The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

If its better for his development to dominate and gain strength in the AHL then thats what matters. He has a pace on the team when he's ready, no doubt about that. As it is there are other rookies that may make the jump and UFAs/free agents that can be signed as stopgaps/trade pieces for a year. Gaudette for one will be able to take a centre spot and then you have guys like MacEwen, Dahlen an Goldobin fighting for spots.

I don't think gaudette looked ready for the NHL in his short time

9 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

If its better for his development to dominate and gain strength in the AHL then thats what matters. He has a pace on the team when he's ready, no doubt about that. As it is there are other rookies that may make the jump and UFAs/free agents that can be signed as stopgaps/trade pieces for a year. Gaudette for one will be able to take a centre spot and then you have guys like MacEwen, Dahlen an Goldobin fighting for spots.

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Eriksson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Goldy-Sutter-Granlund

Leipsic-Gaunce-UFA/rookie

Trade and incorporate NHL ready rookies as the season goes on.

Utica

Dahlen-Pettersson-Lind

Motte-MacEwen-Jasek

gadj-Chaput-Palmu

So EP will be in the minors but Gaudette's starts at 2C? Agree to disagree. EP even has way more expierence playing against men.

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

No I’m with you on marinating prospects and not rushing them. However at the end of the day there are players Elias’ size in the NHL right now. I’d wager he’s in the NHL next year the kid is too good to keep out regardless of if he adds weight or not.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't think gaudette looked ready for the NHL in his short time

hmm I thought so, was good defensively, kept pace and didn't make many mistakes. You could also see the offensive potential in the last few games as well. More physically ready then our other prospects as well.

3 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

So EP will be in the minors but Gaudette's starts at 2C? Agree to disagree. EP even has way more expierence playing against men.

I just like that line. Put it as the third in that lineup if you want, makes little difference as we usually rotate lines anyways.

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

No I’m with you on marinating prospects and not rushing them. However at the end of the day there are players Elias’ size in the NHL right now. I’d wager he’s in the NHL next year the kid is too good to keep out regardless of if he adds weight or not.

Most of the guys his weight are smaller/ shorter in build. Pettersson is tall and lanky and therefore doesn't have a good low foundation and can be pushed over more easily.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Almost two whole periods now and the verdict is in -- can't believe we wasted a pick on that frail stringbean.  Shoulda drafted Ehlerz.

yah its got bust written all over it. He's doing fine, but it looks like he's not going to be gifted any minutes. And thats OK, its a new type of challenge for him to have to produce under a different set of circumstances. 

21 shifts tho to end the game so its actually a bit better than I thought. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Almost two whole periods now and the verdict is in -- can't believe we wasted a pick on that frail stringbean.  Shoulda drafted Ehlerz.

He's too soft like his older brother. There isn't room in the NHL for the Pettersson sisters.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

You can tell he has all the skill one could ask for, but he doesn't look physically ready. Far to easy to push off the puck and looks like he may of just gotten hurt because of it.(2min into third)

I think we may need to lower our expectations of him next year. Might not hurt for him to start in Utica, play centre and get stronger.

Funny how when he was dominating the SHL playoffs and also holding his own physically.. CDC was singing his praises. He has had 7 mins of ice time. What do you expect? and he is by no means getting pushed around. not sure what game you are watching? Ty[pical CDCA guy doesn't score in 6 mins of ice time, oh he isn't ready send him to Utica. Where was that talk when he broke every record possible not 2 weeks ago. Ankles hurting much?

I would say its extremely unlikely Elias starts in the AHL. He looked good out there. Very slippery, smart, and confident. He will only get better and bigger with time and I'm confident that will be with the Canucks. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Funny how when he was dominating the SHL playoffs and also holding his own physically.. CDC was singing his praises. He has had 7 mins of ice time. What do you expect? and he is by no means getting pushed around. not sure what game you are watching? Ty[pical CDCA guy doesn't score in 6 mins of ice time, oh he isn't ready send him to Utica. Where was that talk when he broke every record possible not 2 weeks ago. Ankles hurting much?

Right under your nose if you bother to look. All Im preaching is patience just like the professional coaches and scouts are. Watch his shift highlights after this game and count how many times he ended up on the ice(on his butt).

Hes a great player and will be a top line player for us, but that doesn't have to be next year like everyone seems to expect around here right now.

Edited by RetroCanuck

2 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I dont think this has anything to do with questioning his skill or lack of scoring in this game.  He is a brilliant player that ooozes with skill.  You can tell from the almost instantaneous decisions he makes with the puck.  Brilliant short passes and he made the right play most of the time.  If Klingberg was a little more open minded he probably would have set up Elias with an easy tap in.

Its not fair to lambaste the guy you are responding to, or question his "fandom", if he suggests the kid could do with some weight and strength gain.  I watched the game too, and he was on his rear quite a bit as the result of board battles.   Can we draw conclusions from one game, probably not.  But dont you think fans can raise a valid concern about how well he will be able to tolerate the Big D men of the western conference on a smaller ice surface? I have no doubt he will adjust, physically develop, its just a question of when.  Could take 1 day, could take 1 year....I personally think that he can play in the NHL.  Id rather have him here than expose them to AHL hacks who are trying to make a name for themselves.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Right under your nose if you bother to look. All Im preaching is patience just like the professional coaches and scouts are. Watch his shift highlights after this game and count how many times he ended up on the ice(on his butt).

Hes a great player and will be a top line player for us, but that doesn't have to be next year like everyone seems to expect around here right now.

Didn't realize Hallam was the end all of evaluating Swedish talent. Personally, I don't care if he falls on his but. As long as he keeps breaking every record put in front of him. As for strength in the NHL? sure it will be tougher for him. My point is elite players do not start in Utica. He has already proved he can handle the physical side of hockey. Not sure if you watched the playoffs? but he was engaged in every scrum it seemed and loved it.

1 minute ago, bp79 said:

Didn't realize Hallam was the end all of evaluating Swedish talent. Personally, I don't care if he falls on his but. As long as he keeps breaking every record put in front of him. As for strength in the NHL? sure it will be tougher for him. My point is elite players do not start in Utica. He has already proved he can handle the physical side of hockey. Not sure if you watched the playoffs? but he was engaged in every scrum it seemed and loved it.

We will see what happens, I have my opinion and you have yours and thats fine. I just think he needs some time to strengthen up but thats no slight on Petterssons game, just his genetics haha

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I dont think this has anything to do with questioning his skill or lack of scoring in this game.  He is a brilliant player that ooozes with skill.  You can tell from the almost instantaneous decisions he makes with the puck.  Brilliant short passes and he made the right play most of the time.  If Klingberg was a little more open minded he probably would have set up Elias with an easy tap in.

Its not fair to lambaste the guy you are responding to, or question his "fandom", if he suggests the kid could do with some weight and strength gain.  I watched the game too, and he was on his rear quite a bit as the result of board battles.   Can we draw conclusions from one game, probably not.  But dont you think fans can raise a valid concern about how well he will be able to tolerate the Big D men of the western conference on a smaller ice surface? I have no doubt he will adjust, physically develop, its just a question of when.  Could take 1 day, could take 1 year....I personally think that he can play in the NHL.  Id rather have him here than expose them to AHL hacks who are trying to make a name for themselves.

My point was after the SHL playoffs he more than proved how he can handle what was a very dirty and physical series. Now after 2 periods and 6 mins of ice time all of a sudden he"s back to not being ready? yet the same people 2 weeks ago were singing his praises. that was my point.