The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

5 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

But Benning will probably pick somebody else then we expect... like the last 2 drafts.

We know he has seen a lot of Petterson because he scouted Dahlin hard and with the signing of Jalen kid we know he scouted Vilardi 

he likes his ncaa kids  Boeser, Lockwood, Gaudette so we know he has a read on Mittlestatd 

I bet we pick like 6/7 and draft Petterson bx others are taken

26 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

What about Veleno? Is he a step below?

Obviously it's way too early to know. As of right now though it's Dahlin/Svechnikov/Wise being the elite, and then there's a slight step below in Veleno/Boqvist/Wahlmstrom/Tkachuk.

Jack Wise is the next best American prospect and some scouts suggest he's better than Matthews/Eichel. He's been dubbed the next Jack Eichel so there's a lot of hype to this kid. Also has a cool name

Edited by Odd.

4 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

We know he has seen a lot of Petterson because he scouted Dahlin hard and with the signing of Jalen kid we know he scouted Vilardi 

he likes his ncaa kids  Boeser, Lockwood, Gaudette so we know he has a read on Mittlestatd 

I bet we pick like 6/7 and draft Petterson bx others are taken

Yeah I'm not sure if we can out tank Arizona or New Jersey (who lost again today).  We will likely finish 4th last... lose the lottery... pick 6-7th.  I'd like to see Makar if Mittlestatd is gone.  I have Petterson just out of my top ten.

5 hours ago, Joe_Kerr said:

^^^ to further your guys point. Everyone wants the same players for 1/2 spot... So let's say we pick anywhere from 3-7 what is everyone's top 3-4 forwards and top 2d they would like to draft. With my extensive 5mins of research I'll start with in order

F- Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Tippet (our rw is getting crowded but who doesn't like a pwf game) and Rassumsen is huuuge 

D- Makar, Valimaki, Liljegrin all possible plus some big boys if we wanted more DFD which I don't think Benning does.

After Hischier and Patrick

The next class in my mind would be:

Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Tippet, Liljegrin, Tolvanen

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Obviously it's way too early to know. As of right now though it's Dahlin/Svechnikov/Wise being the elite, and then there's a slight step below in Veleno/Boqvist/Wahlmstrom/Tkachuk.

Jack Wise is the next best American prospect and some scouts suggest he's better than Matthews/Eichel. He's been dubbed the next Jack Eichel so there's a lot of hype to this kid. Also has a cool name

In regard to Jake Wise, he was touted as the next great American forward (like Matthews and Eichel) coming into this season but has struggled a little bit this year at the u17 and u18 level. Some say this may be becuase he hasn't grow much in about a year. Still 5'10 so might have to mold him game a little bit. As of now I would say veleno and wise are equal with a slight edge to veleno IMO! 

• Upvote 1

Why don't most of you put Cody Glass in your top 10?

Also, no mention of Merkley for the 2018 class - dude is 16 until August and is nearly PPG in the OHL, as a right-shot Dman...

My top 10 (assuming we don't go any lower - I call us tanking down to 2nd, but picking 3rd overall)

1. Hischier
  2. Patrick
  3. Vilardi
  4. Glass
  5. Tippett
  6. Liljegren
  7. Mittelstadt
  8. Tolvanen
  9. Suzuki
  10. Andersson

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

Jack and I have the same last name so I'm praying we draft him so I can have a Canucks jersey with my own last name on it!! :)

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, EagleShield said:

Why don't most of you put Cody Glass in your top 10?

Also, no mention of Merkley for the 2018 class - dude is 16 until August and is nearly PPG in the OHL, as a right-shot Dman...

My top 10 (assuming we don't go any lower - I call us tanking down to 2nd, but picking 3rd overall)

1. Hischier
  2. Patrick
  3. Vilardi
  4. Glass
  5. Tippett
  6. Liljegren
  7. Mittelstadt
  8. Tolvanen
  9. Suzuki
  10. Andersson

Merkley id say is in the top 5 next year. 

Dahlin

Svechnikov 

Veleno

Wise

Merkley

Tkachuk

McLeod

Macdonald

Hughes

should all be in the mix. 

Dahlin is my number one. 

Edited by KKnight

After doing the draft lottery simulator a hole bunch of times we will most likely pick between 1-8. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked 7th. Even at 7, we can still land a pick like Cody Glass, Cale Makar, Timothy Liljegren, Nick Suzuki, Michael Rasmussen, Juuso Valimaki, Nicolas Hague, Eli Tolvanen, Elias Petterson, Martin Necks, Klim Kostin. 

Similar to last years draft the top15 look like NHL players

Edited by kenhodgejr

Petersson and Vilardi are our obvious targets if we manage to draft say in the top 5-6. Around there, I would consider also picking Tolvanen, Liljegren, Necas, Makar. Tolvanen doesn't have the hype that Laine had last year but he has the potential to be one of the steals of this year's draft. Whoever drafts him will be happy to have him. He can easily become a sniper similar to Ovi, Laine and a bunch of others. Also I haven't seen anybody mention Necas. He had a strong WJC and should be on Benning's radar also if we pick in the 6-7 range. He'll be gone before 8 I can guarantee. He looks to be a solid 2 way center who can become our 2C behind Bo in the future. I really like his game. He had 30 points in 18 games for Kometa, a team in the Czech U20 league last year but he's having a down year for Kometa in the pro Czech league with 15 points in 41. Still he has the potential to be maybe a Plekanec like player, a Larkin also. If we pick top 5 no doubt we go with any one of these 5

Patrick 

Hischier

Vilardi

Tippett

Pettersson

if we're targeting D then Makar, Valimaki, Foote are also solid options. We end up with any one of the 5 and I'll be happy. Not to mention a potential San Jose 1st so Go Sharks!:wacko:

• Upvote 3

Just a random note on Eeli Tolvanen...

He's playing at a pace that would see him net 35 goals in 57 games, exact same as Brock Boeser in his draft year. Kyle Connor(WPG) with 34 goals in 56 games for reference as well. 

Sioux only has 8 games left, so he can only finish with 53 GP, will be watching to see how close he can come to that 35 goal mark. On pace for 32. 

• Upvote 1