The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yan-Pavel Laplante | LW/C

stonecoldstevebernier

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I have a feeling Utica fans are gonna love him.

He should fit in great on a line with Banks and Hamilton. Great work ethic.

those two have been great mentors so far.  Laplante's game looks like it would fit well with them.

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It still baffles me that Gillis used a 2nd round pick to draft Mallet.

Laplante is basically Mallet with better skating, work ethic, and two-way play.

Gillis drafted pretty poorly during his tenure as Canuck GM. more misses than hits 

It is just possible that JB has unearthed another gem in this guy. He has had injuries and it remains to be seen how much they held him back but one look at his progress during 2015-16 for Gatineau Olympiques where he went from 17 in 30 to 65 in 63 shows he could be a sleeper.

Kevin McGran : Toronto Star.

"Yan Pavel Laplante of the P.E.I. Rocket could well be this year’s Henrik Zetterberg or Jamie Benn — a mid-to-late-round NHL draft pick whose career output surpasses the expectations of a modest draft position.

Despite a pre-season injury that limited him to 18 regular-season games in the QMJHL, Laplante went from unranked at mid-season to 50th among North American skaters. That could see him as an early third-round pick depending on how many Europeans and goalies go in the first two rounds and how teams feel about his shoulder.

Zetterberg was a seventh-round selection (210th overall) by Detroit in 1999 and Benn was taken by Dallas in the fifth round (129th overall) in 2007.

“It feels good to see that (ranking) after missing so much of the year with (shoulder) surgery,” said Laplante on Tuesday in the middle of a spate of interviews during the NHL draft combine. “But I’m not thinking about it. I was just waiting. I was just playing my game.”

Laplante has a stellar reputation — he might have been ranked among the top 20 if he hadn’t missed most of the year due to that torn labrum."

I like the look of this youngster, he has fought back twice from injury and still doesn't hold back from the tough areas or dropping the gloves. The fact that Benning signed him can only be good, knowing as we do just how much of a Scouting Maestro he is and the massive mental database he carries about with him.

But Utica first and I hope he makes them all forget about Shink next season.

On 17 May 2016 at 7:46 PM, Alflives said:

I guess it what one defines as "productive NHL player"?  For us to be collecting guys who get us further from top picks is not a good thing.  We should be signing older UFAs, like the Leafs did, and then trading them at the TDL for picks.  Getting these 21 to 27 year old average (at best) NHLers is only going to hurt us.  These are spots for either older UFA's or our young good prospects.  Huge mistake by JB.  

When did you wake up to find you were JB?

You have no idea what his ceiling is. He went from 0-50th best N. American skater in half a season. You do realise HALF the big names in the League are 3rd round or lower and La Plante may well have gone a lot higher than 63rd if he hadn't had injuries.

He's not a 21 -27 year old, he's 21. He could be a talent in the NHL by the time he is 24 and you and I have no idea whether that will be the case or not. You continually act like you know more than JB. You are beginning to sound like desi and that's not a good thing.

On 10 June 2016 at 7:58 AM, DeNiro said:

It still baffles me that Gillis used a 2nd round pick to draft Mallet.

Laplante is basically Mallet with better skating, work ethic, and two-way play.

Yes you look at that draft and see Damon Severson selected two picks after Mallet and think how good would he look on the Canucks blue line right about now. Certainly what the Canucks need.

Only saving grace is Benning being able to shift out Mallet and turn him into Pedan, alright it cost a bit more but it's better than the dead weight that Mallet proposed.

• 1 month later...
On 2016-05-21 at 5:44 PM, LaBamba said:

Arizona also didn't see him fit for a contract either so don't act like the idea is absolute lunacy.

Those players we pick in 5-7th rounds aren't signed to ELC's either. This guy is a complete waste of a contract. I would much sooner leave the contract space available for players that can play hockey well.

How about a defensemen? 

Holy *%$% that is weak.  I love how you pretend to have a line of reasoning instead of just a non-stop torrent of complaining.

On 2016-08-12 at 9:35 AM, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Holy *%$% that is weak.  I love how you pretend to have a line of reasoning instead of just a non-stop torrent of complaining.

The same could be said about you complaining about me. Why don't you do both of us a favour and ignore me. 

On 2016-08-12 at 9:35 AM, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

On 2016-08-12 at 9:40 AM, LaBamba said:

The same could be said about you complaining about me. Why don't you do both of us a favour and ignore me. 

It must be a slow summer for hockey if you two a (seriously?) arguing over a player NO ONE has ever heard of and never will.  :lol::lol::lol:

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

But then how would I stay informed about how misguided the Canucks are?  Surely you could stand to remind us in every single thread.  Just how silly was it to sign a free agent for our farm team?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It must be a slow summer for hockey if you two a (seriously?) arguing over a player NO ONE has ever heard of and never will.  :lol::lol::lol:

All that knowledge of the future must be quite a burden.  If you knew how to read you would understand that I have made no predictions about this player.

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

All that knowledge of the future must be quite a burden.  If you knew how to read you would understand that I have made no predictions about this player.

You sure are a nasty fellow.  "If you learn to read".  Why be insulting?  The thread title is about a player very few fans ever heard of, or ever will.  Is his future really worth insults directed to other posters?    :)  

16 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

But then how would I stay informed about how misguided the Canucks are?  Surely you could stand to remind us in every single thread.  Just how silly was it to sign a free agent for our farm team?

If you want to see how misguided the Canucks are look no further then ALL of your media outlets. Everyone employed or involved with TSN, SN, CBC, ESPN, THN, THW, the score, Provence, SI, global, CNN, BBC, BNN, Bloomberg, Martha Steward living, Ellen, Ancient Aliens, Americas got talent. 

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

If you want to see how misguided the Canucks are look no further then ALL of your media outlets. Everyone employed or involved with TSN, SN, CBC, ESPN, THN, THW, the score, Provence, SI, global, CNN, BBC, BNN, Bloomberg, Martha Steward living, Ellen, Ancient Aliens, Americas got talent. 

I didn't peg you for a guy who would be swayed by that.  I had thought there was a contrarian in there.  Didn't you notice that these people are repeating each other, to curry favour with their employer, and that they aren't particularly familiar with our team?  Doesn't the number of people in on the frenzy take away some of their credibility?

It certainly is ubiquitous though.  "In other news, there has been an attempted coup in Turkey, Benning's a complete joke, and Britain has voted to leave the EU..."

Archived