The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Blow it up

Canucks future  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys, hope you all had a nice thanksgiving. Lets jump into it and say that torontos blown it up and has some nice prospects now. What would your opinions be on doing the same maybe in a couple years? This team is projected to be horrible this year and with increasing age we cant expect our stars to stay healthy.  Even if we do make playoffs we wont win and we'll just lose out on young talent in the draft. The sedins wont be around forever and aside from boeser, we dont have first line prospects yet. So we either suffer later or suffer now when its easier becuase we have expandable pieces. This is how it might hypothetically end up...

Sedins- (7 million retained) for 2 firsts 2 prospects

Sutter- (2 million retained) for 1st 

Edler- 1st and prospect

Sbisa- 3rd rounder

Eriksson- (2 million retained) for 1st prospect

Hansen- 2nd 

Dorsett- 7th

Burrows 6th

Tanev- 1st and prospect

Markstrom- 1st and prospect 

Roster: 

Sven horvat boeser

Granlund gaunce virtanen 

Zalewski cassels etem

Friesen gaudette grenier 

Hutton gudbranson 

Juolevi stecher

Subban tryamkin

Demko

Garteig

We'll end up last and pick up some talent, and accumulate lots of pieces along the way... 

7 1sts

1 2nd 

1 3rd

1 6th

1 7th

And 6 prospects that may or may not slot into the above lines. 

We could potentially draft our number one center or defenceman. 

Now dont hate on me too bad, this is just an idea.

23 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

Hey guys, hope you all had a nice thanksgiving. Lets jump into it and say that torontos blown it up and has some nice prospects now. What would your opinions be on doing the same maybe in a couple years? This team is projected to be horrible this year and with increasing age we cant expect our stars to stay healthy.  Even if we do make playoffs we wont win and we'll just lose out on young talent in the draft. The sedins wont be around forever and aside from boeser, we dont have first line prospects yet. So we either suffer later or suffer now when its easier becuase we have expandable pieces. This is how it might hypothetically end up...

Sedins- (7 million retained) for 2 firsts 2 prospects

Sutter- (2 million retained) for 1st 

Edler- 1st and prospect

Sbisa- 3rd rounder

Eriksson- (2 million retained) for 1st prospect

Hansen- 2nd 

Dorsett- 7th

Burrows 6th

Tanev- 1st and prospect

Markstrom- 1st and prospect 

Roster: 

Sven horvat boeser

Granlund gaunce virtanen 

Zalewski cassels etem

Friesen gaudette grenier 

Hutton gudbranson 

Juolevi stecher

Subban tryamkin

Demko

Garteig

We'll end up last and pick up some talent, and accumulate lots of pieces along the way... 

7 1sts

1 2nd 

1 3rd

1 6th

1 7th

And 6 prospects that may or may not slot into the above lines. 

We could potentially draft our number one center or defenceman. 

Now dont hate on me too bad, this is just an idea.

You can only have 3 players with retained salaries at any given time. We already have 1 with Luongo and you want to add 4 more so this proposal is not going to work.

They will not blow it up because of the respect they have for the Sedins.

The plan might be to keep the Sedins for 5 more years, seeing as at their age they haven't slowed down drastically. Miller should be gone at the end of the season, as will Burrows. Elder and Sbisa may eventually be traded. It'll be up to JB to create a 1st line to supplant the Sedins, while they drop to 2nd line duties. Seeing as they have roughly 5 years to put two solid top 6 lines together, they're not that far off:

2018/19?

? - Horvat - Boeser

Daniel - Henrik - Virtanen

Baertschi - Sutter - Eriksson

(I only put Baertschi on the 3rd because I'm not sure he'd be able to fill 1st line duties and that pressure, maybe I'm wrong)

The D will be in good shape, with their young core shaping up: Hutton, Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Juolevi, Stecher, Brisebois, Subban

The Canucks, while being competitive and in close games, will struggle for a few years, landing them decent draft picks. JB will draft some gems and within 5 years, the Canucks will contend again. The Sedins will help make this happen by signing a ridiculously low "hometown" discount in their final year, so JB can sign the other players needed to win a championship. 

38 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

Why not? Any player can get traded for the right price. I respectfully disagree as I dont see how your comment makes sense. 

A few things

1) How often are players like the Sedins traded?

2) You NEVER trade players right a couple  months after you acquired them. That just kills your reputation

3) As I said, trades like these only happen in video games

Another blow it up thread........assuming you're not a troll

They are rebuilding.  There is more than one way to rebuild.  It started with Gillis trading Schneider and drafting a leader with strong character in Horvat.

One thing that is vitally important that so many people discount or just plain disregard is team culture.  A Toronto style blow it up rebuild is designed to eradicate a dysfunctional team culture.  The Canucks have a good team culture.  Players talk about it.  Ex-players talk about it. Believe me, it's worth preserving.

A team that is struggling with establishing a good team culture is the Whitecaps.  They have brought in all sorts of players who are good on their own but the culture is weak, they don't care enough and they struggle to win.  There was a much talked about interview with David Ousted last season after a tough loss and we could all hear the other players having fun in the background.  Teams that do well, hate to lose more than anything.  

I'm 100% behind the way Linden and Benning are approaching the rebuild.  You can't just gather young players with pedigree and have a winner.  There's more to it than just talent.  They have to care, they need character, leadership, and heart.

12 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

They are rebuilding.  There is more than one way to rebuild.  It started with Gillis trading Schneider and drafting a leader with strong character in Horvat.

One thing that is vitally important that so many people discount or just plain disregard is team culture.  A Toronto style blow it up rebuild is designed to eradicate a dysfunctional team culture.  The Canucks have a good team culture.  Players talk about it.  Ex-players talk about it. Believe me, it's worth preserving.

A team that is struggling with establishing a good team culture is the Whitecaps.  They have brought in all sorts of players who are good on their own but the culture is weak, they don't care enough and they struggle to win.  There was a much talked about interview with David Ousted last season after a tough loss and we could all hear the other players having fun in the background.  Teams that do well, hate to lose more than anything.  

I'm 100% behind the way Linden and Benning are approaching the rebuild.  You can't just gather young players with pedigree and have a winner.  There's more to it than just talent.  They have to care, they need character, leadership, and heart.

That's all VERY true CC, but we do need two elite (talented) young forwards, don't you think?  I think we are doing exactly like you say.  We are getting guys with great character, who a good players.  I just think we need two forwards, who are game breakers to get out of the middle of the league, and back to the top.  I keep asking where do we get these two from, and all I hear is, be patient.  Next draft has one elite forward, and after that who knows.  How long do we wait; another 30 years like we did for the Twins?  

26 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Which is exactly why the entire media is wrong wrong wrong. We will be better than those moldy leafs with their scorched earth rebuild, whose only identity is how to lose. They don't even know how to try to win. 

Pathetic.

Oh and OP, -1 for promoting a TO style tank, or setting up a bunch of young players for failure. For shame. 

I've said it before and will surely again - 

TANKING IS FOR LOSERS

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's all VERY true CC, but we do need two elite (talented) young forwards, don't you think?  I think we are doing exactly like you say.  We are getting guys with great character, who a good players.  I just think we need two forwards, who are game breakers to get out of the middle of the league, and back to the top.  I keep asking where do we get these two from, and all I hear is, be patient.  Next draft has one elite forward, and after that who knows.  How long do we wait; another 30 years like we did for the Twins?  

You know that question is very hard to answer and requires more than a little speculation.

1. In the system.  Horvat, Virtanen, Baertschi, Rodin, Boeser.....
  2. Draft
  3. Trade.  As depth improves, Benning will have the assets to trade for players of high talent who become available from time to time.
  4. Free Agency

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

You know that question is very hard to answer and requires more than a little speculation.

1. In the system.  Horvat, Virtanen, Baertschi, Rodin, Boeser.....
  2. Draft
  3. Trade.  As depth improves, Benning will have the assets to trade for players of high talent who become available from time to time.
  4. Free Agency

I hate seeing the Leafs, Sabres, and Oilers rewarded with these young superstar forwards for purposely being crappy.  Maybe Boeser is the next Bossey?  God I hope you're right.

Archived