The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Skille | #9 | RW

-AJ-

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

So what!

A generational player by definition comes along once every 10 years or so.  Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid (time will confirm this).  This is rarified air and a very short list.

Superstar is a term that gets over used.  It pretty much goes for players who are always in the running for various individual awards.  Doughty, Karlsson etc  There are maybe 10-15 of these in the league.  The Sedins were there but only for a few years.  Many teams don't have one of these.  Matthews < McDavid so he would only qualify as a superstar if he develops well.

Elite is the sort of player who plays for one of the better national teams on a year in year out basis.  Team Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia.....I think that there are players who make a national squad who you wouldn't call elite.

The 2011 Bruins had players who pretty much capped out at the elite level imo.  Chara was drafted 56 OA in 1996, Tim Thomas 217 OA, Patrice Bergeron 45 OA, Milan Lucic 50 OA, David Krejci 63 OA, Johnny Boychuk 61 OA, Brad Marchand 71 OA.....am I missing some core players from that SC winning team? 

Surely, you're getting the picture.  None of these guys were even first round picks.  Development > Drafting B) 

Thanks.  Back on track - yes, meds working too:)

On 10/14/2016 at 3:32 PM, Green Building said:

Actually, if you watched him in any preseason tilts you'd have seen that energy shifts and hits are going to be his exact role here, and I don't think he's going to end up taking many faceoffs. 

I've seen that guys' posts he lives in Australia I think. He doesn't actually have a bloody clue what is going on locally with the team until regular season starts.

Outside of highlights and news stories/videos/TSN 1040 he doesn't know what is going on really.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I've seen that guys' posts he lives in Australia I think. He doesn't actually have a bloody clue what is going on locally with the team until regular season starts.

Outside of highlights and news stories/videos/TSN 1040 he doesn't know what is going on really.

Yeah I've seen his posts before, just felt like sharing this time. It must be tough being a Canucks fan on another continent, but sometimes a little fact checking goes a long ways. Hey, who knows, maybe Skille moves to center this year.

Just now, Boudrias said:

Thought he had a good game. It looks like he can handle the role if they decide to send Virt down for TOI in Utica.

Physically maybe, but not his shot. Jake's just a kid, needs a bit more time for the melon to develop and he'll be fine. 

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Physically maybe, but not his shot. Jake's just a kid, needs a bit more time for the melon to develop and he'll be fine. 

Totally agree. Physically Virt is there. He has to play smarter but the question is whether he will get enough TOI at the NHL level to develop his game. I am not suggesting that Skille outplayed Virt just that he is a option.

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. Physically Virt is there. He has to play smarter but the question is whether he will get enough TOI at the NHL level to develop his game. I am not suggesting that Skille outplayed Virt just that he is a option.

To start the year I wasn't a fan of sending Jake to Utica right away, I wanted to see where he was really at. I suspect he's going to get maybe 5-6 more games and if its more of the same then he'll head down for development. And thats good, he then goes with no excuses and he'll have a firm idea of what he needs to work on, and the rest is up to him. 

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

To start the year I wasn't a fan of sending Jake to Utica right away, I wanted to see where he was really at. I suspect he's going to get maybe 5-6 more games and if its more of the same then he'll head down for development. And thats good, he then goes with no excuses and he'll have a firm idea of what he needs to work on, and the rest is up to him. 

Rodin comes back (after his own likely Utica conditioning stint) and he goes down IMO (short of him getting back in and being on fire).

On October 15, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Crabcakes said:

So what!

A generational player by definition comes along once every 10 years or so.  Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid (time will confirm this).  This is rarified air and a very short list.

Superstar is a term that gets over used.  It pretty much goes for players who are always in the running for various individual awards.  Doughty, Karlsson etc  There are maybe 10-15 of these in the league.  The Sedins were there but only for a few years.  Many teams don't have one of these.  Matthews < McDavid so he would only qualify as a superstar if he develops well.

Elite is the sort of player who plays for one of the better national teams on a year in year out basis.  Team Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia.....I think that there are players who make a national squad who you wouldn't call elite.

The 2011 Bruins had players who pretty much capped out at the elite level imo.  Chara was drafted 56 OA in 1996, Tim Thomas 217 OA, Patrice Bergeron 45 OA, Milan Lucic 50 OA, David Krejci 63 OA, Johnny Boychuk 61 OA, Brad Marchand 71 OA.....am I missing some core players from that SC winning team? 

Surely, you're getting the picture.  None of these guys were even first round picks.  Development > Drafting B) 

Brilliant analysis   - look at one team 2011 bruins and generalize to a  the entire league over 10 years.....

Too funny.  

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Brilliant analysis   - look at one team 2011 bruins and generalize to a  the entire league over 10 years.....

Too funny.  

I'll draw you a picture then.

Lots of very good players not taken in the first round and all on the same team.  Pretty much the entire core of a SC winning team.  And it's Benning's old team.

That's not general, that's a specific case.  It is common knowledge that there are lots of really good players league wide who were picked well down the draft.   

Obviously high picks are nice but if they aren't getting top 5 picks, it doesn't mean they can't win a cup.  

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I'll draw you a picture then.

Lots of very good players not taken in the first round and all on the same team.  Pretty much the entire core of a SC winning team.  And it's Benning's old team.

That's not general, that's a specific case.  It is common knowledge that there are lots of really good players league wide who were picked well down the draft.   

Obviously high picks are nice but if they aren't getting top 5 picks, it doesn't mean they can't win a cup.  

Wow you found  ONE  team that won a cup one year with limited top picks....  WOW  , your my hero.

Maybe you should check out a few other teams eg. Chicago , Pitsburg,  LA 

See how they did it..

You crack me up..........

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow you found  ONE  team that won a cup one year with limited top picks....  WOW  , your my hero.

Maybe you should check out a few other teams eg. Chicago , Pitsburg,  LA 

See how they did it..

You crack me up..........

Chicago:

• Duncan Keith, 54 OA
  • Panarin, undrafted
  • Hjalmarson, 168 OA

Pittsburgh:

• Kunitz, undrafted
  • Letang, 62 OA
  • Hornqvist, 230 OA

there are examples of top players on every team

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Chicago:

• Duncan Keith, 54 OA
  • Panarin, undrafted
  • Hjalmarson, 168 OA

Pittsburgh:

• Kunitz, undrafted
  • Letang, 62 OA
  • Hornqvist, 230 OA

there are examples of top players on every team

Yup there certainly are examples of a few very top picks  ( top 5  ) on most Stanley Cup Winners...

Chicago  - have you heard of Kane and Toews ?

Pitsburg -   have you heard of their guy Crosby Malkin, and Kessel 

31 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yup there certainly are examples of a few very top picks  ( top 5  ) on most Stanley Cup Winners...

Chicago  - have you heard of Kane and Toews ?

Pitsburg -   have you heard of their guy Crosby Malkin, and Kessel 

Not sure what started this but I'll put in some input. You don't need a top 5 pick to win the cup. It helps for sure but it is not absolutely necessary.

If JB can acquire some gems with whatever picks he is given then that would be awesome. He acquired both McCann and Boeser with late picks and both those guys have not looked that bad thus far considering they were late firsts.

We also have a top 5 pick right now and had a 6th OA pick a couple years back. Also I wouldn't put it past us to possibly acquire another, depending on how the next few seasons go.

This team also is not going to tear down while the Sedins are here and I am not sure that they will be leaving anytime soon. I am also not sure Aquaman wants to tear down either. So if you want the team to tear down it probably won't. A tank season is not out of the picture with what could happen during the regular season(injuries/playing bad) and even then it likely won't be a complete tear down but hey that may be a top 5 pick.

Not sure where you stand so if I am wrong with my assumption of you let me know.

Archived