The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My opinion on Virtanen for next season...

Sean Avery

I've read a couple of instances where it seems Virtanen has a growing respect for the Sedins and their approach to the game and conditioning. 

I'm probably just reading between lines that don't exist, but it's caused me to dream of a scenario where the Sedins take him under their wing (and on their line) and he turns into a big, scary beast with a Sedin-like approach to the game.

Say 25 goals this year, 30 goals next year and 40 the year after?

7 minutes ago, nzan said:

I've read a couple of instances where it seems Virtanen has a growing respect for the Sedins and their approach to the game and conditioning. 

I'm probably just reading between lines that don't exist, but it's caused me to dream of a scenario where the Sedins take him under their wing (and on their line) and he turns into a big, scary beast with a Sedin-like approach to the game.

15 would be a realistic prediction for next year. 20 the following would be great. 25 the next even better. 40 maybe one day?

1 hour ago, Sean Avery said:

I had a feeling this was going to happen next season when Benning made that trade... okay, now Etem is definitely better than Jensen and a 5th or whatever he gave up (I am getting a little scared though after how Jensen performed with Denmark at worlds), but we already have tons of young 3rd line guys like him. That's why I didn't see the point in getting him unless Willie wants one of them to sit on the bench for most of the year and get wasted.

As long as we can fit it under the cap it doesn't bother me to have a few guys rotating in and out of the press box, but we're quite likely to have at least 1 forward and 1 or 2 defenceman moved out for something by the start of the regular season.

If Jensen works out, good for him. and we are a little thin on left wing at the moment, but unless he developed into a sniper there wouldn't be much use for him until he improved his defensive play.

I didn't mind the move when it happened, but the judgement will really begin at the conclusion of next season and we see how Etem fared over a whole offseason/season with a new team.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

The clock has already started on his ELC contract.  He's going to be angry with the Canucks if he spends most of his time in Utica next season.  That could hurt his worth in his next contract.  It could affect his attitude and his play.  Then after he becomes an RFA after the '17-'18 season, he'll want to get out of Vancouver and other teams could use that as an excuse to outbid JB for Virtanen's services.

As long as he can at least tread water, Virtanen will stay with the big club.

I may be prone to keeping (from a fan perspective) the room clear of poor attitudes (not that I have any actual say in it) I really don't see how Virtanen would be angry. I expect a guy llike him to be clearly communicated to about the reasons for his playing in the AHL, presumably for greater minutes or what have you. I highly highly highly doubt he would resent the Canucks for such a move if he doesn't look to be fitting in right away at camp. If he's attempting to have a career in this league he'll take the advice of the pro's, go to Utica and work like hell on his game so that he can be ready for injury call-up or what have you.

He's only 19, and had a decent season last year, but his showing in presason will determine where he plays, not fears over his ego being hurt.

9 minutes ago, nzan said:

That's wishful thinking, but I like your optimism. 

Virtanen can benefit from a year in the AHL. When there was a lockout and several players when down to the AHL, a lot of unexpected guys that would be sent down in a normal situation actually upped their level of play when they returned.

Virtanen has the tools to be an NHL player, but could hone his skills by getting bigger minutes on the farm team.

There should be no guarantied NHL roster spot for Virtanen entering camp, and management should tell him as much before he gets there.  It's possible we should have had him in UTICA all of last year, and I hope we don't make the same mistake again, his game is far from consistent.  This may be unpopular, but the kid needs to earn his NHL contract and more playing time and development never hurt anyone.  Hope he makes the team, but only if he deserves it, and that he isn't stuck on the 4th line just to keep him "treading water".  We have Burrows-Etem-Dorsett for a fourth line, not that shabby and Virtanen hasn't outplayed any of those guys yet.

3 hours ago, Sean Avery said:

So... Virtanen... where does he fit best? I personally think that he should stay in the AHL for a season with Granlund on that 1st line and come up when there are injuries, but if he does stay in the NHL again, then on which line? I decided to write my opinion/view on it all and which line he would fit best on if he were to stay.

1st Line: Him on the 1st line with the Sedins was an idea that I had a little while ago. He would protect them with his physical game and they would pass the puck to him and make him a big goal scorer for us (sort of like what Edmonton has planned with Lucic). That did sound like a good idea at first, but after the Eriksson signing, that idea went out the window for the most part. That doesn't mean it won't happen for at least a couple of games though, just not the whole season/most of the season.

2nd Line: The 2nd line is where he was on for a good amount of games and probably most games last season with Baertschi and Horvat (and Vrbata playing with them as well). In preseason, that line did amazing for a couple of games, but not so good in the regular season with Horvat and Vrbata both being a -30. Now with older and better players like Hansen and Sutter ready for next season and Jim wanting to get a 2nd line guy to let Baertschi progress at his own rate, I don't see that being a thing on the 2nd line.

3rd Line: For it being a thing on the 3rd line, maybe, but there are other players trying to earn that role for next season as well like Etem, Rodin, and Gaunce. Burrows could also earn that spot if Willie and Trevor thinks that line is too young and needs a veteran to help them out. With the season Virtanen had, he might be the odd man out.

4th Line: The 4th line in my opinion for next season will most likely have Dorsett, Burrows (because he'll probably be jumping around on the 4th and 3rd line), and whoever gets that center spot in preseason (I think it'll be Granlund). Virtanen might fit best on there. Some might say that this could be the best line for Virtanen, but the players that he would be playing with aren't the most experienced or the best. Granlund is a playmaker though, so if he does train hard and get better in the offseason, then him and Virtanen could be amazing on that line with Dorsett protecting them as well.

Overall: I think if Granlund makes the team and will play as a 4th line center, then Virtanen should play there with him. If he doesn't, then Gaunce or Zalewski should play there and Virtanen should play with Horvat, Baertschi, Etem, and Rodin on the 3rd line. Even though that line would be crowded enough already.

Again though, this is just my opinion/view on it all, so sorry if I sound s****d to you and sorry if there have already been topics like this.

Well... while you're still reading this... look what I got for Willie's pet Vey a little while ago when playing GM mode. :picard: Did Willie pay EA to do this or are they this bad at players potential? ... Probably both.

20160310_034926.jpg

He'll fit when he grows up.

3 hours ago, BaerToBo said:

I know we signed Eriksson to play with the sedins but I hope they at least give these lines a try:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Eriksson-Sutter-Virtanen

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

I'd pay money to sit at a game with this lineup. Doubt we will see Burrows in the presser, so it would is likely either Virt or Gaunce starting out of the lineup, but hope they both crack the team this season.

So... 

Stetcher... Virtanen... the idea thrown around of Lucic... Brouwer... 

They've clearly had the idea in their scouting that they want a home town hero. It's part the reason they drafted him. 

I'm guessing they'll keep him up, he's a 'feature' to try and sell tickets. 

I'd prefer as 2nd/ 3rd lines this set up. 

baer- bo- hansen

baer-bo-virtanen

xxx-sutter-rodin

xxx-sutter-virtanen

Bo and Sutter are kind of at a stalemate. 

Bo is up and coming, however we got a limited view at Sutter last year. 

Hansen on the right adds some speed and a veteran. 

Sutter anchoring the likes of Virtanen and hopefully an added LW adds the same. 

I predict both virtanen and gaunce will start the season with utica since they wont have to go through waivers. I believe they will be used as call ups throughout the season. 

Sedin-sedin-hansen

Burrows-sutter-eriksson

Baer-horvat-rodin

Etem-granlund-dorsett

There are also some rumours that canucks may sign a ufa fwd or even trade for another fwd. 

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'm not going to say what I think would be best for Virtanen until I see him at camp. Hopefully he shows up in great shape and with fire in his belly. If that's the case, then definitely NHL. If he shows up (again) with conditioning issues, or just has a poor camp/preseason (and is outplayed by others), I think you send him down and let Green work his magic on the kid.

I don't think conditioning will be as big a problem as last year. I saw him recently and he looked like he's lost his baby fat. 

6 hours ago, Green Building said:

Utica, unless he crushes it right out of the gate and makes it impossible for us to send him down. He would have been there last year if it weren't for that silly age rule.

Is it really a silly age rule or do we not care to have a strong CHL in Canada? Was he really too strong for the AHL last year after getting what zero points in the playoffs there the year before? Was he too strong for the WHL after not even his team out of the first round the year before?

Archived