The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best TV Dads

Bill Sikes

Too often IMO, dads on TV are often portrayed as bumbling fools and childish idiots (Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin come to mind), good for a laugh but no one in their right mind would want their father to be anything like them.  Who are some of the best TV dads past and present, the ones who you would be proud of, the ones you think did the best job raising their kids and caring for their families?

My choices would be:

John Walton Sr

Charles Ingalls

Howard Cunningham

Dan Connor

in the homer simpson defense, in the early seasons of the simpsons, he was a great character. sure, he was a moron, but he was just a working class guy, who always chose his family over everything else. he hated his job, his boss but enjoyed drinking beer with the buds, and when he ****ed up, he would find a way to fix it, and did it for his family. he actually tries and thats a character almost every guy can relate to

28 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

in the homer simpson defense, in the early seasons of the simpsons, he was a great character. sure, he was a moron, but he was just a working class guy, who always chose his family over everything else. he hated his job, his boss but enjoyed drinking beer with the buds, and when he ****ed up, he would find a way to fix it, and did it for his family. he actually tries and thats a character almost every guy can relate to

Except most fathers who strangle their son when he misbehaves get charged with child abuse.  If you had to choose a TV dad to raise you would Homer be one of your top choices?

54 minutes ago, Bill Sikes said:

Except most fathers who strangle their son when he misbehaves get charged with child abuse.  If you had to choose a TV dad to raise you would Homer be one of your top choices?

the strangling thing-- there's a difference in where you realize that it's just a cartoon. homer never outright beat up his kids in a drunken stupor, because that's too "real life" in what some men actually do to their kids. bart is an easy character to just not sympathize with for how they portray that character, and when he does get choked out, you just think "well, he kinda deserved that." but there are instances were when barts getting choked out, he'll fight back and either KO homer or choke him out as well (like beating homer's head in with a telephone).

hell, even lisa, marge and the baby got in on strangling bart-- it's comedy. but when you look at homer's relationship with lisa and marge, and that's more believable, where he doesn't want them to be disappointed in him, and that's where he'll sacrifice everything to make them (and in some instances for maggie) happy

27 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

the strangling thing-- there's a difference in where you realize that it's just a cartoon. homer never outright beat up his kids in a drunken stupor, because that's too "real life" in what some men actually do to their kids. bart is an easy character to just not sympathize with for how they portray that character, and when he does get choked out, you just think "well, he kinda deserved that." but there are instances were when barts getting choked out, he'll fight back and either KO homer or choke him out as well (like beating homer's head in with a telephone).

hell, even lisa, marge and the baby got in on strangling bart-- it's comedy. but when you look at homer's relationship with lisa and marge, and that's more believable, where he doesn't want them to be disappointed in him, and that's where he'll sacrifice everything to make them (and in some instances for maggie) happy

You've made some very good points, and I am not saying Homer is a terrible father or that he doesn't have any positive qualities (I'd take him over a lout like Peter Griffin), I just think there are plenty of TV dads that are a more positive portrayal of Fathers than he is.

2 minutes ago, Bill Sikes said:

You've made some very good points, and I am not saying Homer is a terrible father or that he doesn't have any positive qualities (I'd take him over a lout like Peter Griffin), I just think there are plenty of TV dads that are a more positive portrayal of Fathers than he is.

i'd say characters like homer and al bundy, and dan conner are the more realistic and relatable characters-- like those real blue collar characters who kinda go nowhere but have their moments of hope, while struggling to provide for their family. i never watched a lot of little house on the prairie, aside from when i was a kid, but that character seemed to be on the ball

a character like peter griffin is a complete write off. family guy is never to be taken seriously xD but if you look at another similar show like american dad, stan is more relatable than anyone on family guy, and that show is just political satire

30 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i'd say characters like homer and al bundy, and dan conner are the more realistic and relatable characters-- like those real blue collar characters who kinda go nowhere but have their moments of hope, while struggling to provide for their family. i never watched a lot of little house on the prairie, aside from when i was a kid, but that character seemed to be on the ball

a character like peter griffin is a complete write off. family guy is never to be taken seriously xD but if you look at another similar show like american dad, stan is more relatable than anyone on family guy, and that show is just political satire

I'd say John Walton is a character people can relate to.  A blue collar type trying to support his family through a very tough economic time, who occasionally shows anger and frustration at the cards life deals him, he's there when the kids need him but also gives them enough room to make their own choices and experience the consequence of their decisions, but always doing his best to see that all of his kids get to achieve their dreams.

Archived