The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Stars Sign NCAA D-Man Bayreuther

Warhippy

http://www.tsn.ca/stars-sign-ncaa-standout-d-bayreuther-1.696899

The Dallas Stars edged out the Buffalo Sabres to sign St. Lawrence University standout Gavin Bayreuther.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reports the Stars are expected to officially announce the signing of the defenceman on Wednesday.

Bayreuther, 22, owns eight goals and leads the Saints with 29 points in 30 games this season. He has also taken a team-high 104 shots on net. 

McKenzie reports the senior is expected to sign amateur tryout contract with the AHL's Texas Stars to play this season, and sign a two-year entry-level contract which will kick in for the 2017-18 season.

Bayreuther scored 12 goals and added 17 assists in 37 games with the Saints last season and owns 35 goals and 76 assists in 142 career NCAA games at St. Lawrence.

27 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Geez, how many young D-men do they need?

Klingberg (24 years old)

Lindell (22)

Honka (21)

Johns (24)

Oleksiak (24)

Pateryn (26)

Nemeth (25)

Hansson (22)

Martenet (20)

Backman (24)

Hache (23)

Ebert (22)

As many as we do.

People always want depth.  We're starting to acquire it.  But how many of those will turn in to NHL regulars?  More importantly how many of those are capable of manning a blue line to a cup win.

Can never have enough!!

41 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

As many as we do.

People always want depth.  We're starting to acquire it.  But how many of those will turn in to NHL regulars?  More importantly how many of those are capable of manning a blue line to a cup win.

Can never have enough!!

I guess what I was getting at was, why would Bayreuther wand to sign there? He's competing against numerous guys (who are quite similar) for a spot.

Depth is good. And they are likely to lose one of the better guys on that list to the expansion draft. But what the Stars really need is a quality veteran top-4 guy to fill the void left by the departures of Goligoski/Demers. Hamhuis has been a disappointment for them.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I guess what I was getting at was, why would Bayreuther wand to sign there? He's competing against numerous guys (who are quite similar) for a spot.

Depth is good. And they are likely to lose one of the better guys on that list to the expansion draft. But what the Stars really need is a quality veteran top-4 guy to fill the void left by the departures of Goligoski/Demers. Hamhuis has been a disappointment for them.

Edler?

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Edler?

Yeah, maybe. He certainly has proven to be a good partner for a free-wheeling Swedish RHD, playing with Karlsson internationally. So perhaps he'd be a good match with Klingberg.

From what I understand, Goligoski worked so well in that position because he was adept at making the first pass with speed and precision, allowing Klingberg and the forwards to capitalize on transitions. They are missing that skill in particular.

10 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

I'd rather move Tanev for more value then Edler for less. 

I'd rather keep Tanev as part of a excellent defense going forward and see what return Benning can manage for Edler, should he be wise enough to waive.

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd rather keep Tanev as part of a excellent defense going forward and see what return Benning can manage for Edler, should he be wise enough to waive.

Totally agree. Edler's time has passed in Vancouver and should go to a contender for his efforts here.

Stars still need a reliable goaltender that can get them deep in the playoffs. Kari Lehtonen has always been unsteady and I do not think he is the guy to be relied on in the playoffs despite playing more games than their other goaltender, Antti Niemi. Niemi's stats are not that great either.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Stars still need a reliable goaltender that can get them deep in the playoffs. Kari Lehtonen has always been unsteady and I do not think he is the guy to be relied on in the playoffs despite playing more games than their other goaltender, Antti Niemi. Niemi's stats are not that great either.

Honestly, it's not just their goaltending but their defense has been really, really bad. Hamhuis has been disappointing at best and Klingberg just fell off a cliff compared to last year. They are basically the Oilers of the past right now.

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

Klingberg (24 years old)

Lindell (22)

Honka (21)

Johns (24)

Oleksiak (24)

Pateryn (26)

Nemeth (25)

Hansson (22)

Martenet (20)

Backman (24)

Hache (23)

Ebert (22)

True... that being said a lot of those names might not pan out. 

You've got a lot of Stanton, Biega, Bartkowski quality guys in there IMO... 

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

Klingberg (24 years old)

Lindell (22)

Honka (21)

Johns (24)

Oleksiak (24)

Pateryn (26)

Nemeth (25)

Hansson (22)

Martenet (20)

Backman (24)

Hache (23)

Ebert (22)

Hutton (23)

Tryamkin (21)

Stecher (22)

Gudbranson (24)

Juolevi (18)

Pedan (22)

Brisebois (19)

Subban (22)

Olsen (20)

Neil (20)

McEneny (22)

Sooky if I got some ages wrong. I just guessed lol.

Compare to dallas, our D looks much bether set up for the future, thee first 5 there are pretty much locks for the future with so much depth with lots of potential. Can't wait for Benning to complete his top 6!

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

PPG in the NCAA is pretty damn good

Weaker conference though. Not a whole lot of NHL talent comes out of the ECAC.

For comparison, McNally was a point per game player as well. Looked like a decent prospect, but now struggles to put up points in the AHL.

The fact that Stecher has made an impact at the NHL level is quite impressive. It's actually pretty rare for undrafted college players (especially D-men) to do this. I think we really lucked out with him.

Archived