The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett UFA, present and future

Crabcakes

Dorsett is one of 3 UFA's that are being talked about: also Matthias and Richardson (Biega is too)

Obviously, in an ideal world it would be nice to get all 3 signed but this may not be possible particularly because Matthias has had a breakout year and may command a much higher salary.

Of the 3, it has been said that Dorsett is the most expendable because both Matthias and Richardson can play centre and that the skills that Dorsett bring are easier to find. Kenins in fact, is a similar, younger player who brings these skills (but he does not fight).

Jim Benning in an interview today on the Bro Jake Show on TSN1040 said something interesting about Dorsett. He sad that Dorsett brings it every night and works very hard. He also works really hard at practice, every practice and is a really good example for younger players.

None of this is surprising but the way Benning said it made me think that there is no way that Dorsett walks this summer. He is exactly the sort of guy they want to keep. As they bring up younger players, they need examples to see what it takes to be a pro. We know that Kassian's improvement coincided with his friendship with Dorsett.

Thoughts?

Dorsett, 29 years next season, $1.63M cap hit, $2M salary, 6-17-23 +4 in 73 games

Matthias, 27 years, $1.75 cap, $1.85 salary, 17-9-26 -3

Richardson, 30 years, $1.15 cap, $1.15 salary, 8-13-21 0

Dorsett will not be let go... he's been a great leader to the young guys ex Horvat and so forth.. he plays his role exceptionally well...

you can't give his spot to a rookie - will the rookie provide what dorsett does? - i dont think so.

I think you gotta keep Dorsett & Matthias, however Horvat may be able to replace Richardson.

Dorsett is an interesting example of the contrast between "advanced stats" and what we see on the ice. Dorsett has terrible advanced stats and they look even worse when quality of competition is taken into account.

But Dorsett plays hard, stands up for teammates, is willing to fight, and makes a lot of hits.

So how do we value his contribution. If Richardson and Kassian get healthy does he even stay in the line-up?

Whether he is re-signed depends a lot on what he will sign for. WIth Tanev getting a big contract (and bigger than a lot of people expected) the Canucks have cap problems. If he wants a raise on his current salary of $2M I don't see how the Canucks can re-sign him. And even $2 million is pretty high.

I believe he likes it here but my prediction is that he is unlikely to be re-signed.

Keep Matthias, give rookies Dorsett's and Richardson's spots.

IMO Matthais and Richardson can be let go. Matthais doesn't know the word HIT .

One has to love the diversity of opinions on CDC.

fwiw, I lean towards the view that Dorsett is the 3rd most skilled of the 3 named players but the most important to try to keep, even though ...

Dorsett is an interesting example of the contrast between "advanced stats" and what we see on the ice. Dorsett has terrible advanced stats and they look even worse when quality of competition is taken into account.

But Dorsett plays hard, stands up for teammates, is willing to fight, and makes a lot of hits.

So how do we value his contribution. If Richardson and Kassian get healthy does he even stay in the line-up?

Whether he is re-signed depends a lot on what he will sign for. WIth Tanev getting a big contract (and bigger than a lot of people expected) the Canucks have cap problems. If he wants a raise on his current salary of $2M I don't see how the Canucks can re-sign him. And even $2 million is pretty high.

I believe he likes it here but my prediction is that he is unlikely to be re-signed.

I'm not terribly optimistic that the Canucks will be able to sign him, either. My concern is whether he and the Canucks will be able to reach agreement on term, plus the fact that his home remains in Columbus, where he met his wife. http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Ohio+stop+homecoming+Canucks+Derek/10420960/story.html

Dorsett is 28 and will turn 29 in December. He's not a big guy by NHL standards, listed at 6'-192. What he's brought to the Canucks and every team he's played for, besides his worth ethic and being able to play a regular shift well enough to not hurt his team and some versatility, has been his grit. He hits, he fights to get his team going when they seem to lack energy and he stands up for teammates, fighting bigger players. For much of this season he led the league in fighting majors, which is incredible for someone his size.

His only season with less than 100 PIM was the strike-shortened 2012-13 season. So far this season he has 162. How long can his body-and his head-take the punishment that his style of play heaps on it. How long do frequent fighters last as effective players, able to help a team while taking a regular shift?

We've seen a great deal of discussion this season about players who got multi-year contracts and since then have, with age, become less effective. Think of the complaints on CDC this season about Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Higgins and even the twins.

Dorsett, 28 and coming 29 in December, is at an age where normally production would decrease. fwiw, his scoring this season is a career high though his pts/60 min at 5 on 5 is behind all but Vey and McMillan among Canuck forwards. His possession stats are terrible this season, both relative to other Canucks forwards and relative to his own history. His FF% is worst among regular Canuck forwards and FF%RelTM is far below any Canuck forward who has played 50+ minutes this season, at -7.3. His stats, scoring, Corsi, Fenwick, relative to other Canuck forwards, as well as his stats over the last few years, can be viewed easily at http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/index.php, choosing filters as desired.

How long is it likely that Dorsett can continue to be effective on the ice? How long is it safe to sign him for without his contract being excessive relative to what he brings to the table? I'd worry about the wear and tear on his body and his head given his playing style.

How long should one sign him for?

I'd say 2 years, then see how he looks and if appropriate offer him another contract, but I don't think he'd sign for 2 years unless nobody in the league offers him a longer term. Pretty clearly the term is on his mind. From Willes in The Province March 26 http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Willes+Canucks+Dorsett+brings+fire/10919962/story.html:

"Dorsett, for his part, says he and his family love Vancouver but, “It’s not just about me (Dorsett became a first-time father earlier this season). If there’s something long-term, that’s great. I guess we’ll have to look at the situation when it’s presented.”

He wants a long term contract. We'll see this summer whether the Canucks are willing to give it to him.

That's crazy talk, Dorsett is our emotional leader and our hardest worker.

Which says enough about the team right there. We need a youth infusion in a big way. Mind you I don't like nor dislike any of the three mentioned. I'm indifferent because they're all expendamye.

I would keep Matthias and Dorsett if cheap. Richardson has missed most of the season this year and we barely missed him. Horvat will move up to third line center. With Vey and Matthias all able to play center and the fact that Gaunce is close to becoming our 4th line center, who is cheaper which would be a necessity for the cap hit and their plan on getting younger. Next year we may see young roster of Kennis, Horvat, Gaunce, Vey, Virtannan and Corrado.

Willie-D and Benning both praise Dorsett regularly. They want his work ethic to rub off on other players. I expect him to be re-signed for at least one more season, possibly two. Richardson will probably not be re-signed; I'm hoping we re-up Matthias.

Matthias was hot for a number of weeks but seems to have gone off the boil recently. He'll get more money but maybe not quite the raise we all thought.

Ritchie is very good in the room apparently. We see the games and the play and don't often appreciate the intangibles.

It comes down to the salary cap and the money.

Archived