The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MacIntyre's three thoughts: It's over for the Canucks, probably over for Desjardins

VanGnome

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

None of that negates a different coach pulling more out of this team. We've got better than 30th place talent. 

54 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Could they get more though? How much more? What's your long list of available and clearly superior options who are presently available? To what end?

Honestly, you're very much in the outer fringes of diminishing returns with a coaching change right now IMO.

Last night was just one of those games; the wheels came off, and the whole team looked bad. They happen, even to some of the best teams. The guys have, for the most part this season, played hard and been at least reasonably competitive. But...the coaching staff could be looked at pretty hard.

People were damn near screaming for the T.O. during that crash-and-burn; nothing. And looking at the stats, one thing jumps out. Hank played 21:30, the most of any of the forwards. Bo played 16 and some change. This game was at the end of a road trip. I would have thought that the coaches would have been more aware of ice time, and tried to limit the Twins a little more. Bo has been pretty much our best player. So...why not more ice time?

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The entire team 'isn't working'. This is a rebuild.

And again with the black and white.... I never said our players are crap. Individually, we have good players. The Sedins are legends but they're are no longer elite 1st liners and we have no one yet ready to supplant them. We've got some nice young players like Horvat, Stetcher, Hutton, Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Markstrom etc but they're YOUNG.

Not having an above average 1st line is kind of a problem if you want to win games. Having the youngest D in the league is a problem if you want to win games. Having your top pair and one of your better, veteran forwards out is a problem if you want to win games. Combining all those things is a BIG PROBLEM if you want to win games.

Those are not coaching issues and they are BY FAR the biggest reasons for our season. The coaching, while certainly not 'perfect', is a very, VERY small reason for our season. How much the coaching is 'not working' is severely overblown.

Between the compressed schedule, travel and CBA required time off, there is FAR, FAR less practice time available at the NHL level vs AHL. This has absolutely nothing to do with coaching or a coach's ability to schedule. 

I really don't know how to state that more clearly.

Far more Coaching "aids" to go over things these days JR.. your talking practice.. I'm talking about creating the time to create a relationship with a player through analyzing his game.

Thats what TG does..

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You're arguing very hard to keep a coach who, by your own admission, is at best "adequate." 

I'm arguing for a coaching change, they *may* improve the team. If another competent coach can't get anything else out of this group its pretty hard to argue not to tear it down. If they could somehow make a wildcard spot the boost to guys like Horvat would be fantastic. 

Just now, SilentSam said:

Far more Coaching "aids" to go over things these days JR.. your talking practice.. I'm talking about creating the time to create a relationship with a player through analyzing his game.

Thats what TG does..

TG also has a metric crap ton more time to actually get Jake practicing and implementing those things. It's kind of important.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Excellent article by IM.  The Canucks are in serious trouble on and off the ice.  The OWNER needs to come out publicly and say we are rebuilding, and that there will be no half measures.  Then JB needs to start trading off the vets - especially the ones with NTCs and NMCs.  Let EVERYONE know this is a rebuild, and stop the charade.

totally agree, ....time to take our emotions out of this and reload across the board

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

You're arguing very hard to keep a coach who, by your own admission, is at best "adequate." 

I'm arguing for a coaching change, they *may* improve the team. If another competent coach can't get anything else out of this group its pretty hard to argue not to tear it down. If they could somehow make a wildcard spot the boost to guys like Horvat would be fantastic. 

An 'adequate' NHL coach is a pretty f'n good hockey coach.

How many 'top' NHL coaches do you think are out there? How many are available to hire?

Any other coach is not going to magically get this team in to the playoffs. You vastly overrate what difference that would make IMO. At best we go from picking top 5 to 5-10.

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Adequate right now is all this team needs. A change now and people might be calling for a new coach before next season even began, Even if the current system is the craps there is no point in teach 3 more systems over the next 2 years simply because WD was only "adequate".

If there isn't a clear replacement that wants to be here for 5 years then there really isn't any rush.

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

TG also has a metric crap ton more time to actually get Jake practicing and implementing those things. It's kind of important.

The job tittle is Coach.. out of a 24hr day that your paid for you make the time.. if you don't have the time on ice, it's done off ice..

and that was what Virtannen was referring to,  Video.

Video Room.

If your making excuses for Willie NOT doing this.. the wheel has fallen off and is past repair.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The job tittle is Coach.. out of a 24hr day that your paid for you make the time.. if you don't have the time on ice, it's done off ice..

Video Room.

If your making excuses for Willie NOT doing this.. the wheel has fallen off and is past repair.

CBA DOES NOT ALLOW THAT.

Is that clear enough for you?

Some things are glaringly obvious here. WD has made mistakes in his coaching tenure here and this team STILL lacks leadership. I don't think WD is the coach of the future but the more glaring problem is Leadership, as exhibited in the Carolina game. We need a new Captain and the Sedins time in Vancouver is nearing the end. Their play has grown stale and they are not helping the team in any area other then scoring a goal on occasion. The "magic" and "entertainment" is pretty much gone from their play.  We need to make the transition, similar to the Coilers this year, and move on. Time for a new chapter in this book so to speak.

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

An 'adequate' NHL coach is a pretty f'n good hockey coach.

How many 'top' NHL coaches do you think are out there? How many are available to hire?

Any other coach is not going to magically get this team in to the playoffs. You vastly overrate what difference that would make IMO. At best we go from picking top 5 to 5-10.

I don't think the new coach needs to get the team to the playoffs to be the right choice.

At this point Desjardins has hitched his wagon to the doomed playoff retool and relies too much on the vets. Their is no way he can be the one to implement the fundamental change to putting the young guys in more prominent roles, separating the Sedins, etc that need to happen.

A new coach that can take the rest of this season to think outside the box and try to get more out of this group starts with a clean slate and a bit of rope from the fans. 

Thats is the reason to make the change now.

28 minutes ago, Quoted said:

Or the team simply isn't good enough?

This team is not good enough and the coaches message is not getting through either....It seems clear to me that Willie was not going to be the long term coach ..I am more inclined to think the team is a lot better than their record indicates..

The team has not won back to back games the entire season..

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Video Room.

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

CBA DOES NOT ALLOW THAT.

Is that clear enough for you?

Seriously, not sure where I could be any clearer here?:lol:

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Fair enough. But just for yuks.... would Gallant be an upgrade on Willie? 

Rough scan of his resume, maybe, maybe not. That's it. That's why the move for him may only be lateral if he even desires to come here. He has a great resume as an assistant coach, but for whatever gong show reasons he didn't last too long in Florida. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't think the new coach needs to get the team to the playoffs to be the right choice.

At this point Desjardins has hitched his wagon to the doomed playoff retool and relies too much on the vets. Their is no way he can be the one to implement the fundamental change to putting the young guys in more prominent roles, separating the Sedins, etc that need to happen.

A new coach that can take the rest of this season to think outside the box and try to get more out of this group starts with a clean slate and a bit of rope from the fans. 

Thats is the reason to make the change now.

That's the first tangible argument I could actually understand as reasoning for firing him. 

That said, at this juncture, we don't have the forward prospects to implement it IMO. 

Archived