The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I expected him to split the twins, and keep them off the PP, at least together. Why not try one per unit? Why not put Daniel on the 3rd line? Is production screams 3rd liner. 

The Sedin's are elite passers, but the game has sped up around them. Chaput isn't going to change that. 

I'd actually like to see Chaput given 3rd line C duties with Sutter on his wing for a few games. Like you say he performed well in junior so that would be something I'd like to see tried. 

I can agree splitting the Twins is worth an experiment. The days of looking for that 'elusive' winger who will magically change the effectiveness of the Twins is likely/hopefully done. The time now is how the Twins will adjust their games to recover some effectiveness as 2nd liners. I do not see them as 3rd liners if they play together because of defensive problems. Danny still has a shot and could be effective in that role if split away from Henrik.  

I'll give Willie credit he sure tried something new with the lines and mixed things up, but considering we've seen the strongest play from Sedin-Sedin-Granlund and Baertschi-Bo-Boucher I'm a little confused why he chose to break those up. The only line that had anything last night was the one with our 3 strongest and most reliable players: Baertschi-Bo-Granlund. Unfortunately by doing that the Sedin line disappeared and no other line had much chemistry. This will be a painful last 12 games for Canucks fans, but it will pay dividends for next year.

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

We lost 2-0 

so so do we take comfort in holding them to 2 instead of 7? 

Noawadays in a game against a team that can't score teams dont need to "run up" the score. They simply switch to shut down mode and it's lights out. That's why there are so few 3rd period comebacks. 

So their shut down style is having Talbot save their bacon? Seems legit.

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

McDavid, Nuge, Eberly, Larsen.

Pretty much all better than all our players. 

Their supporting cast is really coming together too. 

Face it.  

Edmonton is a much better team than us right now, and only going to get better. 

They are due 

Oilers fans hate Nuge and Eberle and Larsson is basically a more physical Tanev with more offensive upside. Only gamebreaker is McDavid.

I've read all the comments - there is little to add - to the negatives or the positives.  I did think they played hard  and the score  could have been a little different with some puck luck (which we have none of it seems)

Mix up the lines some more - would like to see the Sedins split up too just to get a different look.  Come on WIllie - you can do it - just ....just do it

12 hours ago, Bo053 said:

I can't believe there are still some people who think we still have an "outside chance" at the playoffs lol. Beyond delusional.

This team is going to be in the bottom 5 in the league for the next few years

So who said that? Tell us something of worth. Pretty baseless post.

3 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

The question is: will Edmonton convert and win a cup before their salary cap woes take them back to the abyss?

The personnel on this team- even without McDavid- is too good to go back to being the worst team in the league.

All other things being equal, the 2013-2015 Oilers would've been a perennial bubble team if not for the D and goaltending. Put Larsson, Klefbom, Benning and Talbot in there in place of Ference/Nikitin/Fayne/Larsen/Scrivens and we're simply that much better.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I can agree splitting the Twins is worth an experiment. The days of looking for that 'elusive' winger who will magically change the effectiveness of the Twins is likely/hopefully done. The time now is how the Twins will adjust their games to recover some effectiveness as 2nd liners. I do not see them as 3rd liners if they play together because of defensive problems. Danny still has a shot and could be effective in that role if split away from Henrik.  

Yup sure. But one of them needs to be on the 3rd line unless you are willing to split up Bo and Baer. To me there really seems to be some great options if we can get over the idea that they are inseparable. E.g.,: 

Baer-Bo-Loui

Granny-Henrik-Boeser

Danny-Sutter-Goldobin

Gaunce-Chaput-Dorsett

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

They mailed it in so hard this game, everytime they were on the ice with Chaput they weren't even trying

5 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Look how quickly Boucher gets this shot off and how much he gets on it. CLANK !

Too bad he didn't score there. Probably would have really cheesed Willie off.

giphy.gif

Too bad the kid doesn't get more icetime.  Then Willie comes out and says Boucher WILL NOT play with the Twins.  Sure, why play a sniper with too terrific passers?  Willie is stuck in defence mode, when JB directed him to switch to development mode.  

17 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Look how quickly Boucher gets this shot off and how much he gets on it. CLANK !

Too bad he didn't score there. Probably would have really cheesed Willie off.

giphy.gif

Doesn't matter.  Its all about a 200' game.  Kessel, Ovechkin and P Kane would not get ice time under Willie.

• -SN- unfeatured this topic
2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

The more i watch Granlund the more i think he is going to improve the most and be a top quality goal scorer. Baer, i'm not sold on yet.

I think Granlund is a lot like Kessler only better.  He's the kind of player that would succeed anywhere in the lineup.  He can snipe, he can create (something he is much better at than Kessler), and he's fantastic defensively.  If he could only improve his face offs, he'd be a classic 2C.  I wonder if there's any way we could scoop his brother from Mini, maybe our 1st this year and Tanev?

52 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Doesn't matter.  Its all about a 200' game.  Kessel, Ovechkin and P Kane would not get ice time under Willie.

So you're suggesting Boucher=Ovechkin, Kessel or P Kane?  Give your head a shake!  What WD wants from the kids is a solid 200 foot game, because that's the way the game is played these days.  It's about work ethic, and drive!  If the above mentioned superstars had played for WD as rookies, yes he would have expected them to be more defensively responsible, however, as they earned their stripes on offense they likely they would have gotten some slack on defense much the way the twins have. 

I don't recall exactly what was going on with each of the above mentioned stars' teams as they came into the league, but none were likely as bad as the Canucks, who need EVERYBODY to back check, because if they don't they get scored on, and they don't the firepower to respond.  Sorry Boucher will be lucky if he EVER hits 20 goals, which is not enough offense to forgive a lackluster back check.  I know Chicago had a couple of Norris caliber defensemen, and were well ahead of us on the rebuild.  Kane was obviously a special player from the start and has been a + in all but three seasons.  How many cups has Washington won while Ovi has been there?  In spite of his usually being a + player, maybe they would have won one by now if Ovi was a more determined back checker and lead by example.  Seems like Kessel only saw real win column success once he got to Pittsburgh, where the best player in hockey is a 200 foot player.  his last year in Toronto, Kessel scored 61 points and was -34.  He has been a minus player in 8 of his 11 NHL seasons, so yeah maybe he should worry more about back checking too.

Boucher is a terribly slow skater, with one talent, a quick release.  He is currently too slow to fit on any but the 4th line in Vancouver.  He was obviously too slow to play for NJ, who is no better than the Canucks.  He was also too slow to play for Nashville.  Neither NJ nor Nashville are loaded with talent, yet Boucher could not stick.  He's a 4th round pick, #99 overall.  CDC needs to stop looking at some of these guys like they're the answer to our problems.  He was 99th for a reason.  He's been waived twice this year for a reason.  It might be his commitment to being in shape, but it's likely his speed.  I prefer we give the time to Cramarossa and Chaput.  I thought Cramarossa showed some good speed, and brings an edge.  He'll be a good 4th liner next year.  Chaput is a decent skater who can win faceoffs.  He is also a perfect 4th liner.  Boucher is more of a press box guy.

When Bo came into the league, he was forecast as a likely 3C.  Certainly nobody was forecasting that he'd become the beast that he has.  Willie has turned him into a 1C (probably 2C on a good team).  The rest of the young players he's had to work with were either drafted much lower or cast offs.  Those players get no slack, and are expected to work for their ice time.  Look at what Granlund did.  He went into the summer knowing WD's expectations.  He worked his tail off, and came to camp ready to compete.  He hasn't looked back.  Jake also went into the summer knowing what the expectations were, he was lazy, allowed himself to get fat, and EARNED a ticked to Utica. 

Are you saying that a different coach would have put up with Jake being lazy, playing shift after shift like he was on a Sunday skate, coming to camp way out of shape, because he has some offensive potential?  WD has yet to work with a top 3 pick, so maybe reserve your judgement until you see what he does.

5 hours ago, drummerboy said:

McDavid, Nuge, Eberly, Larsen.

Pretty much all better than all our players. 

Their supporting cast is really coming together too. 

Face it.  

Edmonton is a much better team than us right now, and only going to get better. 

They are due 

They are better than us sure but other than McDavid, the other types of players, the Eberle's Larsen's and Nugent-Hopkins' are attainable through the draft or UFA signing. 

Without McDavid, they are nothing and it's been proven.

Archived