The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Fire Benning! Prediction, Whatever, Rant,

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

So many posters credit Benning with having to deal with the Gillis NTC's and NMC's and yet he signed 4 himself, .....god for the goose, good for the gander? Could it not be said he has created the very problem most fans say handcuffed him before?

Having one of these contracts makes it mandatory to "protect" them in an expansion draft. Most likely the next expansion will be within the next two/three years.

Eriksson, PK, 2 30 goal seasons, you think he may end up looking a little like Burrows in a couple of years?

Okay, with the exception of firing the coach, ........

Now, the worst thing for the young guys on the team would be if he trades for Kane, too much "baggage" and too much of an age gap between Kane and the mentors because he has already had success in the NHL, he could be poison to Virtanen, two local boys hanging out in Vancouver, not a good thing. Now if Kane were around Lucic, that might be different, the alpha would definitely be Lucic.

3 of them are forwards, it's not like all 4 of our NMC's are forwards. One is a D-man that is valuable to this team and still will be for the next 2-3 years. I already explained what Eriksson can do. If he doesn't score he can play well defensively. And you claim he's gonna be the next Burrows? There's a reason he was drafted 33rd Overall and Burrows was undrafted. He can score, especially with the Sedins where he already has chemistry with them. The Sedins are here for the remainder of their careers. You can't argue against a fact. Is a sign of respect. I don't care if it's a business, you respect your most talented players by letting them play out the rest of their career with their team. And the Kane thing, why would Benning want a guy with attitude problems. What Benning looks into players most is their character, if they are motivated to be in the NHL. It's one of the most important assets in a player along with skill. Evander Kane has heaps of skill, but he doesn't want to develop at his peak.

On 7/24/2016 at 3:04 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

I get that from family members all the time, I watch games and pick them apart because that is what the job is.

The signature line gives 4 choices, ?????

That's why you watch the Canucks? Damn that must suck.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count... and everyone else.

OP is out to lunch, imo. 

We are in a far, far better place now than we were before he became GM.  

We have young talent. We have depth. We have some physicality.  We have goaltending prospects again. We may not have a cup winning team yet, but we have a lot of complementary players and a solid bottom nine at minimum. 

I am seriously not a Benning fanboy. I think he could have done better with some of his trades. But to suggest he is doing it all wrong is just silly.  The bottom line is in the results, and he has done exactly what he needed to do in order to set us up for the future - both immediate and distant. 

My only worry is where we are going to get our top line from. Boeser may hit. He may not. Horvat may become a #1 centre. He may not. If one of those things happen, there is still work to do and I don't know where we are getting the assets to make that happen. If both hit, then getting 1 more player might be possible via free agency for the 2nd line, and Eriksson ends up on the first. If neither hit, we are in big trouble.  Especially once the Sedins retire, and even then, Sutter as our #2 centre is not good enough, in my opinion. 

But overall, he's done a good job.  Let's give credit where it is due, and let him finish his work. 

41 minutes ago, kloubek said:

OP is out to lunch, imo. 

We are in a far, far better place now than we were before he became GM.  

We have young talent. We have depth. We have some physicality.  We have goaltending prospects again. We may not have a cup winning team yet, but we have a lot of complementary players and a solid bottom nine at minimum. 

I am seriously not a Benning fanboy. I think he could have done better with some of his trades. But to suggest he is doing it all wrong is just silly.  The bottom line is in the results, and he has done exactly what he needed to do in order to set us up for the future - both immediate and distant. 

My only worry is where we are going to get our top line from. Boeser may hit. He may not. Horvat may become a #1 centre. He may not. If one of those things happen, there is still work to do and I don't know where we are getting the assets to make that happen. If both hit, then getting 1 more player might be possible via free agency for the 2nd line, and Eriksson ends up on the first. If neither hit, we are in big trouble.  Especially once the Sedins retire, and even then, Sutter as our #2 centre is not good enough, in my opinion. 

But overall, he's done a good job.  Let's give credit where it is due, and let him finish his work. 

if they haven't found a replacement for the sedins in the next 2 years, i could see them resigning them for another year or two,.,,the guardian is either desi or his brother...or both...

On 7/24/2016 at 3:01 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

I wonder how many will see what this is?

Truly read my signature line and think.

"There are 3 kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence themselves."

Doing The Same Thing Over and Over Again And Expecting A Different Result Is The Definition Of Insanity.

So... you're the last two, 'cuz you keep posting like this, maybe expecting to get less neg reps, but instead get your urination gear fried every time?

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

if they haven't found a replacement for the sedins in the next 2 years, i could see them resigning them for another year or two,.,,the guardian is either desi or his brother...or both...

I didn't even see who posted the OP.  Now it makes a lot more sense. 

Yeah, we need to get those replacements figured out. Like I said, if Boeser and Horvat get to be top line players, we should be ok.  The less they work out, the more work that is necessary. 

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I didn't even see who posted the OP.  Now it makes a lot more sense. 

Yeah, we need to get those replacements figured out. Like I said, if Boeser and Horvat get to be top line players, we should be ok.  The less they work out, the more work that is necessary. 

I feel like we can make a St. Louis type offense where the scoring is balanced throughout all 4 lines. The 1st line isn't the strongest, but the rest can produce as much. That's pretty hard to do, but it is a suggestion if we don't get a 1C or if Horvat doesn't develop into a 80-90 Point 1C.

1 hour ago, Jam126 said:

I feel like we can make a St. Louis type offense where the scoring is balanced throughout all 4 lines. The 1st line isn't the strongest, but the rest can produce as much. That's pretty hard to do, but it is a suggestion if we don't get a 1C or if Horvat doesn't develop into a 80-90 Point 1C.

As I see it, without giving up the assets we need for this rebuild to work, we just don't have any other choice but to do a St. Louis style setup, or cross a lot of our fingers. 

The fact is, though, that with maybe a better than average defence, their balanced scoring is not enough scoring to win cups.  Shut down tarasenko and they aren't winning a lot of games.  That's why if only Boeser turns into a star (which he may entirely not), we are in no better position than they are. 

But, throw in the Sedins with their extension as the same time as a second line, and maybe Horvat kicking some butt.... Now that's an exciting team that can make things interesting.   And if Virtanen manages to hit too, that would be ridiculous.  A lot of what ifs, but if they all pan out...

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Baertschi Sutter Hansen

Etem Gaunce Dorsett

Rodin, Granlund

All players who are in their proper positions for their talent, and with many of the bottom six being elite given their line, such as Sutter, Hansen, and Baertschi. 

Id say that's a legit, homegrown lineup. Combined with our solid defence and goaltending, I don't care what the negative people say, but that's a solid, winning team.

But yes, Guardian... Benning needs to go.  This would look brutal, wouldn't it?

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

As I see it, without giving up the assets we need for this rebuild to work, we just don't have any other choice but to do a St. Louis style setup, or cross a lot of our fingers. 

The fact is, though, that with maybe a better than average defence, their balanced scoring is not enough scoring to win cups.  Shut down tarasenko and they aren't winning a lot of games.  That's why if only Boeser turns into a star (which he may entirely not), we are in no better position than they are. 

But, throw in the Sedins with their extension as the same time as a second line, and maybe Horvat kicking some butt.... Now that's an exciting team that can make things interesting.   And if Virtanen manages to hit too, that would be ridiculous.  A lot of what ifs, but if they all pan out...

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Baertschi Sutter Hansen

Etem Gaunce Dorsett

Rodin, Granlund

All players who are in their proper positions for their talent, and with many of the bottom six being elite given their line, such as Sutter, Hansen, and Baertschi. 

Id say that's a legit, homegrown lineup. Combined with our solid defence and goaltending, I don't care what the negative people say, but that's a solid, winning team.

But yes, Guardian... Benning needs to go.  This would look brutal, wouldn't it?

That line-up has the possibility of being an incredibly deep line-up. If they pan out, the whole league better watch out! Sutter's probably the best 3C in the league, he produces almost like a 2C. With Hank at 2C we will have effective scoring. And of course, our big guys, Horvat as 1C would be great is he pans out like you say.

5 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

That line-up has the possibility of being an incredibly deep line-up. If they pan out, the whole league better watch out! Sutter's probably the best 3C in the league, he produces almost like a 2C. With Hank at 2C we will have effective scoring. And of course, our big guys, Horvat as 1C would be great is he pans out like you say.

We need another top centre and elite winger to replace the Sedins, don't we?  

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yeah we do, but in case we don't have that, this is our back-up plan. Make a deep roster. If those 3 guys at the top pan out and accelerate. We have a chance.

8 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Yeah we do, but in case we don't have that, this is our back-up plan. Make a deep roster. If those 3 guys at the top pan out and accelerate. We have a chance.

I really like Bo as a two way number one centre.  We do need another top (young) centre to work with him though.  Zukenov(sp?) might be that guy, but he needs several years of physical development still.  The winger might be from a Tanev trade - not Kane though.  Landeskog if it's Tanev.  

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You bet.  Ideally, if we had the right players (or our prospects really, really surprise us) the Sedins would move down to the second line right now.  That way they wouldn't always be against the opposing players top line, or top checking line and they could continue producing the way they have been (or possibly better) right until they retire.  In my mind we need two more elite wingers, and an elite center to dominate.  Until then this team is going to struggle just to make the playoffs, let alone do much once they get there.

If the plan occurs roughly as I laid out above, it puts us as a playoff contender in a couple years time.  After the Sedins retire, it would be necessary to rebuild the second line. Baertachi would presumably be able to move to the 2nd as he'd be under utilized on the third anyway,  but we would still need a 2nd line center.  A challenge, but not impossible by any stretch. 

Of course, this all depends on Virtanen and Horvat becoming elite players in their own right.  If even one of them do, I'll consider us lucky.  I guess we'd be ok if Boeser was even 2nd line material, as Eriksson should be able to man the 1st line rw if needed. 

In short, the next couple of years will largely dictate the next several years of this teams success or failure.  If our young guys don't hit, we are in rough shape.  If they do, I believe we are in excellent shape short term, and pretty good shape long term too. 

25 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Jake and Boeser are both 19 yrs of age

By the time they are full time first line NHL players if ever....,  both Sedins will be long retired. 

Not necessarily. The Sedins still have 2 years on their contract, and have the potential to re sign for another year or two. If these guys aren't showing signs of greatness in three to four years, I doubt they will be the first line players we are hoping for and we are pretty much screwed at that point anyway.

10 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Not necessarily. The Sedins still have 2 years on their contract, and have the potential to re sign for another year or two. If these guys aren't showing signs of greatness in three to four years, I doubt they will be the first line players we are hoping for and we are pretty much screwed at that point anyway.

Sedins are 36  yrs old  in Sept 

There time on line one is pretty much up.  

We need a new first line asap.  Hopefully  for Sept 2017.     We are running out of time.  Naslund was done for Canucks by 35 yrs of age....

We don't have time to wait for Boeser and Virt.  Hank and Dank can't stay top line for 3-4  more years....

Probably going to have to be  Bo and Sven to bridge the gap......

This is the Canucks dilemma.....

Archived