The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)Nintendo to Release original 'mini' Console

Tre Mac

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187296/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-announced-price-games

Nintendo is bringing back the NES — only a little smaller.

Today the company announced what it's calling the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition. It looks just like a NES, only a lot tinier, and it comes with 30 games built in. You can connect it to your TV via a HDMI cable, and it also includes a controller designed to work just like the iconic rectangular NES gamepad. (The new controller will also connect to a Wii Remote, so that you can use it to play Virtual Console games on a Wii or Wii U.)

In addition to HDMI support and a lack of cartridges, the new mini-console also features one useful modern convenience: multiple suspend points, so that you won't have to fumble around with passwords when you start playing a game again. The NES Classic Edition will be available on November 11th for $59.99.

Here's the complete list of games:

• Balloon Fight
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Dr. Mario
  • Excitebike
  • Final Fantasy
  • Galaga
  • Ghosts'N Goblins
  • Gradius
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Mario Bros.
  • Mega Man 2
  • Metroid
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Pac-Man
  • Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
  • StarTropics
  • Super C
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Sorry I don't start many threads but what do you fellow old school gamers think?  Really wish River City Ransom was included because I would most definitely get this.  And if anyone brings up Pokémon in this thread I will hunt you down.

pretty sick. 

I barely ever played an NES. I started at SNES. I played duck hunt once at my friends. This is going to sell a lot. can we add games to it?

There has to be an snes release in the making, right? I don't mind emulators, but I wouldn't mind buying this. 

I'll buy it for sure. Hope they create add-ons with more games. Really wish they'd have some Paper Boy on there. 

Dr Mario alone makes it worth it for me.

EDIT: nvm, definitely no add-ons, no expansions, and no internet. that's a bit of a drag for me. Why not make a mini system they can add-on to? I'd pay a premium for a mini console like that with internet capability/modding, etc. 

I'll still buy it tho.

There has been knock-off versions of the NES, SNES, and Genesis. Saw one advertised at Target. However, the quality was reportedly hit-and-miss.

If the quality of this one is there, I'd buy it for sure.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

There has been knock-off versions of the NES, SNES, and Genesis. Saw one advertised at Target. However, the quality was reportedly hit-and-miss.

If the quality of this one is there, I'd buy it for sure.

That's an understatement! I bought a fake-sega once, and it died REAL quick.

Friend of mine had a hand held nintendo knock-off that didn't last long either. Wouldn't ever put my money in those things again, even if it was just bad luck

It's pretty cool. But having an actual NES makes the thing a bit redundant. Still an awesome thing to exist.

Like Glassjaw stated about it his post, it would be cool if was more than just a basic plug in and play system. It's already too bad that it can't accept real NES cartridges, so if it being unable to expand in any other way is lame. It's missing more than a few of my favourite games as is.

Does it calibrate for the lag that comes with flat panel HD TV's? Things like that are important.

I already have 3 MAME cabinets to play anything I want with just about any arcade and previous generation console game ever created.  I'll pass but I hope it works out well for Nintendo.  If it does other systems will follow.

Archived