The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT]: Canucks vs. Red Wings, Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 Rogers Arena 7PM Pacific

Qwags

20 hours ago, Qwags said:

Initially, I was going to write Burrows in next to Horvat, then strike his name out, and replace it with Boucher. But the wound is to fresh to do that.

I did not like Willie's comment in the pre-game interview when he was asked if Horvat would get the "A". He said "we will probably move it around".

Horvat is the obvious candidate. And presumably Benning is trying to get him re-signed long term on a reasonable contract. It might help if Willie treated Horvat with the respect he deserved. Horvat is a great young guy with a high ratio of ability to ego, but if he has any ego at all I am sure he has noticed that he started the season on the 4th line and has never been given the PP time he deserves. The Canucks should be falling all over themselves to treat him with respect so that he signs long term (and for the good of the team) as Horvat as the obvious leader of the emerging young core.  Henrik is a different generation and is no longer able to lead by example and now that Burr is gone, Horvat needs to step in. So, note to Willie: how about helping Horvat take on that role instead of standing in the way.

9 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

The future is starting to look up:

- Dahlen in the fold 

- Lots of draft picks this year

- Maximum of 21 games of idiot Willie left 

Right now the Canucks have 5 draft picks instead of the standard 7. That is not "lots of draft picks". Possibly they will get the Columbus second round pick they are owed this year.

41 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Got a feeling if we see Hansen and Miller playing tonight, they won't be traded. Benning has already done more this TDL than last, so I'm fine with it. If they don't get moved, I can see them keeping Hansen and re-signing Miller. Wouldn't be overly upset if they traded Edler though.  

Benning did nothing of significance in terms of getting more prospects for picks at the last two deadlines. So, yes, the one move he made this year is "more". But it will be disappointing (to me at least) if he does not move Hansen and/or Miller and I would like to see him do more as well.

The Burrows move makes sense, of course (much as I like Burr) but it just replaces the high 2nd round pick Benning gave up in the Gudbranson trade last year (where the Canucks might have taken Dahlen).

If Benning had sat on his hands during this deadline I think the fan discontent might have been enough start a "fire Benning" movement that Aquillini might have listened to. Benning may have done just enough to save his job but still doesn't seem to want to commit to an actual rebuild.

And here I thought the forum crashed because of overloaded commentary surrounding a block-buster trade....

Getting a prospect for Burrows is better than my plea to buy him out over the summer. Well done JB.

Good luck sans Burrows Nucks. 

GCG

12 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

He's under contract for another year. Dream on if you think Aqualini wants to be paying 3 head coaches next year (still paying torts)

Would he rather have an emptier arena? 

You think only coaches with expiring contracts are fired? 

Willie is an incompetent fool 

He's under contract for another year. Dream on if you think Aqualini wants to be paying 3 head coaches next year (still paying torts) 

Isn't Willie only making a mluo per year? If so, I'm pretty sure Aquaman would be fine carrying that if it meant putting g a better option behind the bench.

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

If Hansen gets hurt tonight, there will be a serious hate-storm heading towards the team cause they didn't sit him out.

Of it means a Trade opportunity was lost, the hate would be justified.  Same goes for Miller.

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Isn't Willie only making a mluo per year? If so, I'm pretty sure Aquaman would be fine carrying that if it meant putting g a better option behind the bench.

Why would he bother? This team is years away from being playoff competitive again. Don't be surprised if Willie sees out the rest of his contract.

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Yep.

This is the same guy that was willing to pay Sundin 9 mil for half a season. They're not going to lose sleep over a mil.

Just now, hlinkas wrister said:

Why would he bother? This team is years away from being playoff competitive again. Don't be surprised if Willie sees out the rest of his contract.

If the team is serious about   creating a competitive culture and always icing the team that gives them the best chance of success, why would the coach be exempt?  If there are better options out there - and that would not be difficult - the players deserve to see  a coaching change made.

Archived