The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In retrospect, would you prefer Linden to someone more widely respected across the league?

Hank Moody

Just an interesting debate I was having with a colleague this morning.

We all know Linden exemplifies Vancouver. He's been with us since 1989 and is our captain Canuck. He bleeds blue and green and nobody wants a cup more than he does in this city.

But then this thought crosses my mind: Linden is extremely loved in Vancouver, but what about around the league?

Hear me out. To us, Linden has been our hero for years. But let's not forget his resume - the former head of the NHLPA. Now I'm not going to assume it soured his relationship with any owners or executives around the league being on the players' side, but can we atleast admit it's a possibility?

On the flip side, a team like Tampa Bay brings in Yzerman who I'm SURE is respected as a legend league-wide, and it could definitely help them out just in terms of free agency, trade negotiations etc.

A franchise like Toronto who brings in Shanahan and now Babcock looks a whole lot more appealing to players AND executives who want to deal with them in the future

It's no secret how great of a job Yzerman has done for Tampa, and even Shanahan for Toronto thus far. How much does their reputation around the league account for that?

Let it just be known - I am not for or against anything linden has done so far. I like to let the big guys do their thing and judge the results on the ice. This is just for discussions sake

Would you have preferred to bring in a guy like say, a Scott Niedermayer or are you happy with a guy like Linden who we know bleeds for the team?

Thanks guys

First of all, Linden is respected across the league.

Secondly, his hiring is Boston model. Cam Neely-style. Do Bruins fans have a problem with that? Nope. So why should we have a problem with the Linden hire.

It's year 2 for him and the team is rebuilding. Going to need more time than that to judge, obviously.

Linden is our Yzerman. Sure, he's not as flashy and he's never won a Cup, but he bleeds black, red, and yellow (well, blue and green now) and he's a strong factor in the community. Everyone looks up to him, and he's still the heart and soul of this team. Even though he's still a bit of a rookie in the game, I'm happier with Linden than anyone else at the moment.

Remind us again what Shanahan has done for Toronto. Shed some cap....that's it.

Linden respected league wide? Pretty sure he is.

Linden has little to do with negotiations/signings etc. He is the president, the titular figurehead of the organization and deals with the office side of things in hirings and firings not the on ice product.

That is Benning.

I'd like to think that Linden is pretty well respected around the league.

However, we cannot say much whether he's good or bad until the next 2-3 years. Linden I think despite a few things that bugged me with what he's said, is doing a good job and I'm confident he'll do good through these next up-coming years.

Fair enough!

I wasn't implying that Linden wasn't well-respected around the league, the question I was trying to pose (maybe I didn't frame it correctly) was do we think hiring anyone else could've resulted in an easier time for us in negotiating around the league and attracting bigger executives.

For example, if it were Shanahan vs. Yzerman vs. Linden going after Babcock, do we think we'd have an upper edge with any of the other two guys.

Just wanted your guys' opinions, thanks for sharing!

Linden is our Yzerman. No point questioning this move imo.

Re: Shanahan - wadr, you must be kidding regarding the job he's done.

He came in - had no real plan where he should have known what to do with that franchise from step one (many CDCers knew what to do with them). Instead he idled around and presided over an incredibly damaging year, where he permitted the future bank to be broken with some horrible re-ups that they're paying for now. Not only that, but he wasted a full year - while his team predictably declined - and the result was that the assets he inevitably needed to sell were seriously devalued in the process.

Anyone with a keen eye for the game imo wouild have known that Carlyle had that team overachieving - and that the time to start making serious moves was during his tenure.

Shanahan should have lost his job with Nonis - but appears was just a figure-head - while the real decisions being made appear to be by the supporting cast. Now it's fairly clear that Babcock is calling the shots as much as anyone there - it cetainly looks like it took him putting his foot down to get the Kessel deal done.

Trevor was wise enough to bring in GMJB - and regardless of what the flock of chicken littles in Vancouver might think, Benning is an exceptionally intelligent hockey mind. The other variable that can't be over-stated is the importance of identity to professional sport franchises.

Linden has little to do with negotiations/signings etc. He is the president, the titular figurehead of the organization and deals with the office side of things in hirings and firings not the on ice product.

That is Benning.

Hey, I hate Toronto as much as the next guy,

but since Shanahan's time they've been able to bring in arguably the best coach in the league, flip Kessel for 3 first round-calibre assets, and shed themselves of what I thought would be an immovable David Clarkson contract.

I think he's done a fantastic job.

We didn't hire Linden not only because he's renowned around the league and that he bleeds blue.

We hired Linden because he had the smarts, decent knowledge, capability, acknowledged around the league, and many little things that factor the process of his success.

Fair enough!

I wasn't implying that Linden wasn't well-respected around the league, the question I was trying to pose (maybe I didn't frame it correctly) was do we think hiring anyone else could've resulted in an easier time for us in negotiating around the league and attracting bigger executives.

For example, if it were Shanahan vs. Yzerman vs. Linden going after Babcock, do we think we'd have an upper edge with any of the other two guys.

Just wanted your guys' opinions, thanks for sharing!

Yzerman would probably have the upper-edge.

However, I think Linden has an upper edge compared to Shanahan IMHO.

Is Linden as respected as Yzerman? Nope. Is Linden massively respected around the league? Yup. Would I want anyone else in the role? Nope. I quite literally would not exchange Linden for any other person, not one person. If Linden wasn't our President I would be very very very happy to have Stevie Y. Linden is our Yzerman.

As others have said Linden is respected league wide.

But this whole 'league wide respect' thing is overblown on CDC. At the end of the day GMs of other teams are going to do what is best for THEIR club. They typically aren't going to make moves to spite another GM

You know, I would tend to disagree with you there (The league wide respect thing)

I think there's definitely legitimate cause for reason that certain executives would prefer to deal with those they like and respect over those they don't. It's really no different than in our everyday workplace.

In a setting like the GM meetings, Entry Drafts, etc. etc. do you think Benning would prefer to pick up the phone and call Doug Wilson who, most recently, played around with us, or his old buddy Don Sweeney?

Does it make a MASSIVE difference in the long run? I don't know, i've never been in their shoes. But does it make a difference? Absolutely I believe it does.

Especially for players who are considering which team to sign with - some players grew up idolizing Yzerman. When he calls you on the phone and says he wants to work with you every single day, you've gotta think that factors into the minds of some of these guys.

Is Linden as respected as Yzerman? Nope. Is Linden massively respected around the league? Yup. Would I want anyone else in the role? Nope. I quite literally would not exchange Linden for any other person, not one person. If Linden wasn't our President I would be very very very happy to have Stevie Y. Linden is our Yzerman.

Fair enough, I think the city of Vancouver loves seeing Linden up there all the time as well. Publicity wise, he's our golden boy and it certainly is awesome to see him back with the organization.

League-wide respect may be over-rated. I believe Linden's commitment to the club, the city and fans, his ability for strategic planning and willingness to action tough decisions serves us well. I don't think a candidate with a greater level of respect throughout the NHL would have translated into a more positive experience for the Canucks.

First of all, Linden is respected across the league.

Secondly, his hiring is Boston model. Cam Neely-style. Do Bruins fans have a problem with that? Nope. So why should we have a problem with the Linden hire.

It's year 2 for him and the team is rebuilding. Going to need more time than that to judge, obviously.

That is Benning.

I don't even need to add anything with these two posts already there.

Linden has blown Shanahan out of the water.

Linden walked in and did what had to be done in short order.

He canned Tortorella and brought that failed experiment to an appropriate and swift end.

He locked up the best hockey mind available - one that understands the game from building through your prospect pool forward.

Shanahan walked in and let the Leafs continue to do what the Leafs do.

No story about taking time to get to know yada yada can really apologize for that disastrous, extremely costly first year of bungling. Here is a case where the coulda, shouda really matters. How the Leafs hired someone without the vision to do what had to be done from the get-go is baffling. Sitting on all those resources and it still takes a corporation like so many growing to pains form a clue. Baffling.

Archived