The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames

Darius

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Agreed. Smith is no spring chicken. Has looked good in stretched but weathered at other times. 

Smith is good for 50 games, he was the flames MVP in the first half.   He can’t play more than that.   He gets burnt out way to easy. That’s why they traded for lack but lack was garbage.  

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, kloubek said:

I don't disagree.  And this is weird to me, considering that in recent years past they WERE the team that battled together, as a team.  Heck, when they destroyed us in the 2014-15 playoffs, they were relentless.  Not sure what happened between now and then, and that's why I say I feel Gulutzan (sp?) has lost the room.

I think some of the players who have come in since that time have not fit into the "team" concept very well.

The Flames have good possession numbers this year but seems to not have the bounces in a lot of the tight games and they miss the playoffs as a result. Remember in 2014-15 when they make the playoffs with terrible possession numbers but luck was always on their side that season as they kept coming back to win games in the 3rd period. I think things just even out in the long run. This year is the polar opposite of 2015 for them. It is on their GM to not have their 1st round pick lottery protected when trading for a player like Hamonic. Hamonic is not a guy that you trade for without making that first round pick lottery protected.

51 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

Lames lose again. I love it!

Other than Giordano, the Flames top minute players are McSofties.  They have no heart.  There is something ver seriously wrong in Cowtown.  Their team is gutshot and it’s not good.  This makes me VERY HAPPY!!!!

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Calgary Flames have scored 3 more goals this season than the Vancouver Canucks.  Three, versus our alleged anemic roster.

With all our injuries that's a telling stat. Will be interesting to watch how they proceed from here. Maybe a few too many "pad my stats" kind of players on that team.

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Calgary Flames have scored 3 more goals this season than the Vancouver Canucks.  Three, versus our alleged anemic roster.

We hear that all the time. Wouldn't it be nice to go injury free, or at least injury free to the key guys on this team? Wishful thinking, but just once would be nice. You have to give credit to the Bruins for what they're doing this year. It would be interesting to see how the Bruin team would do, if they were based on the West Coast, and have to travel as much as the Canuck group. Hypothetical statement yes! Hell, never thought I would say that.

3 hours ago, rekker said:

With all our injuries that's a telling stat. Will be interesting to watch how they proceed from here. Maybe a few too many "pad my stats" kind of players on that team.

Not to mention the vast difference in offense from the back end, where we're sorely lacking.  If we could acquire/develop even one or two puck-movers, how much more would that ignite the forwards?

48 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not to mention the vast difference in offense from the back end, where we're sorely lacking.  If we could acquire/develop even one or two puck-movers, how much more would that ignite the forwards?

Puck movers and a true offensive minded dman. Seeing Pouliot move in from the point to snipe one from the slot last night was something I would love to see more of. Nice pass there Goldy. 

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

And it's a massive battle of overrated titans in Alberta tonight.  Already Smith gave up the puck for an empty-net goal, assisted by Kassian.

How many first overall picks have the Oilers had over the last 10 years?  And they still are terrible.  Flames need a goalie.

Dougie Creampuff with his 17th.  Our entire D only have 20 :mellow:

...and now Talbot lets in a shorthanded muffin from far out.  2 goals on 4 shots.  Second edit -- 3 in 7, Talbot done.

Oh what fun it will be when the Canucks surpass these two no-character outfits, and within the next two years.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:46 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Smith is good for 50 games, he was the flames MVP in the first half.   He can’t play more than that.   He gets burnt out way to easy. That’s why they traded for lack but lack was garbage.  

He (Lack) might still be garbage but a 4 game sample size is pretty small.  Anyhow, Lack's numbers look much better in the same 4 game sample size with New Jersey (not great mind you, upgraded from trash to mediocre :P).  Maybe the problem lies in the (Flames) roster [overrated blueline] as much as the goaltending.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He (Lack) might still be garbage but a 4 game sample size is pretty small.  Anyhow, Lack's numbers look much better in the same 4 game sample size with New Jersey (not great mind you, upgraded from trash to mediocre :P).  Maybe the problem lies in the (Flames) roster [overrated blueline] as much as the goaltending.

No lack was terrible. He’s not an NHL goalie. Nothing he’s done has proved that he’s even worthy of a back up. Lots of goalies have a decent season coming in relief and never live up to again. Lack falls into that group. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No lack was terrible. He’s not an NHL goalie. Nothing he’s done has proved that he’s even worthy of a back up. Lots of goalies have a decent season coming in relief and never live up to again. Lack falls into that group. 

But he does a funny dance when he wins a game.

I hear Noodles a lot on the radio out here and he is always talking about how many NHL goalies are backups in terms of talent and that even if they have a standout year as a backup and get promoted to starter by another team, most fail because they lack the ability between the ears to be a starter. It's a completely different mentality when you play once a week or less then get shoved into playing 70 games. He often uses Scott Darling as an example. Great backup, terrible starter because he's a backup with a backup mentality.

Archived