The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I didn't listen with sound, but from the visual, it really seemed like the guy was straight up bullying Loui. If so, then that's honestly terrible. Amazing how people can justify treating people like garbage because of something so petty as performance in hockey. It's like watching the guy on TV somehow makes people forget that he's a human with a life. He's a husband, a father, and a son, yet it seems like people are desperate to ridicule him as though he's subhuman or something. I have no problems with complaining about his play (he's been horrible this year), but to make personal attacks based on play always crosses the line IMO.

Lol maybe try listening with sound :lol:

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Jeezuz..  some people are really F’d up.

It Seems sports is just an outlet for hooligans to feel entitled.

I don't know man, it was pretty innocent IMO. I don't know if you've ever been heckled before but that was about as bad as "we want a pitcher, not a belly itcher". Almost every professional athlete in the history of sports has had to face worse than that. Personally, I thought it was pretty funny. If Loui wasn't making $6M a year, it wouldn't be offensive in the least. If you can't take a drunk sarcastic guy yelling in your direction for 5 seconds, you need to grow thicker skin. Not that I would do that myself, but come on, that was about as minor as heckling gets.

Edited by VIC_CITY

18 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I don't know man, it was pretty innocent IMO. I don't know if you've ever been heckled before but that was about as bad as "we want a pitcher, not a belly itcher". Almost every professional athlete in the history of sports has had to face worse than that. Personally, I thought it was pretty funny. If Loui wasn't making $6M a year, it wouldn't be offensive in the least. If you can't take a drunk sarcastic guy yelling in your direction for 5 seconds, you need to grow thicker skin. Not that I would do that myself, but come on, that was about as minor as heckling gets.

I tend to agree, it was minor heckling at its best. I'm sure fans at the games yell worse things at him. The issue is where he did it IMO, he didn't need to wait by the parking garage for the guy to come out and heckle, keep it at the games... Once they are off the ice they are back to being normal human beings like you and I. I personally don't heckle too many people driving or walking down the street lol

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

His situation revolving around LE is as easy to see, and has been spoken about at length..  

there is really no more conversation left about this player... shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Men behaving like bully’s and Ftards isn’t a rise to any occasion other than their own low life manship.. and antics like that teach and breed children to be the same low life..  it’s a wonderful world isn’t it.   Bold antics spilling over into racism, sexism, and keep interbreeding with the same people who think it’s funny.. well have another pint of courage, you might feel better, stronger, or at least not remember it in the morning.

If you have thicker skin, you can stand up to it,. not condone it, and never find it funny.

the thin skin I recognize is from the antagonism of the person speaking,.

Probably a poor victim of it himself once, never learned anything from it,   and now he is trying to make himself feel better.

The thick skin I see is of Erikssons .

Can someone educate me on the difference between LE and Kovalchuk?  Why couldn't we do the same thing they did, ultimately ending at terminating his contract, or does that need to be mutually agreed to?  I know there must be a reason as it seems like too simple a solution, but curious as to the reasons.  

Thanks in advance!  

5 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

I tend to agree, it was minor heckling at its best. I'm sure fans at the games yell worse things at him. The issue is where he did it IMO, he didn't need to wait by the parking garage for the guy to come out and heckle, keep it at the games... Once they are off the ice they are back to being normal human beings like you and I. I personally don't heckle too many people driving or walking down the street lol

That's true. I agree that we all deserve our space and privacy when we're off the clock. But the flip side of that is as a player is you have to know what you're signing up for when you sign in a hockey market like Vancouver. You have to have thick skin because it gets a whole lot worse than that when times are bad. I can almost guarantee you that doesn't happen in Florida.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

His situation revolving around LE is as easy to see, and has been spoken about at length..  

there is really no more conversation left about this player... shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Men behaving like bully’s and Ftards isn’t a rise to any occasion other than their own low life manship.. and antics like that teach and breed children to be the same low life..  it’s a wonderful world isn’t it.   Bold antics spilling over into racism, sexism, and keep interbreeding with the same people who think it’s funny.. well have another pint of courage, you might feel better, stronger, or at least not remember it in the morning.

If you have thicker skin, you can stand up to it,. not condone it, and never find it funny.

the thin skin I recognize is from the antagonism of the person speaking,.

Probably a poor victim of it himself once, never learned anything from it,   and now he is trying to make himself feel better.

The thick skin I see is of Erikssons .

You're not wrong, it's just a deep dive into society and in this case I'm only here for a cheap laugh. I don't agree with camping out and ambushing athletes in their private time, but in a vacuum I think it's pretty damn funny :P

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, skategal said:

Can someone educate me on the difference between LE and Kovalchuk?  Why couldn't we do the same thing they did, ultimately ending at terminating his contract, or does that need to be mutually agreed to?  I know there must be a reason as it seems like too simple a solution, but curious as to the reasons.  

Thanks in advance!  

Yes, unfortunately, it has to be mutually agreed.:(

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, skategal said:

Thanks in advance!  

Kovalchuk's contract was not mutually agreed so The Kings still have his cap hit. The Kings didn't get away with anything.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

Yes the contract termination was mutually agreed to, the reason LA still carries the cap hit is because it is a 35+ contract.

It was signed when he was 34, his age shouldn't be a factor. They said on Sportsnet last week cap-hit is because of it not being a mutual termination. 

4 hours ago, peaches5 said:

It was signed when he was 34, his age shouldn't be a factor. They said on Sportsnet last week cap-hit is because of it not being a mutual termination. 

Yes he was 34 when he signed, but he was 35 when the contract kicked in. Not sure why Ilya would not agree to leave, he received his bonus for the year last week. He's been benched since October, I'm sure he still feels he can play hockey at this level

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/ilya-kovalchuks-contract-los-angeles-015749323.html

1 hour ago, Sedinery33 said:

Yes he was 34 when he signed, but he was 35 when the contract kicked in. Not sure why Ilya would not agree to leave, he received his bonus for the year last week. He's been benched since October, I'm sure he still feels he can play hockey at this level

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/ilya-kovalchuks-contract-los-angeles-015749323.html

Idk wouldn't be the first time an analyst on sportsnet was completely wrong. Either way The Kings are stuck with his cap hit. 

Edited by peaches5
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Idk wouldn't be the first time an analyst on sportsnet was completely wrong. Either way The Kings are stuck with his cap hit. 

I mean if we could put a player on unconditional waivers for purpose of buyout with out their consent... Good bye LE lol

2 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

I mean if we could put a player on unconditional waivers for purpose of buyout with out their consent... Good bye LE lol

I think you mean complete contract termination. A buyout is almost worthless in terms of cap relief with Loui's bonus-laden contract.

I might have figured out how to get rid of LE!

Some think there is an agreement that he will retire or go back to

Sweden and terminate his contract after this year.. I also hope so

but it seems more like a dream than reality.

So here's what I propose: we keep LE this year and just carry his cap

as we should be fine this year anyway with Ferland on LTIR..

Next year we pay him his signing bonus of 3 mil. in July 2020. 

After that there is only a signing bonus of 1 mil. and a total salary

of 4 mil. left.. so that's 5 million in total.

Then we trade him to Ottawa for Marian Gaborik who will be on

the last year of a 4,875 mil. contract (3,075 mil. salary)

To make the deal work we need to add some B-prospect and a mid

round pick

To OTT: Loui Eriksson, one of Nikolay Goldobin/ Reid Boucher/ Ashton Sautner/ Lukas Jasek/ Jake Kielly and a 2021 3rd round pick

To Van: Marian Gaborik and a 2021 7th round pick

Why Van does this: I expect Baertschi to be gone/waivers whatever 

and Schaller probably won't be resigned. That's roughly 4 million in 

cap savings but we have to give a raise to Markstrom +2, Tanev +0,5

Virtanen +1, Leivo +1 and some others +0,5 which is around 5 million

in total that we need to maintain our roster. Because of the cheaper 

contract of Gaborik we would be able to sign all of our current roster

next year. And then of course the biggest reason, Gaboriks contract

will be up after next year and that's when we need to sign Hughes AND

Pettersson. There is no way we can still have Louis contract at this point.

Why Ott does this: They are in a rebuild and might wanna take a chance on

one of our prospects and they get an additional pick. It doesn't hurt Ott

to carry LE cap 1 more year than Gaborik's and even the salary is not

way much higher. If I would be Ottawa and in a rebuild I would do that 

for sure, getting 2 assets for something that doesn't really hurt them.

What do you guys think, could be possible? Is it a fair deal in your opinion?

6 hours ago, Nathancanuck said:

I might have figured out how to get rid of LE!

Some think there is an agreement that he will retire or go back to

Sweden and terminate his contract after this year.. I also hope so

but it seems more like a dream than reality.

So here's what I propose: we keep LE this year and just carry his cap

as we should be fine this year anyway with Ferland on LTIR..

Next year we pay him his signing bonus of 3 mil. in July 2020. 

After that there is only a signing bonus of 1 mil. and a total salary

of 4 mil. left.. so that's 5 million in total.

Then we trade him to Ottawa for Marian Gaborik who will be on

the last year of a 4,875 mil. contract (3,075 mil. salary)

To make the deal work we need to add some B-prospect and a mid

round pick

To OTT: Loui Eriksson, one of Nikolay Goldobin/ Reid Boucher/ Ashton Sautner/ Lukas Jasek/ Jake Kielly and a 2021 3rd round pick

To Van: Marian Gaborik and a 2021 7th round pick

Why Van does this: I expect Baertschi to be gone/waivers whatever 

and Schaller probably won't be resigned. That's roughly 4 million in 

cap savings but we have to give a raise to Markstrom +2, Tanev +0,5

Virtanen +1, Leivo +1 and some others +0,5 which is around 5 million

in total that we need to maintain our roster. Because of the cheaper 

contract of Gaborik we would be able to sign all of our current roster

next year. And then of course the biggest reason, Gaboriks contract

will be up after next year and that's when we need to sign Hughes AND

Pettersson. There is no way we can still have Louis contract at this point.

Why Ott does this: They are in a rebuild and might wanna take a chance on

one of our prospects and they get an additional pick. It doesn't hurt Ott

to carry LE cap 1 more year than Gaborik's and even the salary is not

way much higher. If I would be Ottawa and in a rebuild I would do that 

for sure, getting 2 assets for something that doesn't really hurt them.

What do you guys think, could be possible? Is it a fair deal in your opinion?

It’s up to Loui,.  Nobody else.  It’s a clause in his contract.

At least Kovalchuck was man enough to terminate his contract...  more notable about IK’s situation, is that he has been a consistent .5ppg player last season under Desjardins, and this season in 16? games.