The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] How boring Canucks style could trick them into trade deadline mistakes

LaBamba

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

No expectations, but really feel the Oilers fans are amongst the worst in the league. Every time is 'how many cups has your team won'.  Now it's how many 1st OA has your team had. 

I got family in Deadmonton and they are lovely people until hockey comes into the conversation.  That and Climate Change. 

They were the crappiest team in modern history and still sold out nearly every game. Those are some of the worst fans? Hahaha ok. And don't say it's because there is nothing to do in Edmonton. impling that the list is 10 fold when it comes to recreational activities in the dark winter rain of Vancouver. "What shall I do? Go to Canucks game or put on skinny jeans and check out new hookah bar? Me and my friends can sit around, smoke and talk about Alberta's impact on global warming. So much to do. 

WE are the worst fans in all if sports. This is no secret. 

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Have to agree. I hated the LE signing AND the term. 

I thought we would have signed a much more physical player who would chip in points wise for 3 years and then say "see ya" leaving the way clear for our up and coming prospects.

Frankly I don't think he is as bad as we all think and it can't be easy playing with the Twins when you are not related but still, he is just too soft for my liking.

I really thought JB was going to change the image of the team and he has to a certain extent with Try and Guddy but Ericsson was a lost opportunity imo.

The way I see it the Twins are a massive deficit in physicality and speed on this team and so every signing and every trade should be a compensation move - and this was one we flunked.

Loui looked like a different player last night playing with Sutter.  It's time to admit that the twins are a black hole of offense for anyone not named Sedin.  I'm not sure why WD refuses to put the one player who has consistently produced with them back on their line.  It's time for the twins and Burr to be reunited.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Loui looked like a different player last night playing with Sutter.  It's time to admit that the twins are a black hole of offense for anyone not named Sedin.  I'm not sure why WD refuses to put the one player who has consistently produced with them back on their line.  It's time for the twins and Burr to be reunited.

Or Hansen?

I can't wait for the Twins to retire now. I know that sounds cruel but I just feel we can't move on until they are gone. It's not fair to the coach or the fans that Linden has publicly put so much power in the hands of the Twins. Their defence is becoming a real clusterf--k and I guarantee no other pair of players, especially a pair of rookies would get such carte blanche to disappoint on our first line. 

We keep on trying new line mates and it always seems to be their fault, while the Twins waffle some post game banalities where everyone is to blame except them.

I concentrated on both team's power plays and the thing that stood out was how far away from the boards Nashville played while we did the exact opposite with often not even a player to contest the puck in front of the goalie.

My question to Hank would be "what exactly are you trying to achieve?" "How many shots on goal do you think is acceptable in 2 mins?"

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

Or Hansen?

I can't wait for the Twins to retire now. I know that sounds cruel but I just feel we can't move on until they are gone. It's not fair to the coach or the fans that Linden has publicly put so much power in the hands of the Twins. Their defence is becoming a real clusterf--k and I guarantee no other pair of players, especially a pair of rookies would get such carte blanche to disappoint on our first line. 

We keep on trying new line mates and it always seems to be their fault, while the Twins waffle some post game banalities where everyone is to blame except them.

I concentrated on both team's power plays and the thing that stood out was how far away from the boards Nashville played while we did the exact opposite with often not even a player to contest the puck in front of the goalie.

My question to Hank would be "what exactly are you trying to achieve?" "How many shots on goal do you think is acceptable in 2 mins?"

I would rather see Burr there and Hansen on Bo's line, where he can actually produce.

35 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Or Hansen?

The approach of management towards the 2011 vets is as if they are willing to sacrifice the now and the next few years out of respect for past service.  Screw the long suffering fans.  

What a nice bunch of guys.real character.  Foundational types.  

11 hours ago, riffraff said:

You sure it's not koolaid?:P

No, that would be thinking we're going to the cup. Loui's down year can be explained by a lot of factors including Willie, and also the fact that he never would have signed here knowing his line mates would be named Chaput, Megna, Granlund or even Sutter. Lets face it, he came here to be with the Sedins, and unfortunately this is also the year they decided to show their age too. There's a lot of things going on here. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

No, that would be thinking we're going to the cup. Loui's down year can be explained by a lot of factors including Willie, and also the fact that he never would have signed here knowing his line mates would be named Chaput, Megna, Granlund or even Sutter. Lets face it, he came here to be with the Sedins, and unfortunately this is also the year they decided to show their age too. There's a lot of things going on here. 

Maybe with the Baer injury, Loui will play with Bo, and Hansen back with the Twins?

Just now, Alflives said:

Maybe with the Baer injury, Loui will play with Bo, and Hansen back with the Twins?

Why not Bo and Loui? Loui did great with Brad Richards, Bo may not be the playmaker yet Richards was but they might find some chemistry. Unfortunately the twins are really showing their decline this year, so yah from that pov for sure it wasn't the best move to sign Loui, but he also has potential with other guys like Bo before we flush the guy. 

The crapping on Loui is pretty lame imo. Its very much like the treatment Sbisa still gets from a lot of CDC, a lot of confirmation bias going on and not looking at the situation. Of course my assessment of Willie is perfect and contains none of that kind of bias.... :lol:

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

I can't wait for the Twins to retire now. I know that sounds cruel but I just feel we can't move on until they are gone. It's not fair to the coach or the fans that Linden has publicly put so much power in the hands of the Twins.

Linen didn't JUST put power in the Sedin's hands, he washed his own of responsibility for the standings of the team and management's failure at improvement or trades.

The pressure is ALL on the Sedin's now, nobody's fault but theirs all because Linden said they will do nothing until the Sedins are gone.

It would not be fair to them to start a rebuild. Like how much worse would the team be if they had started a proper rebuild 3 years ago?

Loads of respect for the Sedin's though but it is coming to the time where the team needs to get some kind of a return to help a blow up and rebuild.

34 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

The approach of management towards the 2011 vets is as if they are willing to sacrifice the now and the next few years out of respect for past service.  Screw the long suffering fans.  

What a nice bunch of guys.real character.  Foundational types.  

how is anyone in management sacrificing the now or the future?  There's grasping at straws and then there's that statement......beyond ridiculous

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Linen didn't JUST put power in the Sedin's hands, he washed his own of responsibility for the standings of the team and management's failure at improvement or trades.

The pressure is ALL on the Sedin's now, nobody's fault but theirs all because Linden said they will do nothing until the Sedins are gone.

It would not be fair to them to start a rebuild. Like how much worse would the team be if they had started a proper rebuild 3 years ago?

Loads of respect for the Sedin's though but it is coming to the time where the team needs to get some kind of a return to help a blow up and rebuild.

He enevr said that at all.......they've turned over the large majority of their roster in the last two seasons........what is it you expect them to do?

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Or Hansen?

Linden isn't forcing the coach to play them 21 minutes a game like they got last night.  Linden doesn't for the coach to have the twin average a full minute more per game on the power play than Horvat. 

If the sedins are the problem, then stop giving them so much opportunity.  Every coach has tried splitting them up at some point, why hasn't WD even considered that.  Why would they want to leave? they are giving cushy roles here and have zero expectations.  Score or don't score they still get 1st line minutes and opportunity, and that is on the coach.   

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

They were the crappiest team in modern history and still sold out nearly every game. Those are some of the worst fans? Hahaha ok. And don't say it's because there is nothing to do in Edmonton. impling that the list is 10 fold when it comes to recreational activities in the dark winter rain of Vancouver. "What shall I do? Go to Canucks game or put on skinny jeans and check out new hookah bar? Me and my friends can sit around, smoke and talk about Alberta's impact on global warming. So much to do. 

Coming from a canucks fan in Winnipeg, this is true.

FYI I find the Canucks nation wide fanbase to be much higher in quality then the local fanbase... not saying all the Vancouver based fans are bad at all but just an observation.

Just now, stawns said:

He enevr said that at all.......they've turned over the large majority of their roster in the last two seasons........what is it you expect them to do?

It is in "print".

Turning over the roster doesn't mean improving the roster.

The only reason the team average age is younger is due to the younger 3rd and 4th liners.

The biggest possible improvement is possibly on the defence, but that is more age related than skill necessarily.

Is Sbisa that much better than Stanton was?

Look at what they changed on D. 2013/2014 season.

Garrison 33 pts

Stanton 16 pts

Weber 10 pts

Bieska 24 pts

Apart from KB, the rest were in their 20's

Being younger does not mean better.

Great OP by @LaBamba. This is exactly the kind of analysis the Canucks should be doing but is, I suspect, the kind of thing Benning does not want to be bothered with. He would prefer to convince himself by the "eye test" that the Canucks look competitive.

The Canucks may hang around on the margins of the playoff race but they are not close to having the nucleus of future Cup contender. Personally, I have followed the Canucks for a long time and have seen many playoff teams but only a few genuine Cup contenders (and, of course, never an actual Cup). I want to see a Cup contender again. And that takes a rebuild. The Sedins have had great careers but there is no way they can be the central building block for a Cup contender now or down the road.

The Canucks should be doing everything they can to rebuild the pipeline, not wasting money on vets like Eriksson. But Benning just refuses to see things that way. I find it discouraging that we have to hope that Benning somehow gets forced into doing the right thing (trying to make deadline trades to acquire extra picks) instead of actually wanting to do that.

And the fact that both the high draft picks Benning has had are disappointing does not help. (I don't want to restart the argument about whether Juolevi was a good pick over Tkachuk or not. Pretty much everything that can be said has been said already. And the debate reminds of the Virtanen discussion. The Benning loyalists will of course defend the pick. Time will tell. But the Virtanen pick was obviously a swing and a miss.)

Benning has done well with lower draft picks and obviously signing Stecher was good (although it is hard to give Benning credit for that at Stecher wanted to come back to Vancouver). But I cannot think of any other aspect of the GM job that he has done well so far.

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

how is anyone in management sacrificing the now or the future?  There's grasping at straws and then there's that statement......beyond ridiculous

By not approaching aging assets with NTCs to waive.  We don't have a lot of assets to move but we could acquire some decent futures with what we have but being too nice to make hard business decisions could cost us that.

State your case if you have one but drop the dismissive arrogance.  It is so juvenile. 

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Yah I heard there was a real buzz in town when they opened up a Cactus Club.

Of course there's less to do in Edmonton, and yes that does play into the fan base there. Take away oil and the oilers and you have.................. exactly. 

The biggest problem with the Canucks fan base is the large number of part-timers, that keep a Habs or Hawks sweater under the bed for the team they really like and then sh!t on the Canucks the rest of the year. It much easier and fun for these folks to crap on all things Canucks when daddy and grandad loved the Habs. 

Archived