The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic on the trading block

Assuming his personal matters require him to be closer to home in Manitoba...why Western Canada specifically and why is Vancouver on the list but not some Eastern teams? A flight from Ottawa is basically equal in length to that of one from Vancouver. One from Toronto is shorter. One from Minnesota is much shorter. Even one from Chicago is shorter. 

As much as I would LOVE Hamonic to come to Vancouver, I won't be getting my hopes up. I don't see how we make it onto his list unless no other team can put together a deal for him.

27 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

We need to beef our d up. Not make a lateral trade. I hope Tanev is off the table. I'd rather a deal involving a forward and a difference prospect not named Subban. 

And I'd rather we could trade them older players on expiring contracts for all their young stars, but it's not just about what we want in a deal.

1 minute ago, I'm Your Huckleberry said:

Assuming his personal matters require him to be closer to home in Manitoba...why Western Canada specifically and why is Vancouver on the list but not some Eastern teams? A flight from Ottawa is basically equal in length to that of one from Vancouver. One from Toronto is shorter. One from Minnesota is much shorter. Even one from Chicago is shorter. 

As much as I would LOVE Hamonic to come to Vancouver, I won't be getting my hopes up. I don't see how we make it onto his list unless no other team can put together a deal for him.

Who knows, it's all personal so we'll never know. Maybe his family is moving and planning on doing so in western Canada ?

For the american teams may be annoying to fly Canada <-> States consistently to meet with family or w/e within Canada it's much less work for both parties

/shrug who's to know what's going on here lol.

4 minutes ago, I'm Your Huckleberry said:

He probably wants to stay in Canada just to make the flights easier. You don't have to pass through customs.

Honestly, Vancouver is probably just thrown in there to help NYI's bargaining position. I'm sure Winnipeg, Calgary, and Edmonton are his preferred choices.

He isn’t the offensive threat that he was in the WHL,  18 goals in 342 games doesn’t scream offensive.  But he is strong defensively and isn’t afraid to throw his weight around.  He is an ideal top four player. 

If you look at what Sekera (very similar style of game) got at the deadline last year, he got a prospect and a conditional 1st round pick.  Hamonic is on a good deal but it’s known now to the league that he wants out. 

Vbrata + Weber(or prospect) + Conditional 1st round pick (canucks can default to next year if they miss the post season this year) 

Vbrata is UFA but a goal scoring winger would fit well with their lineup.  Okaposo and Vbrata in the top 6 give Tavares different options to play with on the right side.  Considering the deal could happen sooner would also take away the idea the Vbrata is only a rental and would give snow time to resign,

Weber becomes right hand depth. If they are comfortable with Pulock stepping up they may be interested in one of the canucks left handed D prospects, but the one prospect that they would really have their eyes on it Demko.  Adding Demko in my mind would alter the deal completely and value would have to be moved around.

Basically it’s the same deal LA paid but with Vbrata’s value added into it to compensate that Hamonic isn’t pending UFA. 

Does Eberle or Yak trump that offer? I don’t know depends on what NYI is looking for.  But anything over that in my opinion would be an overpayment on our end and giving that Hamonic has shown limited offensive ability at the NHL level I wouldn’t be comfortable paying over the moon. 

19 minutes ago, theminister said:

I'd be willing to do a major shakeup if we could get the pieces to work re: NTCs. 

Vrbata, Edler, Higgins for Hamonic, Okposo (if the rumours of them willing to trade him are also true), with whatever money retained and draft pick particulars would be. 

I'd love a bigger deal that gets us Okposo too....

30 minutes ago, goblix said:

in MG... erp JB we trust :emot-parrot::emot-parrot:

I mean, really...lets look at this big picture. We know what we need to rebuild this team. We know what we are missing, and it is players exactly like these two. No different than when the Isles got Leddy and Boychuk themselves. 

We have our untouchables...80-90% of us would agree on those, with me being in the group that would include our 1sts, this year and next. 

However, aside from those pieces, if other teams are willing to give up previous 'untouchables' then we should be leveraging everything to find a way to make it happen. Hamonic and Barrie would have been considered by everyone to be untouchable a month ago. We need to go for that. 

I would be in favour of a major, and I  mean MAJOR, shakeup if it meant rebuilding from the back out. I would part with both of Edler and Tanev, if necessary to get that done, as long as the rest of our untouchables are left intact. If we could do it without giving up both D, and this is the proviso where I'd include a high pick, then I'd say go for it. Especially so if the Isles are not confident they can bring back Okposo, which there have been rumours of.

If that list includes any current D aside from Hutton, and no Sedins, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser....get it done. We can cope.

Barrie, + (Bigras, Siemens) for Edler +

Tanev, Vrbata, Higgins, + (Baer, Shink, ?) for Hamomic, Okposo

Move Hamhuis for recoup costs, the +s  

Would this leave us a bit weak on the left side? Sure...but just for the time being, and I don't care. It's the type of path we need to take. And we need to jump on it when it's available, since it often isn't. 

6 minutes ago, theminister said:

I mean, really...lets look at this big picture. We know what we need to rebuild this team. We know what we are missing, and it is players exactly like these two. No different than when the Isles got Leddy and Boychuk themselves. 

We have our untouchables...80-90% of us would agree on those, with me being in the group that would include our 1sts, this year and next. 

However, aside from those pieces, if other teams are willing to give up previous 'untouchables' then we should be leveraging everything to find a way to make it happen. Hamonic and Barrie would have been considered by everyone to untouchable a month ago. We need to go for that. 

I would be in favour of a major, and I  mean MAJOR, shakeup if it meant rebuilding from the back out. I would part with both of Edler and Tanev, if necessary to get that done, as long as the rest of our untouchables are left intact. If we could do it without given up both D, and this is the proviso where I'd include a high pick, then I'd say go for it. Especially so if the Isles are not confident they can bring back Okposo, which there have been rumours of.

If that list includes any current D aside from Hutton, and no Sedins, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser....get it done. We can cope.

Barrie, + (Bigras, Siemens) for Edler +

Tanev, Vrbata, Higgins, + (Baer, Shink, ?) for Hamomic, Okposo

Move Hamhuis for recoup costs, the +s  

Would this leave us a bit weak on the left side? Sure...but just for the time being, and I don't care. It's the type of path we need to take. And we need to jump on it when it's available, since it often isn't. 

giphy.gif

22 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd love a bigger deal that gets us Okposo too....

They aren't sure they can resign him to the money he wants. We will be able to after this year. There were rumours they were willing to deal him the last few months. If we can give them an extra body like Higgins then do it.

If it means we need to retain salary this year...who cares?!?

Heck, if we can't get Okposo then I'd be willing to take Bailey for a lesser price, to ease their cap concerns. 

Ultimately, this is about building from the ground up. We could run out the season with a Barrie, Hamonic, Hutton, Sbisa, Bart, Weber (plus actualizing on Hamhuis) D just fine. We won't be worse off and would have more dimensions. 

Time to get crazy with the Cheez Whiz. 

32 minutes ago, I'm Your Huckleberry said:

Like others have noted, the difference between flying domestic (within Canada) and flying out of the US (and clearing customs) probably comes into play, as far as ease and speed of travel if Hamonic needed to suddenly fly home from his NHL city.  So that might explain why he's only looking at Canadian teams.

As for why Vancouver and not Toronto, if we're looking at flights to Winnipeg, it's the tail wind from the jet stream, making both Vancouver-Winnipeg and Toronto-Winnipeg both roughly 2 hour and 40 minutes.  So pretty much equal flight times, even though Toronto is much closer. However, one flight is leaving Pearson, universally ranked as the worst airport in Canada for many years, while the other leaves YVR, often ranked the best airport on the entire continent (and certainly the best in Canada). So that might explain Vancouver being on the list.

Or Hamonic just hates Toronto. ;)

But if his choice of potential trade destinations is based on his ability to get home from those cities quickly and easily, the list actually makes sense IMO.

That said, if being close to home is, in fact, the main critereon, it's obvious the other three teams would have an edge over the Canucks.

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

They aren't sure they can resign him to the money he wants. We will be able to after this year. There were rumours they were willing to deal him the last few months. If we can give them an extra body like Highins then do it.

If it means we need to retain salary this year...who cares?!?

Heck, if we can't get Okposo then I'd be willing to take Bailey for a lesser price, to ease their cap concerns. 

Ultimately, this is about building from the ground up. We could run out the season with a Barrie, Hamonic, Hutton, Sbisa, Bart, Weber (plus actualizing on Hamhuis) D just fine. We won't be worse off and would have more dimensions. 

Time to get crazy with the Cheez Whiz. 

0a286380dee8add2e2b3516fe2b5d5cc3fe48023

Archived