The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No one talks about Columbus's 2016-2nd Rounder(Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Hi Everyone!

I just don't see a lot of chatter about Columbus's 2016-2nd rounder. I honestly think it would be a very good idea to go out and secure it. By my estimations, it will be a 31st or 32nd OA pick.........so it has good value. I would be the first to agree that Columbus will not give it up without asking for something good in return.

The question is what would it cost to get it this year?

There are some very good players that may be available around pick. I would give up Cassels or a 3rd to secure it. Would that be too much?

What is your suggestion?

And on a secondary note.................I hope that Benning gets rid of Vrbata for a 2nd and maybe a 3rd this year...............I think what is understated with draft picks, is the interest people take in watching them grow, and the excitement around the ones that actually pan out, even the ones that don't create hockey discussion around the coffee machine, so I hope Benning moves him. I think he is valuable enough to warrant the risk for other teams to take that risk!

Any thought on these items?

Hey and for what it worth, have a great weekend! Cheers!

Actually Jan we ALL are in multiple threads.

But as it is anywhere between this and the next 2 drafts, and the Jackets could be drafting 1st/31st this year it's a moot point until they make a decision which could literally be any time between tomorrow and the draft

I wouldnt be surprised if we never get it. Wouldn't be the first time NHL retroactively screwed us over. New Jersey never ended up getting fined that pick in the Kovy circumvention contract and NHL abandoned the coaching draft pick rule right after Torts was hired. They clearly weren't giddy about us getting a 2nd rounder for Torts.

Above isnt completely serious but you really never know with the league and this team. I'd feel a lot better if we got the pick now and not in 2 years. Why the hell would Columbus not defer the pick 2 years? Whoever made this optional deferral part of the rule was smoking crack.

10 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

I wouldnt be surprised if we never get it. Wouldn't be the first time NHL retroactively screwed us over. New Jersey never ended up getting fined that pick in the Kovy circumvention contract and NHL abandoned the coaching draft pick rule right after Torts was hired. They clearly weren't giddy about us getting a 2nd rounder for Torts.

Above isnt completely serious but you really never know with the league and this team. I'd feel a lot better if we got the pick now and not in 2 years. Why the hell would Columbus not defer the pick 2 years? Whoever made this optional deferral part of the rule was smoking crack.

I'd gladly let the league give it back to them if they botch the Luongo cap recapture rule for us when what &^@#s of for 5 mill over 2 yrs. 

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i agree that we will not be seeing that pick this year

so there is nothing really to talk about yet

Hey guys, I don't think you are reading my question properly.....................

I am asking what would it take to get it this year?

I hope I can word this right, but I will try....................we already know at this point, that Columbus will be giving us a 2nd in 2016, 2017 or 2018...........so we are getting a second.... that!...... we know!.

But to secure it for 2016................we will basically need to offer Columbus something that makes it worth while to give it to us this year...............I proposed Cassel or a 2017-3rd, not both

Is that enough or too much.............what is the value of the compensation to get it this year?

i don't understand your logic here... Are you giving away assets to incentivize CBJ in releasing their second round pick that they owe us within the next 3 years??? 

or are you just trying to trade for CBJ's second round pick?? 

I'm guessing the scenario your looking at is saying here take Cole of our hands but make the 2nd you owe us be for this year ...

overall this is just silly... why bother give up valuable assets to potentially get a good pick 2nd vs just getting a free asset in the future

12 minutes ago, goblix said:

i don't understand your logic here... Are you giving away assets to incentivize CBJ in releasing their second round pick that they owe us within the next 3 years??? YES

or are you just trying to trade for CBJ's second round pick?? 

I'm guessing the scenario your looking at is saying here take Cole of our hands but make the 2nd you owe us be for this year ...

overall this is just silly... why bother give up valuable assets to potentially get a good pick 2nd vs just getting a free asset in the future

Well, here is why I do not think it is so silly.............

2016 strong draft year

2017 weak draft year

Columbus 2016.........29th or 30th

Columbus 2017 or 2018 unknown

"IF" they get 1st overall..........Austin Matthews..........how does that effect their club?...........  IF they move up 10 spots because being a maturing team, AM, and a maturing Seth Jones

There are "IF's" in my theory ................but please consider it....................and will Cassels or a 3rd ever have the same chance

Frankly, with so many Dmen in the draft..............we should really be trying to capitalize on this draft

IF we have 10th OA + 32nd OA + 40th OA and we don't have to trade any roster players, that would be o with me

Add to that what Vrbata might bring back if Benning comes to his senses , and we could have another late second this year, and maybe a late 3rd as well.............

Again, I realize it is pie in the sky and a lot if "IF's", but with Sutter and Edler going down, it might be the only way we could capitalize on this draft, and increase our chances of picking a plum Dman out of the pie.

Aka "Giving away assets"

US Canucks fans have rose colored glasses on most of the time, and value our assets as all top end........

Albeit his first year, Cole has shown his lack of speed at the AHL level, and was only slated, even on these boards as a 4th liner, 3rd liner at very best............if he ever makes the NHL...........I could be wrong but that is the way I see him!

3rd and 4th liners are easy to draft or trade for and we actually have a lot that will be pushing for that jobs................IMO, Cole is not a valuable asset....but is a good bargaining chip, same as the 2017 third.

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Aka "Giving away assets"

US Canucks fans have rose colored glasses on most of the time, and value our assets as all top end........

Albeit his first year, Cole has shown his lack of speed at the AHL level, and was only slated, even on these boards as a 4th liner, 3rd liner at very best............if he ever makes the NHL...........I could be wrong but that is the way I see him!

3rd and 4th liners are easy to draft or trade for and we actually have a lot that will be pushing for that jobs................IMO, Cole is not a valuable asset....but is a good bargaining chip, same as the 2017 third.

Cole has missed 2 consecutive summers of training, due to mono and rehabbing an abdominal injury. It shouldn't be a surprise that he's a step behind. But his AHL stats are still better than Horvat's!

He needs a solid off-season of training just to catch up, then probably another one to distinguish himself from the pack.

I wouldn't be interested in giving much, but something like Fox + Labate + 6th for them to give it this year would be good.

There a few defencemen ranked in that general area that I'd be interested in: Niemelainen, Klague, Hajek, McAvoy. Would also allow us to go a little off the board with our own pick (~38) and take Raddysh if we wanted to.

So you want to trade for their pick this year, and they we get it again in 17 or 18 due to signing Torts.

They probably want their pick this year......even more so since they will lose a second.

Losing 2 seconds over 3 years for a horrible team, isn't a great plan

17 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

So you want to trade for their pick this year, and they we get it again in 17 or 18 due to signing Torts.

They probably want their pick this year......even more so since they will lose a second.

Losing 2 seconds over 3 years for a horrible team, isn't a great plan

look, Vancouver has been compensated with Columbus's 2nd round pick in either 2016, 2017, or 2018

I would like to have Columbus give us our compensation pick this year...2016

I think we will have to give Columbus something so they will give it to us this year, otherwise they won't...IMO

The pick is a very high pick....31 or 32 OA..........it might not be that high in 2017 or 2018.......

So because of the position of that pick and the depth of this draft........I want it now! Now, Now!

That is what I am saying..............I think it is pretty clear

Lets see what kind of interest the trade deadline generates....who knows maybe we could be getting a few more 2nd rounds, hopefully another first. 

The idea makes sense and is creative, but so far 2017 could be a deep draft, a bit early to tell. I hope we can get a steal out of this pick. Torts has already given us Virtanen :)

Archived