The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning better sign Tryamkin longterm FAST

*Buzzsaw*

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

So much hyperbole and overhyping in this thread...

Yes, he played well today and he should get signed. However, his season hasn't been good enough to turn all other 29 teams' heads. He's also an RFA.

He'll get signed medium term for a fair amount... + the regular over/under 250k-1mill Benning overpayment.

I totally agree with you but want to mention that all the gms already knew who he was at the draft. it was a gamble for the nucks and ending up paying off -he probably would've gone 1st round if he was from north america tbh..

but yes RFA, and also why would he want to move to a new city all over again when he seems to like it here? people need to calm down lol

The "I will bolt to Russia" card is kind of overplayed here.

The KHL salaries are not that great, aside from a couple of guys at the top.  The 9th top salary in the entire league is $1.5 million.... the 30th top salary is a million.  Tryamkin would almost certainly fall under that range as he isn't a big established name stolen from the NHL.  The working/travelling conditions there are also pretty horrible, especially compared with how NHL players are treated.

Unlike Hutton though, Tryamkin IS a player that has a unique skill set and could come back to burn you with a bridge deal.  

If you can add significant term and keep him under $4 million per... it is probably worth it to do.  I would have zero heartache with a 5x$3.75 deal.  If something goes entirely off the rails, you waive/play him in the AHL until he decides to pull the plug and go home.  Things would have to go pretty badly for a D to not be worth that salary though.  Sbisa had never been a + player in his career and commanded those kinds of dollars.

The worst case scenario with that kind of deal is you are overpaying a 3rd pairing D by a million or so.  The worst case in a bridge deal is that we save cap hit in the short term (which we don't really need), and get held at gunpoint at the end of 2-3 years if he is a top 4 guy... and that could be at a time when we really need that cap space to start really contending again.

2 hours ago, on the cycle said:

What's the rush? He'll be an RFA and will have no leverage. It won't cost much to get him on even a 3-4 year deal maybe $3M AAV could be a little more but not by much.

not really.. KHL team sees him doing well.. toss him a fat contract.. bye

Loved Tryamkin's game tonight I'll add I also thought he read the play very very well and played with lots of confidence and poise great to see!

Especially great to see this rapid development and lucky thing for him there was injuries to help with that.

Was strange for such a turn around physically because for the longest time seems like he pretty much quit hitting not sure if the coaches said something or he's healthier but he was a monster physically tonight and we could definitely use that considering this team is as soft as butter and some teams we play well pretty much all are far more physical than we are on a nightly basis.

We desperately need someone who plays with a nasty edge and can back it up and defend teammates especially with no Gudbranson around and I couldn't be happier he's stepping up!

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

not really.. KHL team sees him doing well.. toss him a fat contract.. bye

As mentioned, even a fat contract by KHL standards pales in comparison to a decent NHL contract. Kovalchuk is the highest paid player in the KHL and he gets 5.5 million a year. That's half a million more than Edler.

1 hour ago, Harvey Spector said:

Tryamkin hasn't even scratched the surface yet. With proper coaching and development by the time he hits his UFA year he will be a top pairing D.

He pretty much has it all, size, good speed, thunderous hitting, long reach that he uses well, hard accurate shot, good break out pass, plays solid in his own end and is a strong presence in front of his own net.  The only thing he needs to learn is to fight properly and he will be the entire package. 

Juolevi  Tryamkin could form one of the better top pairings in the league in the next 3-4 years. They will become our two best defencemen. Props to JB for drafting both of them and creating a future top pairing for the next decade, which is the hardest thing to do when you are building a team.  

I couldn't agree more about his strengths you mention and JB deserves a lot of credit although I'd throw Stecher in that top pairing maybe Hutton as well as I see it now they'll be amazing in 3-4 years time also.

Defense should not only not be a problem but a valuable asset in our pocket, we'll be very deep and it will actually be a huge plus over other teams we're fighting against in the standings.

I also think we should start seeing more points from the back end on the future like we had years ago which is critical to the teams overall success.

I couldn't be happier about our future on defense especially seeing Sbisa grow and consistently playing at a high level and physical as well.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

The "I will bolt to Russia" card is kind of overplayed here.

The KHL salaries are not that great, aside from a couple of guys at the top.  The 9th top salary in the entire league is $1.5 million.... the 30th top salary is a million.  Tryamkin would almost certainly fall under that range as he isn't a big established name stolen from the NHL.  The working/travelling conditions there are also pretty horrible, especially compared with how NHL players are treated.

Unlike Hutton though, Tryamkin IS a player that has a unique skill set and could come back to burn you with a bridge deal.  

If you can add significant term and keep him under $4 million per... it is probably worth it to do.  I would have zero heartache with a 5x$3.75 deal.  If something goes entirely off the rails, you waive/play him in the AHL until he decides to pull the plug and go home.  Things would have to go pretty badly for a D to not be worth that salary though.  Sbisa had never been a + player in his career and commanded those kinds of dollars.

The worst case scenario with that kind of deal is you are overpaying a 3rd pairing D by a million or so.  The worst case in a bridge deal is that we save cap hit in the short term (which we don't really need), and get held at gunpoint at the end of 2-3 years if he is a top 4 guy... and that could be at a time when we really need that cap space to start really contending again.

Tryamkin would never agree to that. It'll be a bridge deal for 2-3 years at 3-3.5m.

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

If Benning waits for Tryamkin's contract to expire, and tries to sign him as a RFA, every team in the league will put in a bid on him.

The other GM's know exactly what the Canucks have in this guy... 6' 7" defensemen who can scate don't fall off TREES. 

That will drive the price up.

Better to sign him now before the season ends... lock him up for 4 years at a decent price.

No, every team in the league will not bid on him. The NHL is an old boy's club where offer sheets are frowned upon. 

11 minutes ago, DarthNinja said:

What's missing here is perspective and comparable worth. A guy like Sbisa has an AAV of 3.6 so imagine what N-Tram could get. He does everything Sbisa does, only he does it good.

I think you forgot what season we're in. Sbisa is awful comments are so last year.

People expecting him to gain more than 3x his value, when he isn't putting up the points or being a top guy on the PK (he sits 5th in TOI on the PK amongst defensemen- soon to be 4th coz of Guddy's injury) are fooling themselves. 
Tryamkin will get a bridge deal. But he isn't going upwards of 2.5 to 2.75 million at the very most. Not with 13-14 minutes/game of ice time to go along with it. Tryamkin has a tidy game with many tools, but he isn't killing it in any one tangibles yet.

So IMO, he will get a similar deal to Hutton,with a little bit less salary. 
We can have him for 5 more years and the next contract is still an RFA contract for him. I doubt he'd sign for 5 years with 2.75 million. Kid's not gonna sell himself short by that much.

Expect a 2-3 year 2.5 million-esque deal for him.

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

If Benning waits for Tryamkin's contract to expire, and tries to sign him as a RFA, every team in the league will put in a bid on him.

The other GM's know exactly what the Canucks have in this guy... 6' 7" defensemen who can scate don't fall off TREES. 

That will drive the price up.

Better to sign him now before the season ends... lock him up for 4 years at a decent price.

No this is very true, because he is a tree you see! I am Grooooot!!!

But in all seriousness, he is a beauty to watch. I think we can all agree that other teams are really starting to take notice and are starting to get intimidated by our boy. And that makes me soooo happy. We've been pushed around for too long.

Archived