The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Does Juolevi Stack up? vs D Peers in top 10

Rush17

Are you happy with Juolevi as a pick?  

255 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been wanting to start this conversation for quite sometime.  Since November to be exact :D  I have been very excited about Juolevi as a prospect for our Provinces team.  I wanted to ask the community how they feel Juolevi stacks up vs his peers in the past few draft classes.  In terms of both the view of him when he was drafted and where he stands now.  There has been quite a bit of discussion around whether or not Juolevi is having success this season.  Many of the media pundints and canucks executives all say he is having a terrific season yet there is still some doubt out there due to the only slight increase points this season over last.  I think those people can share their opinions with us and help us maybe come to some sort of a conclusion.  I think some context would be good for all of us.  

Please join in the conversation and share your thoughts!

Please rank the following players from the past 3 drafts in order of who you feel will be the best player.  (all 10 players are top 10 drafted D)

Seth Jones (4)
Darnell Nurse (6)
Ristolainen (8)

Ekblad (1)
Haydn Fleury (7)

Noah Hanifin (5)
Ivan Provorov (7)
Zach Werenski (8)

Olli Juolevi (5)
Mikhail Sergachev (9)

Juolevi stat's from last season and games up to this evening:

CAREER STATISTICS Use/Embed statistics RSS feed

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP G A TP PIM +/-      POST GP G A TP PIM +/- 

2015-16 stats_arrow.gif London Knights stats_arrow.gif OHL 57 9 33 42 16 38 | stats_arrow.gif Playoffs 18 3 11 14 4 15 
  stats_arrow.gif Finland U20 stats_arrow.gif WJC-20 7 0 9 9 4 6 |              
 2016-17 stats_arrow.gif London Knights stats_arrow.gif OHL 53 9 32 41 34 23 |              
  stats_arrow.gif Finland U20 C.png stats_arrow.gif WJC-20 6 0 2 2 0 -2 |              

TOURNAMENT STATISTICS
 2010-11 stats_arrow.gif Finland Selects U13 stats_arrow.gif QC Int PW 4 0 1 1 6   |              
 2014-15 stats_arrow.gif Finland U18 stats_arrow.gif Hlinka Memorial 4 0 1 1 4 2 |              
  stats_arrow.gif Finland U17 stats_arrow.gif EYOF 3 1 1 2 0 1 |              
 2015-16 stats_arrow.gif London Knights stats_arrow.gif M-Cup 4 0 7 7 4 6 |

- See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=196391#sthash.GpJXYfSP.dpuf

Please join in! I wish we could get someone like Craig Button to compare him to the players of the past few drafts.  All the prospect experts feel he is having a good season despite the growing discontent.  I think we can add that element to the conversation.  Thanks for participating in the discussion.

1.) Ekblad

2.) Werenski

3.) Jones

4.) Juolevi

5.) Sergachev

6.) Provorov

7.) Nurse

8.) Hanifin

9.) Ristolainen

9.) Fluery

I think currently I would rate him around 4 or 5 on this list myself.  Juolevi has a more complete game like Seth Jones.  It's really difficult to rate them from between 4-6 for me because of the offensive elements of both Sergachev and Provorov but I think Juolevi's all around game could make him better overall.  Share your thoughts! no one is wrong and everyone is entitled to their own opinions :D

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

1.) Ekblad

2.) Werenski

3.) Jones

4.) Juolevi

5.) Sergachev

6.) Provorov

7.) Nurse

8.) Hanifin

9.) Ristolainen

9.) Fluery

I think currently I would rate him around 4 or 5 on this list myself.  Juolevi has a more complete game like Seth Jones.  It's really difficult to rate them from between 4-6 for me because of the offensive elements of both Sergachev and Provorov but I think Juolevi's all around game could make him better overall.  Share your thoughts! no one is wrong and everyone is entitled to their own opinions :D

Current Talent:

1) Ekblad (Future captain, big body, great attitude he's exactly what I would want in a D-Man)

2) Jones (He was sheltered a little in Nashville, but he's now finally showing how great a D he is)

3) Werenski (The things he's doing as a rookie are completely amazing could possibly reach 50pts in his first season. Truly remarkable)

4) Ristolainen (He's a great defenseman, big man, big shot, can eat minutes for a living. Easy choice for 4th)

5) Provorov (His potential could be out of this world. If he translates he could be one of the best D on this list)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potential

6) Juolevi/Sergechev (Both could potentially be top pairing d-men with Serg being the more offensive of the two. Higher ceiling for Sergechev, higher floor for Juolevi. Too early to call who's better.

7) Juolevi/Sergechev (refer above)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Lack of Progression

8) Hanifin (His scoring hasn't translated yet, but he'll be a solid 30-40pt guy in a few years. Solid defensively)

9) Nurse (Hasn't really solidified a spot in the league yet. Physical beast but his scoring hasn't translated yet. Could be a solid defense d-man. 

10) Fleury (Hasn't cracked a spot in the big leagues yet and his scoring in the A isn't looking pretty)

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Was this pole made by the Liberal election reform committee? 

no lol. just me. 

8 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Isn't there already a OJ thread where this is all being discussed?

yes there is. but this is a discussion separate comparing him vs his peers in the past couple draft years.

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What's the kid had, already 3 or 4 concussions?

For a big, young D that needs to hit, I'd be hesitant to commit to that lengthy contract.

For a d like ekblad a number one already versus potential in oj it's a easy choice.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I have been wanting to start this conversation for quite sometime.  Since November to be exact :D  I have been very excited about Juolevi as a prospect for our Provinces team.  I wanted to ask the community how they feel Juolevi stacks up vs his peers in the past few draft classes.  In terms of both the view of him when he was drafted and where he stands now.  There has been quite a bit of discussion around whether or not Juolevi is having success this season.  Many of the media pundints and canucks executives all say he is having a terrific season yet there is still some doubt out there due to the only slight increase points this season over last.  I think those people can share their opinions with us and help us maybe come to some sort of a conclusion.  I think some context would be good for all of us.  

Please join in the conversation and share your thoughts!

Please rank the following players from the past 3 drafts in order of who you feel will be the best player.  (all 10 players are top 10 drafted D)

Seth Jones (4)
Darnell Nurse (6)
Ristolainen (8)

Ekblad (1)
Haydn Fleury (7)

Noah Hanifin (5)
Ivan Provorov (7)
Zach Werenski (8)

Olli Juolevi (5)
Mikhail Sergachev (9)

Juolevi stat's from last season and games up to this evening:

CAREER STATISTICS Use/Embed statistics RSS feed

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP G A TP PIM +/-      POST GP G A TP PIM +/- 

2015-16 stats_arrow.gif London Knights stats_arrow.gif OHL 57 9 33 42 16 38 | stats_arrow.gif Playoffs 18 3 11 14 4 15 
  stats_arrow.gif Finland U20 stats_arrow.gif WJC-20 7 0 9 9 4 6 |              
 2016-17 stats_arrow.gif London Knights stats_arrow.gif OHL 53 9 32 41 34 23 |              
  stats_arrow.gif Finland U20 C.png stats_arrow.gif WJC-20 6 0 2 2 0 -2 |              

TOURNAMENT STATISTICS
 2010-11 stats_arrow.gif Finland Selects U13 stats_arrow.gif QC Int PW 4 0 1 1 6   |              
 2014-15 stats_arrow.gif Finland U18 stats_arrow.gif Hlinka Memorial 4 0 1 1 4 2 |              
  stats_arrow.gif Finland U17 stats_arrow.gif EYOF 3 1 1 2 0 1 |              
 2015-16 stats_arrow.gif London Knights stats_arrow.gif M-Cup 4 0 7 7 4 6 |

- See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=196391#sthash.GpJXYfSP.dpuf

Please join in! I wish we could get someone like Craig Button to compare him to the players of the past few drafts.  All the prospect experts feel he is having a good season despite the growing discontent.  I think we can add that element to the conversation.  Thanks for participating in the discussion.

I guess we know who the next whipping boy is going to be.  Virtanen is playing well, so I guess OJ is up next.  Poor kid.

1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

Juolevi can get concussions to yenno. 

Best if our kids delay this unfortunate occurrence as long as possible. Like Lindros & Pronger, some pretty major, impressive careers have been toppled. Don't really like how the league has inadequately addressed the issue, either.

I personally think his top potential is the clear number 2 guy which would be fine where he was drafted and what is ceiling is. 

We'll still need to find a bonafide number 1 lest we put him in the same situation we did with Edler in his time here. 

This is not to say it's impossible he becomes that guy but he would have to exceed his draft potential a great deal and that's too much to hope for or expect.

Olli has shown at two important levels that he can dominate against his peers at the junior level and world level.

Given that he matures and bulks up, he has the necessary skills and smarts to be very successful.  He has vision beyond a lot of young dman do have at a young age.  He is going to need some seasoning, but like a late Luc Bourdon, the expectations were exceeding high, but he oozes potential

Juolevi is a great prospect but I always wonder where he would have been drafted if he didn't play on a stacked London team or a stacked Finland team.

He got so much exposure because of this I worry it influenced his draft position to be too high. Where would a guy of his skill set been drafted if he didn't play on those teams? Where would he have been drafted if this year was his draft year? I mean he's not even the best defenseman on his team right now.

I think he's got a great skillset to be a solid 2 way guy but I don't think he'll ever be a top pairing guy and he was probably drafted a bit too high. That said if he becomes a Dan Hamhuis type guy then it still was a good pick.

Chychrun is doing pretty well considering he's been thrown into one of the worst teams in the NHL. He's certainly the most NHL-ready and there was always talk of him going 1st or 2nd overall. Has a poor second half of his junior year and slips to 16th for Arizona but now look at him. 6 NHL goals in 54 games with the worst team in the league. He may still have star potential if they didn't rush him so fast. 

I think in all honesty Sergachev is looking like the riskier pick - big, physical, Russian putting up points. Juolevi has been far more consistent. Similar point totals, Sergachev's a bit better but the Canucks needed a slick puck moving PPQB and that's what Juolevi is. He's still putting up similar points despite his team losing a lot of skill up front. 

I honestly think those 3 were the big ones in the draft and either of them could have great success - it really depends more on their development now than where they were drafted. Chychrun is having his development destroyed in Arizona, Montreal is going to slowly help Sergachev in the right way with plenty of Russian help and hopefully Vancouver don't mess up Juolevi's development and ease him slowly into the AHL and eventually, when his body is ready, the NHL, which I think they'll do just fine.

Compared to the likes of Provorov and Werenski though, I don't think these newer defencemen are anywhere near as good as those franchise guys.

Back at the Draft, the two players I liked were Sergachev and Keller. Sergachev was always the riskier pick, but I didn't the risk was as high as some others. Juolevi was the defenseman I knew the least about out of Sergachev and Chychrun, so I was disappointed when we picked him. However, after reading up on him and getting to watch him play, he definitely looks like a really good player. I think Sergachev's skillset is still more appealing as a big, offensive defenseman compared to Juolevi's sound, 2-way game. That doesn't mean that he won't be a great player for us though. I just thought it would be easier to find a defenseman like Juolevi in the later rounds versus a guy like Sergachev later on, as Benning showed with the Brisebois pick. 

In terms of ranking, I think it would be something like this:

1) Ekblad

2) Jones

3) Werenski

4) Ristolainen

-----------------

5) Provorov

6) Hanifin

7) Juolevi

8) Sergachev

-----------------

9) Nurse