The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Re-sign D Alex Biega

elvis15

2 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

So does this make him our 7th/8th defenceman for next year?

I can only assume we move away from Weber, or Weber becomes our 8th D. Then again, if we find another upgrade for the right side, Biega could still be pushed down the depth chart.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sorry bud calling BS on this

If ti didn't come from Vintage it isn't true.

Can we get some confirmation from an insider please?

I think neither of Eklund and @HockeyyInsiderr called it, so it must be true.

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

What you see is what you get.

Yeah, I don't see much further he can improve. Maybe a little more offence and slightly steadier on D, but he's not going to develop significantly from here I'd guess.

Yeah, I didn't think he'd want to go back to the possibility of significant time in the AHL at a reduced salary. He'll save a pretty penny knowing he might be around a little shorter career than the top guys, but hopefully he can stick.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I can only assume we move away from Weber, or Weber becomes our 8th D. Then again, if we find another upgrade for the right side, Biega could still be pushed down the depth chart.

I think neither of Eklund and @HockeyyInsiderr called it, so it must be true.

Yeah, I don't see much further he can improve. Maybe a little more offence and slightly steadier on D, but he's not going to develop significantly from here I'd guess.

I don't see how Weber would be resigned after this season. I'll be surprised if he gets on any NHL roster for that matter. 

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Bye Bye Weber!

Presumably.  Let's hope Biega doesn't end up replacing Weber if the hearts of CDC posters (ie let's hope the Weber hate never transfers over to Biega.)  It's nice to see Biega's hard work pay off.

14 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

So does this make him our 7th/8th defenceman for next year?

Imo somewhere from 6th to 8th before injuries, which is what fits the contract he signed.

It's a good contract for both sides imo.  Biega gets his 1-way and the team signs a responsible depth defenceman who plays the way the team wants and will try to do what is necessary, be it taking on bigger players physically, being hard on the puck and making smart plays.  

In the event he has a down season next season, his salary can be buried without the Canucks having to absorb some of the cap hit.

Archived