The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Faster, not bigger

Bo.Horvat53

Anyone else here watch the game and feel like the Canucks were skating in quick sand the whole night? I mean seriously, we look sloooowww out there. I know this isn't new, and we're not known as a fast team, but boy have some players lost a step.

Burrows looks like half of the player he used to be in his hay days, and that's mostly because he lost his tenacity and speed. What happened to the aggressive in your face Burrows that hustled every night? We need that right now.

Yes, Kesler and Raymond had to go, but we lost a ton of speed when they left, and haven't exactly filled those holes. Bonino isn't a bad skater, but he is in no way a fast one.

Watching the Devils Sens game before ours last night and even the fracking Devils look faster than us. One thing I've noticed is that the canucks absolutely love to skate the puck out of their zone rather than quickly chip it up or fire an outlet pass.

I guess what I'm saying is our most prominent need is speed, not size. Please do not trade Jannik Hansen, because he was literally the only player I noticed actually skating last night.

Don't get me wrong, I'm confident in the core and feel they can bounce back. We just need an extra injection of speed intolerant lineup to start competing again

Someone missed the breakaways we had last night. And that we have added a number of players that are faster and look to get faster as our drafted players/prospects start to mature.

Well said.

I was talking to some friends after the game and they said the canucks were slow last night.

You don't get breakaways and odd man rushes that many times if your team is slow. I think our blend of size and speed is very good. Always could be improved though.

Were neither. That's the problem.

We're too slow for fast teams and too soft for big teams. This also makes us match poorly against traps. It looks like we'll be going for a future of big and fast but that's going to take time

WE're built well to take on the Oilers in their current state..

Anyone else here watch the game and feel like the Canucks were skating in quick sand the whole night? I mean seriously, we look sloooowww out there. I know this isn't new, and we're not known as a fast team, but boy have some players lost a step.

Burrows looks like half of the player he used to be in his hay days, and that's mostly because he lost his tenacity and speed. What happened to the aggressive in your face Burrows that hustled every night? We need that right now.

Yes, Kesler and Raymond had to go, but we lost a ton of speed when they left, and haven't exactly filled those holes. Bonino isn't a bad skater, but he is in no way a fast one.

Watching the Devils Sens game before ours last night and even the fracking Devils look faster than us. One thing I've noticed is that the canucks absolutely love to skate the puck out of their zone rather than quickly chip it up or fire an outlet pass.

I guess what I'm saying is our most prominent need is speed, not size. Please do not trade Jannik Hansen, because he was literally the only player I noticed actually skating last night.

Don't get me wrong, I'm confident in the core and feel they can bounce back. We just need an extra injection of speed intolerant lineup to start competing again

We obviously wern't watching the same game. Canucks gave them fits with their speed. We out played the Stars but ran into a hot goalie. Lack played well but let in a bad goal. that was the difference, not Dallas skating circles around us as you suggested.

We obviously wern't watching the same game. Canucks gave them fits with their speed. We out played the Stars but ran into a hot goalie. Lack played well but let in a bad goal. that was the difference, not Dallas skating circles around us as you suggested.

Maybe for a few shifts this was true, but for an entire period Dallas controlled the play and we were lucky to be only down by one after period 2. This lengthly vanishing act on what should have been an offensive rebound game vs. a weak defense is what Desjardins and Benning has to be concerned about. While we definitely miss Hamhuis, Dallas hasn't had any defensemen close to his calibre all season long. However, they have a lot of speed up front. We noticed that when they trounced us 7-1 in our first meeting this season.

Anyway, we have some speedy prospects and the rebuild will continue for a few years.

Jake Virtanen and Nik Jensen say hi. There coming soon to a team near you and they can fly.

Shink too (not size, but crazy speed). I'm looking forward to it.

I think Higgins will be traded by the end of the year, and Burrows too, if they can make it work. Bring in the young guns!

Shink too (not size, but crazy speed). I'm looking forward to it.

I think Higgins will be traded by the end of the year, and Burrows too, if they can make it work. Bring in the young guns!

Agreed Hunter as well but I hope for his sake he spends more time in the A. He is currently having a tough time breaking bad habits from playing against less mature players.

Yeah, I think age has a lot to due with us slowing down...And it doesn't help that we lost guys who were fast for us previously too.

I went to watch a game before Kassian got injured, so I've been wondering if it is just me who finds him to be slow or is he really slow? I didn't expect a young guy like him to be as slow as the Sedins. :|

Archived