The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Chaput | C/W

-AJ-

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Do you know what his qualifying offer was?

18 hours ago, mll said:

He's probably looking for a one way-deal.  Per CapFriendly his qualifying offer was 750K at the NHL level.  He is on a two-way and would only earn 70K in the AHL.  He hasn't met the requirements for his qualifying offer to be a one-way deal - the qualifying offer is set by the CBA based on his previous contract.

Meh. Easily replaced by a prospect on a two way deal shouldn't have even qualified him. Or resigned megna for that matter.

This guy should have  just be happy he's got an NHL job. Now he filed for arbitriaon and the Canucks can undo the mistake of qualifying him by simply walking away and then it's off to Europe for a fringe fourth liner on one of the worst teams.

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Do you know what his qualifying offer was?

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

That was Boucher.

Per CapFriendly - Chaput is 660K in the NHL and 225K in the AHL.  Chaput had a guaranteed minimum salary of 350K last season.    

2 hours ago, combover said:

Meh. Easily replaced by a prospect on a two way deal shouldn't have even qualified him. Or resigned megna for that matter.

This guy should have  just be happy he's got an NHL job. Now he filed for arbitriaon and the Canucks can undo the mistake of qualifying him by simply walking away and then it's off to Europe for a fringe fourth liner on one of the worst teams.

um no

i'm told a team cannot walk away from any contract under a certain value threshold ($3.8 million?)

so this ensures that he will in fact have a contract and be with the canucks

47 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

um no

i'm told a team cannot walk away from any contract under a certain value threshold ($3.8 million?)

Found the amount - it's just under 4.1M.  In Friedman's 30 thoughts from 27 May.

28. [...]. If a team wants to walk away from a salary arbitration decision, the threshold is $4,084,219.

2 hours ago, mll said:

That was Boucher.

Per CapFriendly - Chaput is 660K in the NHL and 225K in the AHL.  Chaput had a guaranteed minimum salary of 350K last season.    

Oh my mistake, there was talk about Chaput before your post...

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

um no

Ohh. Thanks I knew they could walk away but I wasn't clear about all the finer details.

too bad but they should have never qualified him. Now they need to bribe the abritrator 500k to award Chaput a 4million per contract.lol.and it wouldn't even go against the cap.ha.

looks like waivers for shampoo and Megna most likely biega too. 

2 hours ago, combover said:

Ohh. Thanks I knew they could walk away but I wasn't clear about all the finer details.

too bad but they should have never qualified him. Now they need to bribe the abritrator 500k to award Chaput a 4million per contract.lol.and it wouldn't even go against the cap.ha.

looks like waivers for shampoo and Megna most likely biega too. 

i agree with the waivers comments.. for boucher maybe as well

that is why the canucks are insisting on 2 way contracts

they have way too many bodies . so players are going to be sent down, unless they are claimed on waivers

it will be a pretty competitive training camp i think

and really, for chaput and boucher, why wouldn't you at least try arbitration to get a 1 way contract

they have nothing at all to lose by trying to get the best deal for them

He progressed a lot last year and had a solid season. His FO% was around 52% I believe. His size + speed counts for something. I doubt he has the potential to move up the roster which will likely be his demise as the Canuck depth will likely do him in. We might be pleasantly surprised this fall. Failing that I suspect he moves back to the AHL. 

His arbitration hearing is on July 21st.  

Chaput is probably going to spend most of the season in the AHL with these new additions.  He will have to go through waivers to go to Utica.  I wonder if Benning might not put him on waivers before the arbitration hearing.  It strengthens the Canucks case if he clears waivers and if he gets picked up it might be easier to deal with finding a replacement in the off-season rather than at the start of the season.

The Wild used that waivers tactics with Schroeder last off-season.  They were upset he took them to arbitration so they put him on waivers - he cleared.  Predators also just used that strategy with Mazanec.

Archived