The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Montreal to Ban Plastic Bags & Hamburg Just Banned Coffee Pods

TOMapleLaughs

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/denis-coderre-plastic-bag-ban-future-montreal-1.3458240

Montreal to ban plastic shopping bags as of 2018

Ban applies to lightweight plastic shopping bags as well as bags that are biodegradable

Mayor Denis Coderre has announced the city is banning single-use plastic bags as of Jan. 1, 2018.

Key things to know about Montreal's possible plastic bag ban

Montreal urged to ban plastic shopping bags by 2018

"You will understand that our plan is the result of extensive analysis and thoughtful reflection," Coderre said.

"Lightweight bags, which are used by the billions, are volatile and represent a clear environmental concern." 

The city is intentionally giving consumers, as well as the retail industry, nearly two years to adjust before the ban kicks in.

The ban applies to lightweight plastic shopping bags, specifically ones that are less than 50 microns (or 0.05 millimetres) thick, as well as bags that are oxo-degradable, oxo-fragmentable, oxo-biodegradable and biodegradable.

Certain bags are exempt from the ban for hygienic reasons, such as small plastic bags used for fresh vegetables or medication.

Ban follows environmental committee recommendations

Coderre's announcement comes after the city's environmental committee recommended banning the bags in December.

The 12 recommendations by the commission included:

That city council ban plastic bags starting on Apr. 22, 2018, in favour of reusable or recyclable bags.

That exceptions be made for hygienic bags used to handle food, carry medication and dry cleaning.

That the City of Montreal work with the Quebec government to establish industrial norms to ensure new bags are recyclable.

A communication plan to prepare residents and businesses for the transition.

Encourage the reduction of plastic water bottles, single-use plates and utensils.

The idea to ban plastic bags was first put forward by Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre a little more than a year ago.

The bio-degradable bag ban is interesting.  Apparently not as good for the environment as we thought. 

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/23/news/coffee-pods-banned/

Sorry, Nespresso and K-Cup lovers.

The German city of Hamburg has banned coffee pods from government-run buildings. In an attempt to become more environmentally friendly, the city said it will no longer spend taxpayer money on products that don't meet its high sustainability standards.

Coffee capsules, like those sold by the Nestle (NSRGY), Keurig (GMCR) and other brands, are specifically mentioned in the city's new guidelines, because they create unnecessary waste and contain aluminum. A spokesman for the city said the pods contain 3 grams of waste for every 6 grams of coffee.

But the list of prohibited items goes far beyond coffee. It includes plastic cutlery and plates, water, beer, and soft drinks in disposable packaging, as well as certain cleaning products and even wall paints.

"The city can help ensure that environmentally harmful products are purchased less frequently and that sustainable products achieve even greater acceptance in the market. Our objective is to increase the share of environmentally friendly products significantly in order to help combat climate change," said Hamburg senator Jens Kerstan.

Capsule coffee machines have become increasingly popular in recent years, thanks to the convenience they offer. Euromonitor said pods have seen "colossal growth" and remain the major growth driver in the U.S. coffee market.

The National Coffee Association estimates more than quarter of U.S. households now own pod coffee makers.

But critics of the capsule coffee trend point out the pods are extremely difficult to recycle. They combine different materials, including plastic and aluminum, which can't be easily split from each other. Separating materials is crucial in the recycling process.

Some of the most popular brands behind coffee pods -- Keurig in the U.S. and Nespresso in Europe -- offer recycling options that include pick-up and drop-off service for used pods, but they don't release figures about the amount of pods that end up in landfills.

They also offer recyclable varieties of their pods, provided users are willing to do their part and separate the metal portion of the pods from the rest before recycling.

Keurig has promised to make all K-Cups recyclable, but only by 2020. "It's a very complex challenge ... the pods must keep coffee fresh before brewing, withstand the heat and pressure during brewing, and be easily punctured with a needle as part of the brewing process," the company said on its website.

Good.  On our current plastic path there will be more plastic than fish in the ocean by 2050.  Meanwhile, there are massive cleanup efforts going starting up to rid the ocean of it's current plastic.

How long until Vancouver and the rest of the world's cities follow these pro-environmental actions?  

10 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Many stores make you pay for plastic or don't have any at all.

Pretty sure thrifties gives you a discount if you bring reusable bags.

I like the idea of an incentive. Personally I have the reusable bags I just always forget them!  Keep telling myself We need to get better. 

Time to start shaming people who use disposable coffee pods.  Well, time for everyone else to start, I've been doing it all along.  It is important to acknowledge the technology is fine, if it is strictly reusable pods, or if an alternative environmentally friendly system is invented.

tumblr_nxjimeKJt91rw5xffo1_500.gif

6 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/denis-coderre-plastic-bag-ban-future-montreal-1.3458240

The bio-degradable bag ban is interesting.  Apparently not as good for the environment as we thought. 

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/23/news/coffee-pods-banned/

Good.  On our current plastic path there will be more plastic than fish in the ocean by 2050.  Meanwhile, there are massive cleanup efforts going starting up to rid the ocean of it's current plastic.

How long until Vancouver and the rest of the world's cities follow these pro-environmental actions?  

In Armstrong, they are starting to switch to paper bags already.  

As far as plastic - reminds me of:

Lightweight plastic bags have been banned in Seattle and surrounding areas for some time now. Before they were banned, I used them as garbage bags, and they were free including paper bags.  Now stores charge 5 cents for paper bags and 20 cents for the thick plastic bags.  I call it an "opportunity" for stores to make more money. I am environment friendly, but I am friendly in my own ways.  I recycle, donate, have second uses for things, etc.  I do it because I want to, not because I have to, but I don't appreciate the city stepping in, banning plastic bags, and telling me how I should and how to recycle and compost.

1 minute ago, brilac said:

Lightweight plastic bags have been banned in Seattle and surrounding areas for some time now. Before they were banned, I used them as garbage bags, and they were free including paper bags.  Now stores charge 5 cents for paper bags and 20 cents for the thick plastic bags.  I call it an "opportunity" for stores to make more money. I am environment friendly, but I am friendly in my own ways.  I recycle, donate, have second uses for things, etc.  I do it because I want to, not because I have to, but I don't appreciate the city stepping in, banning plastic bags, and telling me how I should and how to recycle and compost.

lol

16 hours ago, Chalky said:

Time to start shaming people who use disposable coffee pods.  Well, time for everyone else to start, I've been doing it all along.  It is important to acknowledge the technology is fine, if it is strictly reusable pods, or if an alternative environmentally friendly system is invented.

For quite a while we had wanted a single cup coffee maker because we were wasting half a pot of coffee every day. I had always held off buying one because I don't like those wasteful pods.

This Christmas I bought a combination machine that makes a full pot on one side and a single cup on the other. It takes the pods, but there's also a small, reusable filter that you can put ground coffee in. Works great.

Archived