows for Tory Krug and a add on. That's the meat of the trade proposal. Interesting would give the nucks a QB on the PP and offense from defense. Burrows and Higgins add depth and scoring to the forward rank.

Would also free up significant cap space for the canucks to make further moves b4 the deadline or dip into the free agency market in the offseason.

You must consider the cap implications on both sides and then you will see that "the meat" your proposal is impossible. BOS has no cap room so they certainly cannot take both Higgins and Burr for Krug unless they include a big name with some cap hit coming our way or BOS makes a cap dump trade with someone else before trading with us.

Higgins is far more likely to go, but who gets promoted to the 2nd line? Vey? Um... Okay? So in response to a long losing streak, we're making our lineup smaller up front and in back?

The part I really like about this though is that Krug is a KHL threat. So total cap dump and tank move for this year and next if true. But mentioning Burr to the Bruins makes me think it is definitely not.

Jensen to replace Vey until Kassian returning means 6'3" upgrade on the 3rd line so there is net gain.

I don't think Benning would take Krug only to let him go to the KHL.

Yeah I agree there is zero chance Burr would go to Boston.. even if not for the finals he's from Quebec.

I'm thinking there won't be any chance of a deal until Chara and kassian are both over their injuries. Then we send them a forward and get a defenseman in return with possibly some extra pieces from each side.

Chara's already back and we have Jensen to fill in until Kass returns in two weeks so I don't see the point in waiting for either teams - especially since even a done deal could be pulled off the table in that waiting period because of circumstantial changes or a better deal pops up on either side. If they have a deal that makes sense right now then they'd pull the trigger IMO and not wait for Kass - unless Kass is a part of that deal so he needs to be back to full health or Benning wants to see his team at full health before deciding who to move.

Playing on a pretty stacked team that has guys who can do the heavy lifting defensively.

I have a bad feeling about buying high on Krug. Isn't he primarily a left side guy as well?

Buying High?

I proposed Higgins, Sestito and Weber for Krug and Eriksson + picks and or prospects

Archived