The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

On 8/2/2016 at 9:20 AM, J.R. said:

On 7/26/2016 at 9:39 PM, keredz said:

A better roster than last year for sure in terms of depth. As a fan my once concern is that there is a lack of Canuck prospects in those forward lines. You really only have Gaunce, Cassels, Zalewski and Grenier. There is a chance Canucks could lose both Zalewski and Grenier on waivers too. 

Hopefully Carcone and Laplante have great camps and can push some of the AHL vets to the pressbox. 

Virtanen might be there as well...perhaps even Burrows.

Borrows will be on the big club regardless IMO, but I think Virtanen in Utica is a real possibility. In fact, I think it might be the best thing for his development.

15 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

Damn. He was one of my favorite broadcasters ever. Super knowledgeable, and he didn't have a stupid fake "radio voice". I'm happy he's getting an NHL job but the comets are losing a good one. 

Should have had top broadcast personalities by franchise

1. Toronto

19. Las Vegas 

31. Vancouver 

Not sure if this has been reported, but it looks like the Comets have lost Brendan Burke to the NYI organization as he has signed on with MSG to be their P-B-P man.  I have listened to a few Comets games and have heard Burke on some interviews from the farm, and he came across as a knowledgable and well-spoken hockey man,  I liked him...sad to see him leave the organization, but happy for him that he's making the leap to the "show".  

Looks to me that Utica is being looked upon very well by the entire professional hockey community -- player development...coaching (sayanora and good luck to Gerard, except when the Flames are playing the Canucks, and most likely the same for Travis Green in the near future)...broadcasting...and who knows, maybe Pat Conacher will move to the NHL as an exec.  

Kudos to Robert Esche, Comet organization and the Canucks organization for building what looks like an NHL-like structure and system in Utica.

http://www.uticacomets.com/news/detail/brendan-burke-named-as-islanders-tv-play-by-play-broadcaster

EDIT: sorry guys and gals...should have read a few posts above.  It has been reported.

Just spit balling...Comets roster could conceivably look like the following (positions for some players are as per www.uticacomets.com/roster):

Centres: Michael Chaput, Joe Labate, Mike Zalewski, Wacey Hamilton, Curits Valk

RW: Alex Grenier, Borna Rendulic, Jayson Megna, Cole Cassels

LW: Brendan Gaunce, Joe Labate, Yan-Pavel Laplante, Michael Carcone, Darren Archibald, Carter Bancks

LD: Andrey Pedan, Ashton Sautner, Chad Billins, Evan McEneny, John Negrin

RD: Jordan Subban, Troy Stetcher, Tom Nillson, Dave Shields  

G: Thatcher Demko, Richard Bachman, Michael Garteig

How many NHL games would a team like this win?  My guess would be about six games.

On another note, has anyone heard any rumblings about the status of Carl Neill? 20 years old, and entering his overage junior season...is he a guy worth signing to an ELC?

51 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

Just spit balling...Comets roster could conceivably look like the following (positions for some players are as per www.uticacomets.com/roster):

Centres: Michael Chaput, Joe Labate, Mike Zalewski, Wacey Hamilton, Curits Valk

RW: Alex Grenier, Borna Rendulic, Jayson Megna, Cole Cassels

LW: Brendan Gaunce, Joe Labate, Yan-Pavel Laplante, Michael Carcone, Darren Archibald, Carter Bancks

LD: Andrey Pedan, Ashton Sautner, Chad Billins, Evan McEneny, John Negrin

RD: Jordan Subban, Troy Stetcher, Tom Nillson, Dave Shields  

G: Thatcher Demko, Richard Bachman, Michael Garteig

How many NHL games would a team like this win?  My guess would be about six games.

On another note, has anyone heard any rumblings about the status of Carl Neill? 20 years old, and entering his overage junior season...is he a guy worth signing to an ELC?

Pedan wont be playing on Utica this year...he wont make it through waivers to go down..if he does I would be amazed...and I dont really want to lose him for nothing...

2 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

Looks like a decent AHL roster though. And that's what league they happen to play in so this should be interesting. 

Utica Comets President Robert Esche announced today that Andy Zilch has been named the play-by-play broadcaster for the team's fourth season in the American Hockey League.

"We are extremely excited to have Andy on board as the voice of the Utica Comets," said Esche. “His energy and enthusiasm as well as his experience in the American Hockey League will be a great addition to our staff. He is a talented broadcaster, and we look forward to the high-caliber listening experience he will bring to our fans.”

Zilch joins the Comets after spending the previous two seasons in the AHL as the Springfield Falcons. Following his first year as the Manager of Broadcasting, he was promoted to run the team’s communications department where he oversaw all community relations, staying consistently active with local schools and youth hockey. In addition, he ran the public relations, website content and was responsible for corporate and ticket sales.

“I am thrilled to be joining such a prestigious organization,” Zilch commented. “The fans in Utica are notorious for filling the Aud and creating a wonderful home ice advantage. Along with the season opener, I am anxiously waiting October 26th to join the atmosphere of Utica Comets hockey.”

Prior to his AHL career, Zilch spent two seasons with the Greenville Road Warriors of the ECHL. Zilch served as the voice of the team, oversaw media relations and served as an account executive. The St. Louis, Missouri native generated several corporate partnerships and was strongly involved in the community. The majority of his donated time was spent assisting the local children's hockey program.

Before his time with the Road Warriors, Zilch served two years in the National Hockey League as a broadcast intern with the St. Louis Blues. He also spent time and a broadcast intern with the National Football League's St. Louis Rams on the St. Louis Rams Radio Network for two seasons.

A 2009 graduate of Lindenwood University, Zilch entered broadcasting as the play-by-play broadcaster for the men's hockey team on KCLC, the student radio station. He has a Bachelor's Degree in Mass Communications with an emphasis on radio and T.V.

On 19/08/2016 at 3:31 AM, ShakyWalton said:

Pedan wont be playing on Utica this year...he wont make it through waivers to go down..if he does I would be amazed...and I dont really want to lose him for nothing...

Would certainly suck to lose him through waivers, but I have a heard time seeing him get regular time on any NHL club. Great size and good mean streak but not quite an NHL calibre d-man.

Archived