The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I like Alex Biega as a permanent 5-6

*Buzzsaw*

I think there have been enough games to show what Alex Biega is capable of.

In my mind this guy, while obviously on the small side, has shown he is capable of playing in this league as a member of the 5-6 defensive pairing.

He plays a lot tougher than his weight, he plays his position, he doesn't get caught out very often, and lately he has begun to show some offensive flare... he has been in on a couple goals, he has been carrying the puck up the ice and breaking out of his zone, jumping up on the rush much more than he did to start.

I prefer him to Yannick Weber, he doesn't show Weber's tendency to give the puck away or panic in pressure situations.

When Sbisa and Hamhuis come back, I think WD should give Alex a chance to stay in the role he has earned or at least be the guy who is the spare in preference to Weber.

I'm happy with Biega as a 1st AHL defenceman/7th NHL defenceman, but he's been one of our best so far and a big reason our defence is finally holding up now.

Next season if we can somehow acquire 1 top-4 defenceman to replace Hamhuis, another one via UFA/trade, keep Bartkowski as #6 then I'm happy with Biega at #7.

Me too. Very solid D-man. Makes up for his smaller size in tenacity. With the absence of Sbisa, he's really our only fiesty player on the back end.

Was impressed with him last season during his call up. Is very good positionally and makes great reads. He does everything slightly better than average, which is what you look for in a guy like that to be able to eat up 5th or 6th man minutes without worrying.

I agree. This team needs a defender who can do the basic things well at 5 and 6 position. Bartkowski can skate the puck and Weber can attack (once in the offensive zone) better than Biega but I would like a solid defensive defenceman for the third pairing. 

Agree 100%. He kinda reminds me of Tanev with a lower potential ceiling. Very smart defensively, usually in good position, not a lot of offensive flash but he's a consistent player. Weber and Bartkowski both have edges in specific areas over Biega (offensive presence and skating ability) but Biega has the best all around game of the three.

23 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm happy with Biega as a 1st AHL defenceman/7th NHL defenceman, but he's been one of our best so far and a big reason our defence is finally holding up now.

Next season if we can somehow acquire 1 top-4 defenceman to replace Hamhuis, another one via UFA/trade, keep Bartkowski as #6 then I'm happy with Biega at #7.

What do you think about signing BIG BUFF?

Archived