The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

Seems a bit strange that Třinec wouldn't let Jasek come over (to the CHL via the import draft), yet also hasn't really given him the best opportunity with their senior squad (at least based on the trickle of information I've gotten from a few Euro hockey sites).

A bit of a hard line to take on a guy that's not exactly playing a major role for them (at least at the senior level).

I suppose the positive is that Třinec must still view him as a valuable asset, which speaks well to his potential to still develop into a pretty good player one day.

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Interesting research as usual. It might not seem ideal to us, but you're right, it could be a situation where he's pretty ahead of the usual curve. Hopefully it's the right situation for his development.

I think I'd be more antsy about leaving Jasek overseas if he was more physically developed and still not getting much opportunity or success with the men's team. But he's still a very young 18 based on his musculature and weight (standing at 6'1" and only weighing 172 lbs).

So he's probably fine on a longterm development path.

Of course, having him in a top CHL program would likely provide him better training and nutrition and all that good stuff. And it would sure be a hell of a lot easier to gauge his performance if he was playing ~70 games a year against CHL competition. But we've now learned that was never really an option.

Unfortunately, lengthy stays in the Czech leagues aren't a very well established path the become an NHL player (the Canucks Army article speaks well to the diminishing odds of success for the cohort similar to Jasek). But apparently Jasek only has a year left so we could still get "control" over his development right at the time he becomes AHL eligible (he'd turn 20 just before the 2017-18 season I believe).

Edit: I suppose the age requirements don't apply to him anyway.

Hopefully he plays half or more of his 2016-17 seasons with the men's team and starts averaging >10 minutes a night. If he can start putting up points at the senior level, it will be a good indicator for whether or not he's worth a contract and what we might expect from him when and if he finally gets over here.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:04 PM, KKnight said:

Any update on Jasek progress so far this season?? 

In 13 games Trinec has played, Jasek has seen action in 4 of those. He is still the youngest player on the team to dress in more than 1 game, but seems to be stuck as the 13th forward on a team that has had a great start to the Czech season at 11W 2L.

He has also played in 4 games in Czech 2 league with 3 assists

13 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

In 13 games Trinec has played, Jasek has seen action in 4 of those. He is still the youngest player on the team to dress in more than 1 game, but seems to be stuck as the 13th forward on a team that has had a great start to the Czech season at 11W 2L.

He has also played in 4 games in Czech 2 league with 3 assists

doesn't sound like he's getting much playing time? Can he move over to Utica for further development? 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

doesn't sound like he's getting much playing time? Can he move over to Utica for further development? 

You are correct, he is lucky to get 10 mins. a game. No he cannot move over, though the Canucks tried in the offseason, his contract will not allow it and Trinec will not let him go without fulfilling it

10 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

You are correct, he is lucky to get 10 mins. a game. No he cannot move over, though the Canucks tried in the offseason, his contract will not allow it and Trinec will not let him go without fulfilling it

not good for his development then. 

I already wrote a post (page 7) here trying to explain the situation that can still happen in the Czech League. Team management can still be "old school" style where ice time is distributed according salaries on the roster and veterans therefore play first or second line minutes plus power play. Fortunatelly, this is slowly changing and there are teams giving opportunity to young players (at least 12 mins per game - eg. David Kase in Chomutov) and some teams welcoming youngsters (Vitkovice, Pardubice). Unfortunatelly, Trinec does not appear to be trending that way so for Jasek it is not fair competition to be put in. I believe stubborness instead of developing a player some way plays role for managers many times (for a trade to happen team B (sometimes even parents contribute) must pay to team A). But I don´t have any evidence for the Jasek situation so take it please just as my own opinion.

Anyway, some numbers for Jasek in the Czech League:

4 GP,

0 PTS,

5 Shot attempts (3 on goal), 

AVG TOI = 8:06,

AVG PP TOI = 0:01,

AVG SH TOI = 0:01,

Face-offs = 9/16,

PIM = 0,

Plus minus = +1   

Edited by pmalina
  • Upvote 1