The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Day-Lewis Quits Acting

nucklehead

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/movies/shocker-daniel-day-lewis-quits-acting/ar-BBCXWJ7?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

Three-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis, widely considered one of the preeminent actors of his generation, is retiring from acting, Variety has learned.

The 60-year-old star, who has played presidents, writers, and gang leaders in a career that has spanned four decades, has one final film awaiting release, Phantom Thread, a drama set in the world of high fashion. It is scheduled to hit theatres on Dec. 25, 2017, and reunites him with Paul Thomas Anderson, who directed Day-Lewis to a best actor Oscar in 2007’s There Will Be Blood. Day-Lewis intends to help promote the movie, according to a person familiar with his plans.

He did not give a reason for his retirement. In a statement, Day-Lewis’ spokeswoman, Leslee Dart, confirmed the news: “Daniel Day-Lewis will no longer be working as an actor. He is immensely grateful to all of his collaborators and audiences over the many years. This is a private decision and neither he nor his representatives will make any further comment on this subject.”

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Honest question:

Am I the only one that doesn't care and believes he's as over-rated as humanly possible?

There Will Be Blood was as bland a movie as he is an actor.

Best of luck in his future endeavors though, maybe he'll be a better director if he swings that way.

Well it depends if you are talking about the movie or the performance

Gangs of New York was sort of a misfire (Cameron Diaz with an Irish Accent lol) but DDL was amazing as The Butcher. Then you have Lincoln and There Will Be Blood as some amazing a completley different performances.

24 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well it depends if you are talking about the movie or the performance

Gangs of New York was sort of a misfire (Cameron Diaz with an Irish Accent lol) but DDL was amazing as The Butcher. Then you have Lincoln and There Will Be Blood as some amazing a completley different performances.

Yeah, that's a valid point. His performance was fine in There Will Be Blood, but I still found what he was performing to be entirely uncaptivating, if you catch my drift.

The movie was too long, there was too much "I'm an oil man", and I just failed to buy in. Since he was in quite a bit of the movie I feel I can hold him accountable for my boredom.

But hey, the enjoyment of movies is subjective, and I happen to fall on the other side of the DDL Oscar winning fence.

I'd have to watch Gangs of New York again to comment (watched it twice many years ago) but it wasn't that great of a movie so I'll just go ahead and give you the win on that argument. 

The Last of the Mohicans was the last movie I liked of his, but that was so long ago I wonder if I'd feel the same way today.

Some people simply aren't entertained by other actors, kind of like how people roast me for not liking The Wire.

I don't care, sometimes that's just the way it is.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

The Last of the Mohicans was the last movie I liked of his, but that was so long ago I wonder if I'd feel the same way today.

Watched this just last year. It was even better than I had remembered.

The thing is, whenever you saw a film with Daniel Day Lewis in it, he was always the best part of the movie. He actually hasn't been in that many movies over the course of his career - likely due to being choosy with roles, and then immersing himself into them.

My wife was recently watching A Room With a View, one of those stodgy British dramas she loves and I generally avoid. I was watching some of it, and was bored... until Daniel Day Lewis suddenly showed up in a secondary role. Even in a subdued role of a subdued movie that I didn't enjoy, he absolutely slayed his performance. Every other actor paired in comparison.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

Yeah, that's a valid point. His performance was fine in There Will Be Blood, but I still found what he was performing to be entirely uncaptivating, if you catch my drift.

The movie was too long, there was too much "I'm an oil man", and I just failed to buy in. Since he was in quite a bit of the movie I feel I can hold him accountable for my boredom.

But hey, the enjoyment of movies is subjective, and I happen to fall on the other side of the DDL Oscar winning fence.

I'd have to watch Gangs of New York again to comment (watched it twice many years ago) but it wasn't that great of a movie so I'll just go ahead and give you the win on that argument. 

Some people simply aren't entertained by other actors, kind of like how people roast me for not liking The Wire.

I don't care, sometimes that's just the way it is.

I'm the complete opposite of you on There will be Blood, i thought it was one of the best acting performances of all time. The guy is one if not the best actor's of his generation, he is like a chameleon adapting to each role he plays. You can't teach that in acting schools, a generational talent to put it in hockey speak.

6 hours ago, Green Building said:

Am I the only one that doesn't care and believes he's as over-rated as humanly possible?

As others have said, it's not that his movies are necessarily bad, because aside from "Nine", they aren't. But because he's so choosy, the roles he takes are far more about the character than the movie he's in.

I love There Will Be Blood and enjoy Gangs of New York. However, I know that There Will Be Blood would be borderline unwatchable had Day-Lewis not been there to absolutely destroy his role. And Gangs would have been avoidable if not for Bill the Butcher.

But check out his role as Christy Brown in My Left Foot. As everyone knows, Day-Lewis becomes the characters in his roles. And the lengths he went to portray real life artist Christy Brown, who had cerebral palsy. His first of 3 lead actor awards at the Oscars (yeah, awards are meaningless), but that was the birth of Day-Lewis the actor.

While his performances are fantastic, My Left Foot is absolutely mind blowing.

Archived