The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic on the trading block

21 minutes ago, theminister said:

Do we want to? No. 

Do we want to get different? Yes.

Would Hamonic make us a better team? Maybe. 

The the biggest question is chemistry/cohesion. Tanev is good for many teams...ours? I'm not so sure. 

We need some change for sure, but I'm not so sure Tanev should be part of that change. He's one of the most underrated shutdown D in the league IMO. He's been one of the bright spots on the team for the last few years.

No guarantees Hamonic would be a better fit here than Tanev. And you have to ask how much his family situation is going to weigh on his mind, and if it's going to affect his play.

1 hour ago, theminister said:

They aren't sure they can resign him to the money he wants. We will be able to after this year. There were rumours they were willing to deal him the last few months. If we can give them an extra body like Higgins then do it.

If it means we need to retain salary this year...who cares?!?

Heck, if we can't get Okposo then I'd be willing to take Bailey for a lesser price, to ease their cap concerns. 

Ultimately, this is about building from the ground up. We could run out the season with a Barrie, Hamonic, Hutton, Sbisa, Bart, Weber (plus actualizing on Hamhuis) D just fine. We won't be worse off and would have more dimensions. 

Time to get crazy with the Cheez Whiz. 

I'd be up for that, the only thing is I don't see them moving Okposo without a first line RW replacement.  If Vbrata doesn't resign, they'd be left with bailey and Ho Sang next year.  I think they would be much smarter moving Hamonic for a first line RW like Eberle and then using Okposo in a separate deal as a D replacement.  But getting Okposo, Hamonic and Barrie would dramatically change our line up for the better.

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hamonic is pretty good in his own zone. Only one our team that could be better in his own zone is Tanev but that can be argued.

Hamonic is a big(and important) minute eating 2/3 physical shutdown defenseman.

He would definitely help our defense core if we added him.

If you want to compare him to anyone then look no further than Boychuk. He isn't anything like Edler IMO.

Boychuk and Hamonic are two completely different players. Boychuk is more of an offensive minded player, who carries the offense on the backend. Hamonic is a steady shutdown guy, who can chip-in on the rare occasion. The only similarity they have, is that they both play big minutes, but for different reasons.

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

He's solid in his role as AHL veteran goalie but he's 28 years old and playing in the AHL. At most he's an "ok", NHL level backup. My point is he isn't a piece another team would view as a major target with the potential to be a #1.

Guys like Markstrom and Demko have that potential. Bachman while a solid AHL starter and ok NHL callup up/back up, does not.

I see someone like Bachman as a "sweetner" in a deal for Hamonic.

Tim Thomas was an "older" goaltender too.. And played outstanding in his prime.. Albiet at a later age.

some prime early and fizzle late..

some fizzle early and prime later.

1 hour ago, gizmo2337 said:

I'm predicting that Hamonic and the Isles management will make a public statement soon, that they intend to play out the season and resolve it in the off-season. Unexpectedly....the next day a deal will be announced. You heard it here first :)

They just said that on NBC Sports. He might be dealt in off season if no good deals come by.

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Offer Tanev + Jensen or another similar prospect for Hamonic. Should get it done.

If WPG is offering Tyler Myers Canucks aren't getting Hamonic. I doubt WPG is offering Myers though as he's young and on a great contract as well, his salary is significantly lower than his cap hit going forward.  There is no freakin way WPG give up Trouba so please lets stop the Trouba talk as its a non starter. 

I don't know, Trouba has struggled this year. 3 pts in 20 games, playing less than 20 minutes a night. That's a regression from his first two years. Add in that he's been a tad injury prone, and I wouldn't rule out the Jets moving them. Hamonic plays big, shutdown minutes and I believe has the best corsi on the team (if you buy into that stuff). He's got a great contract for four more years and he's a character guy. 

Not saying it would be 1-for-1, but it would not surprise me if Hamonic is better than Trouba over the next four seasons. 

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Boychuk and Hamonic are two completely different players. Boychuk is more of an offensive minded player, who carries the offense on the backend. Hamonic is a steady shutdown guy, who can chip-in on the rare occasion. The only similarity they have, is that they both play big minutes, but for different reasons.

Both are consistent physically. Both can clear the crease. Both play a big game. Both block a lot of shots.

Both are fairly good defensively and bring a physical presence.

Boychuk has gotten better offensively with the Isles. Boychuck was already good defensively and bring a physical presence and Hamonic shares those qualities. 

I think the Isles will want a top-4 Defenceman and a 1st/good prospect/ 2nd (with right player) to make it happen. 

Looking at the Canucks, Edler and Hamhuis are no goes, because of their NTCs. Hutton would be interesting, but I can't see the Isles being 100% sold on him, nor the Canucks moving him. Bartkowski and Weber, I said top-4 guys, not spare parts. 

So that leaves us with Sbisa or Tanev. I think with both you're going to need something added to the deal to make it work. My guess is something like Tanev and a 2nd or Sbisa and a 1st to get it done - with the latter being a Benning type deal. anything to land his guy. 

13 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

So that leaves us with Sbisa or Tanev. I think with both you're going to need something added to the deal to make it work. My guess is something like Tanev and a 2nd or Sbisa and a 1st to get it done - with the latter being a Benning type deal. anything to land his guy. 

The Isles won't want Sbisa. You know, because he's terrible. They want an NHL top 4 defenseman back, not Jeff Finger 2.0

8 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Welp.. Vancouver doesn't appear to be one of the teams to inquire for Hamonic.

EDM, CGY, WPG, MIN, and COL are the only teams pursuing Hamonic.

TSN said that's who they "believe" has inquired about him. Just speculation.

They also said it's early in talks and more teams will likely join in.

1 hour ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

Hamhuis vey vrbata. Bam.

Travis Hamonic is 25 years old and as such, if he ever were to become a Canuck, his age would make him a bridge player.

Don't get me wrong.  The Canucks would love to have a guy like Hamonic on the team.  But his age sets him apart from the rebuilt core of the team and he is spot on what they need for right now.  The oldest player in the rebuild block in reality is Bo Horvat.

Having said that, how could the Canucks possibly provide the Islanders with what they would want for Hamonic?  Surely they want a defender coming back as a base line to trade talks.

• Tanev +  We know exactly what we have with Tanev which is a damn fine shutdown #2 defenseman.  Hamonic may be an upgrade but I would question if he were worth Tanev and a blue chip prospect.  Boeser?  McCann?  C'mon.
  • Hutton......stop.....Hutton and anything would be too rich because it would be Hutton and Horvat at this stage in Hutton's career and do the Isles really need Horvat anyways.

I tend to agree with Ferraro, Edmonton probably wants him the most of the western Canadian teams and Winnipeg probably has the assets that it would take to get a deal done.  So it's probably going to be one of those 2 cities.  Or Minny.

Archived