The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian may not be going anywhere

Erik Karlsson

It seems like Kassian is finally starting to mature and needs to stay in peak physical condition because of his back now.

Some news from an HF poster (HockeyWidow) who is very reliable.

Kassian was starting to play the way WD wanted just before his back injury. His physical fitness was said to be the main issue. Remember when he first came here and we called him gassian? I think it has taken him a long time to figure out that in the pros you can't just show up, put on your skates and dominate. From all accounts he started his turn around the first off season that he went to Sweden and trained with the twins but it has taken him some time to truly get it.

The bouts of partying while on DL, things like that, he had to out grow. From all indications this off season, and since his back injury, he seems to have gotten it. Maybe WD handled him correctly. The back injury changed things for him too. It is the type of nagging condition that he has to manage in order to prevent flare ups.

I'm hoping for a Kassian that gets he has to work at being a pro and one that stays healthy and becomes that power forward so many of us think he can be. From nutrition to fitness I am hearing he has put in so far a monster off season and wants desperately to earn a job and keep it. I think almost everyone would be stoked if he can do that, including Benning.

Also some vids of him,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HthpahBUJJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdEyEfJaTtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-suFdp_Aj8

I can't embed on this computer for some reason...

It's the leanest I've seen him so far.

He was playing great before he went down with the injury.

Everytime he gets rolling he either gets injured or suspended, he seems to have some really bad luck.

I also don't think the trade rumors are really that true about him, it doesn't make much sense to trade him now after and injury riddled season where his value would be low, it was probably just to light more of a fire under his ass.

I think next season is the season he finally breaks out.

can you embed the thread too please?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1859229&page=3

If Kassian and Baertschi can both step up and chip in a combined 30g/50a, we'll finally have some of the secondary scoring we've lacked. Plus another year of growth from Horvat!

I'm in the keep Kassian boat. He's so close to that point in his career where we'll really see if he's got it, no point trading him for scraps right now.

IF he is finally taking this as a job as opposed to a fun thing where he gets paid, then it's worth giving him another year. If he was really serious he would workout with Gary Roberts, but i heard that Roberts programs aren't ment for anyone and can be extremely taxing on the body.

can you embed the thread too please?

We should make all our players read Women's Health to be serious about their health as well, but I heard that's not meant for everybody.

Suggesting things like that for the sake of suggesting is pointless w/o substance

Anyways, I'm anti-trading Kassian. He fits the benning mold, and is learning slowly. We don't need to trade him. We don't need to win every game. There is no benefit to playing a guy ten years older in his spot. It's not going to change the teams fortunes.

I hope he gets it. He seems like a great dude. I hope to hell he stays.

I'd rather let Kassian bust out of the league then trade him anywhere. He's the type of player we just never get to have and worth being patient for. Even if grenier exceeds expectaions I'd happily have two.

Yeah same, having Kassian, Grenier, Virtanen and Gaunce in the lineup in the near future will be fun to watch.

No more getting pushed around in the playoffs.

I'd rather let Kassian bust out of the league then trade him anywhere. He's the type of player we just never get to have and worth being patient for. Even if grenier exceeds expectaions I'd happily have two.

Exactly. Grenier and Kassian aren't competing for the same roles at this point. If Grenier makes the team, he'll start the year on the 4th line or as a 13th fwd. If Kassian is really taking this off-season seriously as suggested here, then he's going to be a 2nd/3rd line guy depending on WD's line combinations. You need physical presence on every line, no reason why they can't both play.

Good. I'm still banking on this guy to become the top 6 power forward we've always wanted. Assuming he fully recovers from his nagging back, this is the make or break year for Kassian.

The guy has shown flashes of skill in the offensive zone, so I still think he can go beyond a 3rd line grinder.

good luck with that...if he could learn to play defense, maybe he might make it....right now, i don't see him moving burrows, vrbata,

hansen or dorsett...off the right side....maybe he can beat out baerschi, higgins or kenins on the left wing....maybe higgins can teach him how to play strong defensively.....

Yeah trade him after just 20 games and when his value is low yeaahhhh yayyyyy weeeooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! rbwnb gngb wfsgngrsgsgn,

The thing is, it will be 20 more games, not 20 games total. At some point, the club is going to give up on him if it's always about the "next 20" or his "next step". He's not a 19 year old anymore. At this point, he needs to prove that he belongs and I doubt he gets that many more chances.

He does look really amazing. I love the whale flop exercise :D lol. Looks impressive though. Looks like a boy who has become a man. Will see what he does when push comes to shove when the season starts though. He needs to take everything in strides and if he starts on the 3rd line stay positive and prove your worth. Looks promising :D

Archived