The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Who was it saying that Pettersson generally takes a game or two to find the next gear in a new environment? Because so far that seems to be holding true for the regular SHL season, SHL playoffs and now world championship. 

Exactly as expected , Now its up from here as he gets used to his team mates and they get used to him. He is world class talent! And where are all the he needs Utica posts today? Anyone claiming he needs any time in Utica will only look bad by game 5 or 6 of the NHL season. You can't ruin world class players they are just too good. They don't just fit in they take the team on their backs.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He started to settle in last game before spending most of the time on the bench lol.

Anyone his ice time and if any of those points were on the PP?

I'm not sure about his ice time but I believe both goals he was involved in were on the PP.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm not sure about his ice time but I believe both goals he was involved in were on the PP.

Thanks.  Yeah, it looked like PP setup given the time and space he had in the o zone.  I'm not sure how skilled France is but typically teams don't remain so passive in their own zone. I am excited to see him take off in 5-5 play. 

Pettersson with 1G 1A

Trymakin with 0G 1A

Horvat with what so far? anyone know his stats? he's been on a good line.

All Pettersson's points are on the PP. Horvat isn't getting PP time I don't believe. Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

His skating is not at all "average".

Just have to watch his last empty net goal it was his speed that allowed him to score. Or the countless wrap around goals. and only 19. WOW!

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Thanks.  Yeah, it looked like PP setup given the time and space he had in the o zone.  I'm not sure how skilled France is but typically teams don't remain so passive in their own zone. I am excited to see him take off in 5-5 play. 

Pettersson with 1G 1A

Trymakin with 0G 1A

All Pettersson's points are on the PP. Horvat isn't getting PP time I don't believe. Please correct me if I am wrong.

One apple, far as I know.

1 minute ago, Western Red said:

One apple, far as I know.

Really, that is surprising.  Good to know.  He probably does not get PP time like Pettersson. I am curious if Tryamkin gets any PP time.

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Pettersson with 1G 1A

Trymakin with 0G 1A

I just checked: while it doesn't look like the IIHF tracks if goals were on the PP on their website, France did take penalties right before each goal. 

I believe Horvat has three assists so far. 

37 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I suppose. But I think he was more referring to guys who consistently check the boards and just run around not accomplishing much other than putting themselves out of position.

I'm confident Gaunce knows the value of a good hit, or a hustle play that results in a takeaway. But guys who run around, rattling glass, chasing the play, and looking busy while doing next to nothing productive can sometimes earn praise for “energy” shifts that really don’t help their teams. 

I would agree that narrowly missed checks by freight train types do get noticed. Deservedly so. And guys get their heads on swivels watching out for the next time that train comes through. This can certainly be beneficial.

But an ineffectual “finish your check” attempt where a guy just throws himself  wildly into the boards (while the target is long gone) is the definition of “wasted energy” IMO.

Got what you are saying.. 

At the nhl level, no one does what gaunce is referring to as wasting energy. Missing a hit by a mile and getting out of position will not earn you any playing time.

His comment seems to be more geared towards ahl or even junior level players. I kind of find the comment a bit arrogant especially since gaunce is playing a role that needs to bring some energy and yet, he doesn't bring much energy. 

For example, virt brings energy. He may miss a hit but only narrowly. Gaunce doesn't even attempt and hence never misses. Therefore, he never quite gets the timing right for a big hit. It's like expecting to be a good three point shooter but all you practice is being in good position.

Gaunce needs to step up his physical game.

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

What aspect(s) of his skating would you consider above average?

He is deceptively fast. He finds open ice and beats players with speed. He has a gear that lulls players in and then he shifts into overdrive and gets around players. Making him more dangerous than just a fast player. Slow players don't score wrap around goals. EP has had a few this year alone. And not to mention break-aways and beating defensemen wide. makes me wonder if you have watched his highlight package? Its available on You-tube.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Really, that is surprising.  Good to know.  He probably does not get PP time like Pettersson. I am curious if Tryamkin gets any PP time.

I believe PLD is getting #1 PP, I also heard they played together but that doesn't make sense. I think Tryamkin just rocked someone and dished a beauty, but that's my imagination. Love the big guy.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Western Red said:

I believe PLD is getting #1 PP, I also heard they played together but that doesn't make sense. I think Tryamkin just rocked someone and dished a beauty, but that's my imagination. Love the big guy.

Oh ok. That would explain why Bo only has 1 assist if Dubios is getting PP time.  The big ice will be good for him to work on spreading his wings and work on his skating.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think in a straight line, because of his length, he’s faster than Marner and 

Ehlers.  Those little guys look faster than they actually are.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Oh ok. That would explain why Bo only has 1 assist if Dubios is getting PP time.  The big ice will be good for him to work on spreading his wings and work on his skating.

Horvat has 2 points through 3 games.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The only real knock on his skating is his acceleration. His top speed is fine and he has some of the finest edgework at that speed of any hockey player in the world. He's going to have add some muscle so he can make those plays in the NHL but will be fine as long as he's protected.

29 minutes ago, cory40 said:

He is deceptively fast. He finds open ice and beats players with speed. He has a gear that lulls players in and then he shifts into overdrive and gets around players. Making him more dangerous than just a fast player. Slow players don't score wrap around goals. EP has had a few this year alone. And not to mention break-aways and beating defensemen wide. makes me wonder if you have watched his highlight package? Its available on You-tube.

I've seen examples of what you're talking about and I agree. But his agility in the corners isn't at that level. That's where he gets knocked off the puck or on the ice a lot. I think he can improve a great deal in that regard. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've seen examples of what you're talking about and I agree. But his agility in the corners isn't at that level. That's where he gets knocked off the puck or on the ice a lot. I think he can improve a great deal in that regard. 

he just needs to play with one the corner guys to get him the puck.