The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic on the trading block

4 minutes ago, theminister said:

If that list includes any current D aside from Hutton, and no Sedins, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser....get it done. We can cope.

Barrie, + (Bigras, Siemens) for Edler +

Tanev, Vrbata, Higgins, + (Baer, Shink, ?) for Hamomic, Okposo

Move Hamhuis for recoup costs, the +s  

Would this leave us a bit weak on the left side? Sure...but just for the time being, and I don't care. It's the type of path we need to take. And we need to jump on it when it's available, since it often isn't. 

shrank your post a bit. your no trades are pretty accurate overall..

This is where I think these deals for us would be likely deadline related or in the offseason... Hamhuis and Vrbata being rentals may not be enticing to Col or even NYI... NTC are fickle things and are more convincing if the team is bad at the deadline.

Also don't like the LHD depth... too much robbing of Peter there. I'm sure there are better trade proposals to get this done lol.

Likely at the expense of forward depth..

13 minutes ago, firestorm238 said:

Do we know for a fact that his family is still in Manitoba? 

They definitely are. Go to numerous Jets games, and he always has lots of family in the stands at the games

Second, St. Malo is 25 minute drive from where I live and I drive through there often for work. Family is still in the area.

3 hours ago, Zerox said:

Rumor has it that It is tyler myers or chris tanev right now. And jets have the inside track now.

Hamonic can play on pp. Tanev does not. 

Zerox reported this earlier today if true we could muster the players to work a deal knowing JB mindset he will pull all stops reasonably needed to do a deal to improve the club. there a are alot of viable ones in this thread already.I hope we are in running . Toronto tsn media types probably know this an not reporting .let it snow let it snow in Vancouver we need this sooner than later once in a long while something like this shows up on the door don t walk away keep open minds too improvement

20 minutes ago, Monty said:

They definitely are. Go to numerous Jets games, and he always has lots of family in the stands at the games

Second, St. Malo is 25 minute drive from where I live and I drive through there often for work. Family is still in the area.

For you guys, I'm not sure how that deal would work for you...and the Isles. I've read your other posts but it would need to be a deal where you can both compete now.

Naturally, the Jets would be a great fit for him personally but you just got Myers so I think he stays. Toby won't do it, and  Trouba should be untouchable...he is Shea Weber. Losing Buff would be a major hit and change the look of the team. Less minors, sure, but less dynamism too. Plus I think you'd have to give up more since he's a FA...and we are taking one of your great crop of prospects, at the high end. Chevy could do it, clearly, but would you be better this year? Different, for sure. Better? Maybe not. 

Just looked at Tanev vs Hamonic statistics:

Tanev:
2014/2015 --- 70 games --- 2G/18A/20P --- 8 +/-
2015/2016 --- 19 games --- 1G/3A/4P --- 6 +/-

Hamonic:
2014/2015 --- 71 games --- 5G/28A/33P --- 15 +/-
2015/2016 --- 19 games --- 0G/3A/3P --- 5 +/-

not too far off from each other considering NYI is a much better team than us.

2 minutes ago, goblix said:

Just looked at Tanev vs Hamonic statistics:

Tanev:
2014/2015 --- 70 games --- 2G/18A/20P --- 8 +/-
2015/2016 --- 19 games --- 1G/3A/4P --- 6 +/-

Hamonic:
2014/2015 --- 71 games --- 5G/28A/33P --- 15 +/-
2015/2016 --- 19 games --- 0G/3A/3P --- 5 +/-

not too far off from each other considering NYI is a much better team than us.

Differnt players who do different things very well in their own right. 

Only some show up on traditional stats. 

Tanev has never laid a hit that anyone ever noticed...ever. He us better at decision making though. Does it all equal out? Different opinions about the dynamic of hockey. I'd take Hanonic. 

13 minutes ago, theminister said:

For you guys, I'm not sure how that deal would work for you...and the Isles. I've read your other posts but it would need to be a deal where you can both compete now.

Naturally, the Jets would be a great fit for him personally but you just got Myers so I think he stays. Toby won't do it, and  Trouba should be untouchable...he is Shea Weber. Losing Buff would be a major hit and change the look of the team. Less minors, sure, but less dynamism too. Plus I think you'd have to give up more since he's a FA...and we are taking one of your great crop of prospects, at the high end. Chevy could do it, clearly, but would you be better this year? Different, for sure. Better? Maybe not. 

Thing is, if the Jets have to give up Buff, it definitely doesn't help in the short term, but it helps long term, because that just means Buff wasn't re-signing anyway. And giving up a prospect, if need be in that trade, would not hurt the Jets at all, as they have one of the deepest prospect pools in the entire league.

The preference would be Myers, if the Jets can extend Buff. Either way, this is a trade the Jets can't really afford to lose out on. Guy wants to get traded and Winnipeg is at the top of his list. Gotta make it work.

Just now, theminister said:

Differnt players who do different things very well in their own right. 

Only some show up on traditional stats. 

Tanev has never laid a hit that anyone ever noticed...ever. He us better at decision making though. Does it all equal out? Different opinions about the dynamic of hockey. I'd take Hanonic. 

Exactly it's all interesting, my point of view if it's Tanev <--> Hamonic then sure... if it's Tanev + then probably not.... That said I don't think it's that much of an upgrade that everyone here seems to think it is...

Offer Tanev + Jensen or another similar prospect for Hamonic. Should get it done.

If WPG is offering Tyler Myers Canucks aren't getting Hamonic. I doubt WPG is offering Myers though as he's young and on a great contract as well, his salary is significantly lower than his cap hit going forward.  There is no freakin way WPG give up Trouba so please lets stop the Trouba talk as its a non starter. 

Do we really wanna trade Tanev? He's been a warrior for us.

Ideally I would wanna see Hamonic play with Tanev, but I guess that doesn't leave us many trading chips that they would want.

A Hutton-Hamonic pairing would be a great duo to start rebuilding around though.

14 minutes ago, Monty said:

Thing is, if the Jets have to give up Buff, it definitely doesn't help in the short term, but it helps long term, because that just means Buff wasn't re-signing anyway. And giving up a prospect, if need be in that trade, would not hurt the Jets at all, as they have one of the deepest prospect pools in the entire league.

The preference would be Myers, if the Jets can extend Buff. Either way, this is a trade the Jets can't really afford to lose out on. Guy wants to get traded and Winnipeg is at the top of his list. Gotta make it work.

I agree with all of that. I've been one of Chevy's biggest supporters. Other people may not see what the organization is doing but I do. They are killing the restocking effort. 

If the Jets management is willing to rage another step back to build for the future, albeit very soon, then it could happen. They may be wrong to stay the course though. After last year's trade I think they don't have enough info yet...especially since they aren't getting better at forward quickly. The D is fine, especially if you believe in Morrissey (I don't), but your forward prospects should be the envy of the league. 

So...if Buff goes...its a bit of an admission that there will be less competitiveness this season...especially compared to the long term goals. If I was a Jets fan I'd be ok with that, because of the upward momentum, but as management I would be aware of the optics. The Jets should he ready to push, not take a step back. The team is good. 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Do we really wanna trade Tanev? He's been a warrior for us.

Ideally I would wanna see Hamonic play with Tanev, but I guess that doesn't leave us many trading chips that they would want.

A Hutton-Hamonic pairing would be a great duo to start rebuilding around though.

Do we want to? No. 

Do we want to get different? Yes.

Would Hamonic make us a better team? Maybe. 

The the biggest question is chemistry/cohesion. Tanev is good for many teams...ours? I'm not so sure. 

I'm not so sure how Hamonic would fix our problems on defense. He's not a puck moving defensemen, who can help us get out of the D-zone quicker. He's not going to help our PP, as he's rarely used on the man advantage. He has a great shot, but like the rest of our defensive group, he doesn't hit the net. He's known to take unnecessary penalties. He's pretty much an Edler clone, with less offensive punch.

Just now, shiznak said:

I'm not so sure how Hamonic would fix our problems on defense. He's not a puck moving defensemen, who can help us get out of the D-zone quicker. He's not going to help our PP, as he's rarely used on the man advantage. He has a great shot, but like the rest of our defensive group, he doesn't hit the net. He's known to take unnecessary penalties. He's pretty much an Edler clone, with less offensive punch.

Hamonic is pretty good in his own zone. Only one our team that could be better in his own zone is Tanev but that can be argued.

Hamonic is a big(and important) minute eating 2/3 physical shutdown defenseman.

He would definitely help our defense core if we added him.

If you want to compare him to anyone then look no further than Boychuk. He isn't anything like Edler IMO.

Archived