The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van trade with Mtl.

Listening to Pierre Lebrun this morning I thought that this trade would benefit both teams.

Tanev for M. Sergachev straight up.

Montreal's window with Carey Price is to win now.  They need a steady D man to play with Shea Weber (according to Pierre Brun Emeilin is not working out).  Tanev is in his prime and would be a perfect fit with Weber.  That pair could could log 30 minutes a game.

Sergachev would be a top end offensive D man prospect that our young D is missing.  The Russian connection with Tryamkin would also be great.

I know these are two teams that need Goal Scoring but this trade makes sense to me.  Montreal needs to get better now and we need to team build for the future.  We could also send Hansen to Montreal for picks and b prospect.  He would fit in great there.

Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Tanev and Subban for Sergachev might work. Not sure about the Cap or EDraft implication for MTL though.

I don't think Tanev get's you Sergachev straight up though. MTL is pretty high on him, even if he's not a great defensive player right now.

I wasn't sure if we could get Sergachev out of Mtl. at all.  They have good reason to be super high on him....I was super high on him even over Juolevi at last seasons draft.  I was just thinking that the value could be viewed as even because as good as Sergachev looks he is still only a prospect..... a high end one but still just a prospect.  Tanev can be a top pair D man for them now.

Weber and Tanev both play the right side and always have to the best of my knowledge. I seriously doubt Montreal would want Tanev to pair up with Weber as there would be a risk that neither of them could be effective on their off side. They are more likely going to be looking for a LHD such as Edler but I think that is an unlikely trade unless Edler surprises and waives for Montreal.

25 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

You would have to add quite a bit to either Edler or Tanev to get Sergachev from Montreal, probably a high draft pick or 1 of our 3 top prospects (OJ/Demko/Boeser). Montreal also needs a LHD so that would probably exclude Tanev.

Maybe, but adding anything makes little to no sense for us. You're right that Montreal could be looking for a LHD to replace Markov eventually (with Emelin and Beaulieu otherwise on that side) since they have Weber and Petry long term on the right.

I don't see this as a deal either side would agree on.

Have also put some thought into these two teams, at deadline. Still think they're a good match. If Edler won't go..send Sbisa. We've got McEneny & Pedan to try out for LH D-depth..& it's not as if we're up near the top anyways.

- Mtl should target now; we should be looking a coupla' yrs down the road

- I'd like to see a deal where we send them fwds as well, & get lots of futures in return(Habs have a mitt-full of 2nd's)

- We could take back some of their lame contracts..easily balance cap

With the Canucks current standing, pretty frustrating to see them cap-maxed, & vulnerable to squandering a decent piece to expansion.

Get BUSY BENNING!!!

3 hours ago, Derp... said:

Tanev and Subban for Sergachev might work. Not sure about the Cap or EDraft implication for MTL though.

I don't think Tanev get's you Sergachev straight up though. MTL is pretty high on him, even if he's not a great defensive player right now.

I often think people on this board undersell the fact Tanev is a proven commodity in the league whereas Serghachev is an unproven junior prospect. If they want to win now and they think Tanev is the type of D-man they need they should be more than willing to part with him straight up.

To Alf's point (and trust me I am writing down the moment I agreed with that furry little bugger) wouldn't we prefer to add a young forward rather than add more prospects in the D-pool.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we trade Tanev, shouldn't the return be a young forward?  Plus, the Habs want someone to play with Shea Weber.  They would be more interested in Edler.

Edler or Tanev sounds good to me, I like Sergachev. We can use Hanson+ to get a young forward.

5 hours ago, Derp... said:

No way Tanev straight up or forget it.

4 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

You would have to add quite a bit to either Edler or Tanev to get Sergachev from Montreal, probably a high draft pick or 1 of our 3 top prospects (OJ/Demko/Boeser). Montreal also needs a LHD so that would probably exclude Tanev.

I would not add anything, experienced top 2 D-man are expensive. Remember Sergachev is someone the Habs don't want.

Archived